Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

of course not, they are quite having their good job there as coaches...

2. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

The players have to be responsible for the result, not only BAM and coaches.
    I saw two XD pair, one of them 20-17 in the second set after winning the first one, lose at least five straight points and finally the game.
    Weak mentality is a thorn in the meat right now.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I think Malaysia is on the right track by employing young coaches, those who recently retire. Because the game is evolving and those just retired, would have the latest/updated experiences dealing with it.

That’s what Li Yongbo did when he started out as head coach of China.

4. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Finally, there will be a internal ranking in BAM, which will be held next year, twice in
    February and August.
    Time to replace out those who are not capable enough with juniors.

5. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

any link about this info?

6. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

7. Master

Master Regular Member

Boon Heong back to sort out BAM's doubles trouble

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) are set to welcome back 2006 Asian Games gold medallist Tan Boon Heong to the national side, as they look to strengthen the men’s doubles department for the Thomas Cup challenge in Bangkok in May.

BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria made the announcement after chairing the Coaching and Training (C&T) committee meeting at the Academy Badminton Malaysia (ABM) in Bukit Kiara today.

And in light of Malaysia’s turmoil in the men’s doubles department, BAM have agreed to have the 30-year-old back on a long term plan.

Actually Boon Heong was the one who requested to join us, after his partnership with Hendra Setiawan came to an end."

Looking at our men’s doubles department, we could use a player of his stature, of course on our terms."

So far we have Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong who are solid, but our second and third pair are still a little shaky."

We want to beef up for our Thomas Cup challenge, we want to have a formidable squad because we want to win,” said Norza, who also announced the promotion of Rosman Razak to women’s doubles head coach, where he will be assisted by former head coach Wong Pei Tty.

Since Rosman is now the women’s doubles head coach, there is an opening in the men’s doubles department."

We have a couple of coaches in mind, but we cannot reveal their names as we are still in the negotiating process.

Norza added that changes have been made to the Commonwealth Games (Gold Coast) squad based on players’ performance as well as some who were forced to be sidelined due to injury.

The Commonwealth Games final list closing date is on March 7, so we have to finalise our teams fast. The first is mixed doubles Tan Kian Meng-Lai Pei Jing will be replaced by Goh Soon Huat-Shevon Lai Jemie."

And in women’s doubles, Woon Khe Wei is out for at least six weeks and will be replaced by Chow Mei Kuan. As for women’s singles, we are still waiting to hear from head coach Tey Seu Bock. There could be a possibility where Goh Jin Wei will be replaced,” explained Norza.

As for the Thomas Cup, BAM can still make changes to the teams up to the end of March.

For now, Lee Chong Wei and Lee Zii Jia are the only two men’s singles confirmed for the Thomas Cup. The rest (Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Soong Joo Ven and Leong Jun Hao) will have to fight hard to earn their spots. We are also waiting for Soon Kit to present his assessment. We want the men’s singles and doubles coach to work together well.

The Malaysian contingent will hold their centralised training a week before the Thomas Cup, which gets underway on May 20, and are tentatively looking to leave for Bangkok on May 16.

Other matters discussed at the C&T meeting: Coaches received 2017 bonuses amounting to RM230,000 in conjunction with Chinese New Year.

Players ranked outside the national top three will have to play in more than just one event in tournaments.

Source : https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/2018/02/335274/boon-heong-back-sort-out-bams-doubles-trouble

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Rashid Sidek gives green light to BAM for signing Li Yongbo as a Chief coach

(
    Pictured : could be the new partnership)
    [​IMG]

Regardless of all the negative publicities, Li has achieved remarkable success during his 24-year reign as the Chinese badminton chief coach, leading China to 18 Olympic gold medals,10 Sudirman Cup championships, nine Uber Cups and five Thomas Cup championships. And on Tuesday, former Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) men’s singles coach Rashid Sidek told reporters that BAM should hire Li Yongbo to fill the BAM chief badminton coach spot vacated by Morten Frost.
    “Yongbo is very strict on discipline. Players such as Lin Dan and Chen Long have profound respect for him,” said Sidek.

“Countries like China, Japan and South Korea are doing better in conditioning and upbringing of young players compared to Malaysia,” added Sidek.

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Good thing LCW is retiring soon, I don't think he would flourish under LYB given their history.

10. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Actually, Norza (BAM president) said that he can consider taking Li Yongbo to join BAM. Not sure if LYB is interested, though.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

However, LYB way of training and regime is pretty strict and hard, but proven to be useful in producing great shuttlers. I have no problem with him in BAM but some players and top guys may not be very happy with that.

12. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Also really weird, Jeremy Gan went to coach XD for JPN for a few months and already won an All England title.
    Why MAS players is inherently different, huh?

indrg and Loh like this.
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    BAM has a lot of instability with its head coaches. I get the feeling that there is a heads will roll mentality. Have a look at the head coaches before and see how long each has lasted. Then look at the reasons for the head coaches leaving or being demoted.

Can players flourish under instability and lots of changes? Developing a player takes time and patience.

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

It could be that Chong Wei wants Li Yongbo.
    As he may be trusting him given Li's records.

15. Master

Master Regular Member

I'm afraid there will be another wave of head coach replacement in next upcoming months.

Buck up or out you go

[​IMG]

PETALING JAYA: Shape up or ship out! And the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) really mean business.

The BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria has issued a three-month deadline for shuttlers to deliver results following Malaysia’s woeful showing at the All-England.

At the prestigious meet in Birmingham, Malaysia only had two representatives – men’s singles world No. 5 Lee Chong Wei and men’s doubles Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong – in the quarter-finals but both failed to progress further.

Chong Wei lost to nemesis Lin Dan while V Shem-Wee Kiong were beaten by Danish veterans Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen.

In contrast, China and Japan both had 10 representatives in the last eight. Japan also earned a breakthrough when unheralded Yuta Watanabe-Arisa Higashino claimed Japan’s first ever mixed doubles title by beating Zheng Siwei-Huang Yaqiong.

And Norza’s patience is finally running thin.

I am giving all my head coaches three months to improve their respective departments,” said Norza after chairing a meeting with the coaches and the Podium Programme management yesterday.

Besides showing improvement, the coaches also need to give me a list of players who should be dropped from the national team."

We need a high performance mindset and I don’t want players going overseas for tournaments just for the sake of gaining experience."

They have to show the desire to fight for the country’s glory. If they don’t have that characteristic then the coaches must identify and drop them."

It’s not just the players who have three months. The coaches also need to buck up because the players’ poor showing is a reflection of their coaching."

This is quite a critical stage for us because if we don’t do something urgently, we’ll fade into oblivion.

Besides that, Norza also called upon the Podium Programme and their support service to provide a more robust system in order to tackle a glaring weakness – mental strength.

I am not happy with the players’ mental strength and I’ve told Podium Programme director Tim (Newenham) about it,” said Norza.

I want them to come up with a more robust system for the players, especially with the Commonwealth Games and the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals coming up.

BAM have set a three-gold medal target for the Commonwealth Games squad and their main challengers will come from India and England.

Malaysia have named Chong Wei, V Shem-Wee Kiong, Chan Peng Soon, Goh Soon Huat (men), Soniia Cheah, Vivian Hoo-Chow Mei Kuan, Goh Liu Ying and Shevon Lai Jemie for the Gold Coast Games.

Source : https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2018/03/22/shuttlers-given-three-months-to-improve/

Trio given chance to rejoin BAM

PETALING JAYA: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have offered independent shuttlers Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Nur Nohd Azriyn Ayub and Lim Khim Wah to rejoin the national team on a three-month probation.

Arif and Azriyn, both former singles shuttlers with the national body, have adapted well after converting to doubles.

They were the national champions in 2015 and made heads turn earlier this month after stunning national No. 2 Ong Yew Sin-Teo Ee Yi in the semi-finals of the national meet.

Khim Wah, who won the Malaysian Open with Goh V Shem in 2014, has also made his name as a professional and has played with various partners including South Korean ace Yoo Yeon-seong.

The 28-year-old who left BAM in 2015 is known for his inability to serve well, resulting in his split with V Shem then.

BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria, who did not hide his lack of faith in world No. 18 Yew Sin-Ee Yi, believes they have nothing to lose by offering the trio a trial in the national set-up.

We want Arif, Azriyn and Khim Wah to join us on probation for three months. It would be good if they can make it and even fight for a spot as the No. 2 pair for the Thomas Cup Finals,” said Norza.

This is because I am not happy with the performance of Yew Sin-Ee Yi. We have nothing to lose in getting these three to join us."

They are not guaranteed a spot yet because we still need to see if they can fit into our programme. We also need to see if they have the required fitness level."

Besides, I also received a letter from Azriyn appealing to compete in Level Four or higher tournaments together with Arif."

BAM had earlier made a ruling that only national shuttlers can compete in Level Four or higher tournaments with the exception of Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren, Tan Boon Heong, K. Yogendran, Sannatasah Saniru, Khim Wah and Arif.

Source : https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2018/03/22/trio-given-chance-to-rejoin-bam/

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The Datuk is under pressure and losing face.

17. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Running a sport association is not like running a business, player development takes time & also the desire of players to do well....datuk is doing all wrong..want fast results

Sent from my PE-TL10 using Tapatalk

18. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    IMHO.....if you as me as a local coach here (and our group of coaches)..... It's better to upgrade Datuk Misbun as the chief coach (if Datuk Misbun wants) rather then again hire a foreigner to manage Msia group of local players where here, we already have one of the greatest coach in the world. Sometimes this BAM guys sitting on the top dont know wether they are blind or doesnt use their brains......

indrg likes this.