Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Alexch

Alexch Regular Member

Hi have u got zymax 62 in Sing? I am considering top order from oversea to give it a try. If good, then i will prder 1 reel.

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Is it possible to describe how you arrived at this impression?

3. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Odd string behaviour

I have been playing with zymax for 4 weeks now (23lbs*25lbs, panda power trinity) with no problems, this is a little odd and I will explain why:

After it had been strung for about 1 week something very odd happened, the string frayed lengthways along the string for about 2mm, leaving a "shard" of string. This fell off over the next few points leaving me to expect string breakage at any moment. However it still hasn't happened.

I haven't noticed a performance drop and the string still looks fine at the point it frayed, just thinner.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? I'm used to the strings snapping through grooves forming in it. Not semi shattering then not breaking...

The shot it occured on was an uncharacteristically powerful smash (into the net) with the racket face slicing across the shuttle fairly heavily as I wasn't holding it quite right.

I do agree that the zymax moves around a lot, this doesn't appear to affect performance in any way though. In fact I find when string doesn't move much it makes things feel odd.

4. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Asked this question in YY's 66Maxima string thread. would like to ask it here as well:

could some one compare the Zymax 62 with YY's new 66 Maxima?

5. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

just my tiny 0.0002cents worth, having gotten both strings for a short while only.....my usual tension for my rackets is nbg98 @ 24lbs, for zymax 62 i have to string approximately 2lbs lower than my usual tension to get back the same feel again. if i string zymax at 24lbs, then it feels very hard when hitting the shuttle. this zymax's characteristics is similar to bg80, a hard feeling string. as for bg66m, i can string it at 24lbs and it feels similar to the nbg 98 in terms of feel. but the hitting sound is not as loud as the nbg98 though. however both zymax 62 and bg66m are very repulsive strings, making clears to the backline easy. but the zymax strings do move around quite a bit compared to the bg66m during a game, especially hard smashing...whew, didnt realised i'm so long winded...:D:p

6. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

thanks, Alana07. that's fast and very helpful! If I may, have one more question.

does this mean that Zymax 62 has better control then? I find BG 80 is good at control, and BG98 not so good. I am using BG80 now, and hope for an easier transition.

consider the availability and price in USA for these two strings, Zymax 62 and BG66Maxima, looks like Zymax will edge out then.

7. Areku????

Areku???? Regular Member

enough to survive
    alana07,where did you get these two strings?singapore?

8. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

control wise, atm, i feel the zymax is just slightly better over bg66m but i had the zymax for a longer period compared to bg66m which was just acquired.

i got the zymax from a guy in UK while bg66m from shuttlehouse. but the bg66m cost almost twice as much as the zymax. i heard from some local shops that zymax may be available here soon. if the zymax really turns out to be a better string in the long run, i'll probably ditch nbg98/bg66m..:D:p

9. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Thanks again! You just made decision for me.:)

10. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    I had my Tantrum 200 strung with Zymax 62 at 26 lbs. It turned my Tantrum into a beast but it barely lasted 3 hours after continuous hard hitting and smashing. The feel was wicked! Definitely worth the experiment of trying out a string with a gauge of just 0.62mm. Still, not sure if I'll string my Tantrum back with Zymax 62. Have 2 extra packs left. Might actually go back to BG 80. All in all, had it been more durable, I'll definitely give it a double thumbs up*

11. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    2 extra packs of ZyMax 62? Why not try it again and see if it lasts longer. There's always the chance it was merely an anomoly and not the norm. Though power hitting does wear through strings faster...

You can always just mail them to me if you don't like it so I can try it out :D

12. eddielee70

eddielee70 Regular Member

I just try the Zymax 62 string at 21lbs. great repulsion and control, feel much faster through the air, but this great feeling only last 10 minute. I usually use BG66 at 23lbs and last me 1 month. make me want to go back to BG66. I will try the Zymax 67 to see if it last longer.

13. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    At such low tension, could be the breakage be due to a mishit?

14. BrunoLi

BrunoLi Regular Member

ZM62 = not bad at all!

I have my ZM62 increased tenson to 26/28 from 24/27 in 1 of my Woven 11A. Noted the string movement decreased a lot(not move that much).
    Strung on Oct. 29 and broke today (Nov. 8) = totally last 11 days (7 days play)(totally 30+ hours of extensive play)
    Not bad at all!
    Powerful, very good control, hitting sound great...tenson stayed the same through the whole life of the string(no tenson droped down).
    I will retring the same racket with the same ZM62 for the same tenson 26/28 again.
    Let's see how long will last.

#114 BrunoLi, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  15. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Interesting, from 24/27 to 26/28? Wouldnt you want maybe 26/29 instead?

16. BrunoLi

BrunoLi Regular Member

Ya

Ya, may be string last longer.
    ZM62 broke in the vertical main in 1 of the 2 center lines. If 26/29, the string may last a bit longer.
    Let me try next time for 26/29

17. Aekhold

Aekhold Regular Member

Student
    I'm used to play BG80 at 30/32 and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
    In general (for BG80) and specific to Zymax62, what tension would you advise?
    Is 30/32 ok?
    29/32?
    30/33?

Greetz,
    Aekhold

18. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    If you're satisfied, why switch? Though ZM62 at 24 felt like BG66 at 26 or 27, so for BG80 at 30/32 (I'd prefer to use 29.5/32.5 on get 31), I'd say shoot for 28 on ZyMax 62, so 26.7/29.3, so pretty much 27/28.

I'm in one of my semi-OCD/perfectionist moods right now, thus all the decimals.

19. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

i had my AT 600 strung with the ZM62 at 30 lbs at AK Badminton in Newark, CA and it feels really good!! I Really like the ZM 62, havent broken it yet!!!

20. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Just recieved my Zymax 67 shiment in both white and platinum. The platinum looks really cool so I'm going to string all of my under-used rackets with it and see how they go.

My current go-to string is the BG80 at 24lbs, so to the experts out there, do I stick with the same 24lbs to replicate the same feel as the BG80?