Swiss Open 2007 - Day 6 (17 Mar) - Semi-final

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by suetyan, Mar 16, 2007.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic-Well...

...you are correct to put it that way...And true, like you wrote, "there aren't many pairs, even young pairs, who have sustained success against CW & TG"..
    And to somewhat answer your query abt "If age is such a factor, shouldn't other young pairs be at least equalling CW/TG?", i did note in my previous post "Consider also that only a handful of the young pairs have comparable or equal skills or playing styles as the other veteran players/pairs"..Also to somewhat tie this in, if you don't mind, do consider this, to whom did TG & CW lost to in these last 4 SS tourneys and compare to their current age(s)??..:confused: Also, i would like to put LYD&HJM's and FHF&CY's earlier wins over TG&CW as "successful (so far) not because of their youth but in spite"..;)
    Also, personally, i count KKK&TBH's record against TG&CW as 2-0, in favor of the young pair..The one lost they had last yr against TG&CW, personally, i don't really count that cos that was their 1st ever meeting together, both pairs were new & never played against each other(although, i understand, it stands as officially 2-1)..;)

Anyways, i'll end this here because it's somewhat trivial to debate this kind of issue & i know where your discussion(s) tend to go & i'll let others(esp. ones who've suggested "age" as a factor) chip in their opinions as well-sorry;)...
    Just to mention one last thing, I often hear some people say this, which also sounds like a hindsight, "What if Tony never left PBSI/INA/Candra, those yrs wasted too many apart"..Anyways..:rolleyes: :p ;)

#641 ctjcad, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Why is this EH-RS' last tournament together? Rian moving to Denmark to be with Yannie? :eek: :D

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The main reason why CW/TG win is because they are both very good doubles players and they know their own roles well. The main reason they don't win more is because they don't practise enough together. Age has very little to do with it. They seem very fast and powerful to me, and they don't seem to be exhausted. In fact, it is because they are older that they can perform at this level without having practised together much.

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I agree that they didn't look tired against the Malaysian pair in 3rd game. But talking about practice time, shouldn't Tony and Candra's vast experience compensate for the lack of practice time?

I was expecting them to clean up the MAS pair, based on the 2nd game's performance. Experience should also assist Tony/Candra in adapting to the opponents' change of tactics.

#644 abedeng, Mar 17, 2007
  5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yeah, I thought they would win too, the Djarum & independent pairs are really sharper than PBSI-bred ones. Too bad Danes are just too experienced at critical points ....

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Hendrawan has done well, I think his main focus was improving the fitness of both players substantially (you can really see it esp in Sony's case). That was how Hendrawan himself was able to upstage better skilled players during his playing days.

Remembered the time when Hendrawan ran a much younger Gade ragged in the Thomas Cup 2000 final, he lost but his fighting qualities inspired INA teammates to beat a very strong Danish team 3-2.

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Exactly my point. It was their vast experience that compensates. But they would be better if they also pratise together.

In the second game, KKK/TBH were giving the shuttle away, allowing CW/TG to attact relentlessly. In the rubber, KKK/TBH suddenly upped the pace and counter-attacked effectively.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ah, different input, thanks for chiming in..

..abedeng, for a while, i thought it would be just me and hcyong discussing on this trivial issue, but since you responded then i'd like to add a bit more..:p ;)
    Hmm, abt the statement i've highlighted in bold, in regards to lack of practice time, isn't that what i wrote in my post #634???...that was also part of the factor--->i don't know what was lost in this??..:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
    Also, i would consider the junction or round in which Tony&Candra lost..

#648 ctjcad, Mar 17, 2007
  9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was not talking about practice time. I was talking about the age. You said age was a negative factor for CW/TG. I said it was not a factor, it could even be a positive factor.

10. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

yeah.. in the first set LD was A-ok... it looked like a sudden injury... anyway,we need somebody here to upload the match so that we could clearly see it...:D

11. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    nope, i am from malaysia and i defended LD decision to retire, if you seen my earlier post. :p

12. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

off topic: have you seen the TI-10's that KKK/TBH use?... i'm really impressed with how they handled that racket... TI-10 was very head heavy... and to react with such quickness is amazing.. also, their netplays have really impressed me... not to mention the power that TI-10 gives their smashes.... is the newer version of TI-10 (the ones that they use) similar to the old one (except the color)?..

13. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Minor conflict with his partner.. Eng Hian might retire this year. I won't go into details. Anyway, maybe he will pair up with Yonathan (Yoke) who is currently in PBSI.. can still quit and join Djarum, but their rankings will be too low, and maybe can't go to the World Championships and even worse - Denmark Open. :crying:

He told me: "No more laundry, hahaha". "I think my results not bad".. And "thanks for your support last week in Birmingham".. :eek: Etc.

Aiya, Krisna = Gendeng

14. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I see... Yoke is a very talented guy... I consider him the most talented among the PB Djarum players of his generation... just not performing up to par compared to his compatriots yet... :cool: and he is around the same age as Rian... maybe 21 or 22 or something like that... Could be a longer term partnership compared to Eng Hian, who is around 30 this year...

Yoke's ranking is not very very low... around 30-something... Since Rian's ranking is pretty high [9], if they both team up, then they won't have problems going into GP or Superseries tournaments directly to the main draw. If they perform well, then I don't see why Djarum will shy away from sending them to the Denmark and French Superseries... :)

But Rian and Eng Hian have to decide fast. They can't let an indefinite partnership linger too long. Especially on Eng Hian's part if he is ready to retire, that is 100% his right... [he has been playing for 20 something years, we all can understand]... just let Rian and PB Djarum know sooner rather than later. Rian's career is at stake too... :cool:

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, thanks for the tidbit..

..gotcha-thanks for sharing that, yannie..Minor conflict??..So, the word is *might* on EngHian's part...As for you not seeing Rian soon, not to worry, you'll see him aplenty in the future..Perhaps even in the WC..;):D

16. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Krisna, Yoga/Yoke's ranking (March 15th 2007) is #32. But how come Rian told me he won't probably go to the WC and DO/FO? :confused: Is it up to Djarum to decide who they will send to tournaments?