Zheng Bo, the most powerful attacker, has been sidelined

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by 2cents, May 13, 2004.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Latest news, Zheng Bo, the most powerful attacker in doubles, has been sidelined through injury. Therefore, China team will be lead 0:1 by default, since Sang Yang has to pair up with QQ temporarily first time.

2. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    I wouldn't count Yang Sang and Chen Qiuqiu to be an automatic loss. Scratch pairs can sometimes produce very unexpected results.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I've just watched the WC2003 game between Sang/Zheng vs Chew/Chan and I noticed something about Sang/Zheng.

They were playing pretty tamely and not quite the special thing that everybody were talking about - defensive errors, slow in response to opportunities but with powerful attacks and somewhat greater variety in game plan compared to Cai/Fu. Sang Yang had glimpses of that clever player who is akin to Sigit : not afraid to be creative, very calm. Zheng Bo was the clockwork attacker : smashing from the back, powerful drives into the opponent.

And the last time I saw them was in Bandung Indonesian Open where they were somewhat souped up a lot, so much in a sense that they were not quite the same as they were before - shots so much cleaner, attacks so much faster, their strategies more varied.

And then, now, what a dramatic transformation. They are virtually some of the most powerful second pairs in world badminton.

Too bad we won't be seeing one half playing for a while.

I have to say it - their improvement over the one year period is simply impressive.

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Sang Yang/Zhang Boo not that impressive. They were beaten by Lee Wan Wah/Chew Choon Eng in the TC qualifiers.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Seems like Sang Yang/Zheng Bo are very fast and have variety in their game but their shots appear to lack bite when it counts.

What I mean is that their shots are not as threatening or deceptive as Cai/Fu or any others.They know how to create openings but dont seem to be able to kill the rally. I think even Koo KK is better in that.

6. pyeap

pyeap Regular Member

for me, Yang/Bo is very much like the ex-CHN D pairs, Yong BO / Bing Yi...powerful attackers @ excellent defensive placing, but not the fastest n strongers...whilst Ca/FU is like Pak CP/Kim BS, which i always consider them as the strongest and fastest attackers men-double

7. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

who is Pak CP/Kim BS? are you referring to Park Joo Bong/Kim Moon Soo??

8. pyeap

pyeap Regular Member

Yes. i don't know abt others...but for me, they are fast, strong, powerful and consistant.

9. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

according to an article in badmintonline today, both li yongbo and zheng bo confirmed tht he (zheng) is likely to play today as he is said to be 'ok' now...

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Cai/Fu are strong and fast, but have problems with experienced pairs like the Danes/M'sians. They need to vary their shots more. It took them a long time to beat Luluk/Alven, playing at high speed.

11. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Zheng Bo is penciled in to play China's 2nd Doubles in their semi-final match against Korea. Has his injury been healed?

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the quick wash in 1st 3 matches, now Zheng Bo got 2 extra days of rest for the final show down.