Zhang Nan / Fu Haifeng

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by zhuangcorp, Mar 6, 2014.

1. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

FHF looks like Guts from the manga Berserk. Look around the web and you will see.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I see, but I 'm sorry, I tend to view such manga based on violence and cruelty as bad influence on the young who are inclined to regard it as not good over evil but might is right.

3. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Ah, it is okay. I am just saying there is some resemblance between their face structure.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Apparently, Fu Haifeng didn't take the Sudirman Cup loss by Team CHN too badly.

As reported here http://sports.qq.com/a/20170609/044385.htm, " I've tasted victories before, have tasted defeats too,so no need to mind too much, if I did I wouldn't have persevered for so long, losing is also a precious form of experience." Failing to leave the national team with a championship victory, Fu Haifeng himself didn't feel any regret. It's just that he's worried about the younger players in overcoming their psychological barrier, which (he feared) may take a period of time.

He confirmed that he'll be retiring after the China National Games (in October). How he wished he could be five years younger, then he would be able to carry on playing. The main reason he cited for his impending retirement is his nagging injuries. Every time he crouches, he could almost hear both his knees creaking, which got worse after the Rio Olympics, that's why at competition he has to put on knee braces. " Playing badminton long-term has caused my knee cartilage to be worn out, am afraid MRI would show a surface full of pot-holes, unable to provide lubricating effect, and leading to much pain when crouching." This kind of injury may appear not serious, but it's causing Fu Haifeng much annoyance. " Half crouching doesn't give me the strength, it'd affect my jumping, and my forte is a back-court jump-smash player. Such knee injury is also difficult to treat, can only depend on taking collagen and injecting special lubricant to improve its lubrication."

Turning 34 years old, age is an issue Fu Haifeng can no longer avoid. Before 2008, he basically never needed to go to the infirmary and hardly knew the team doctors there. " Playing at that time, I didn't know the meaning of fatigue." But nowadays he has to go to the infirmary once a day for a half-hour therapy. Apart from knee injury, he also has waist, ankle and so on injuries. As his age increases, he also has to cut down on the intensity of his training. After the Rio Olympics, Fu Haifeng was already unable to keep up with the team's morning and afternoon training sessions, instead only doing the morning session every day; besides tactical training, it's more of stamina and strength-building exercises. " Owing to the knee injury, my thigh muscles are showing some signs of shrinking, so I have to maintain fitness training drills." Those who know Fu Haifeng teased him for having slimmer legs, however that is the kind of changes he didn't wish to see.

The pressure of playing in team tournaments is much greater (than individual events),but to Fu Haifeng he is more fond of the sensation of playing a team match. " In team competition, every match and every set you play is for the team, and because it's a common responsibility, everybody can get together,the subject of discussion involved is even more than other events. I like playing as a team, the expression and emotion showing in each other's eyes is different; you go out to play, everybody else cheers for you; including backup or supporting players, we much more resemble a team."

Fu Haifeng's life values and beliefs were formed under his father's, Fu Ming Ying's, influence. Fu Ming Ying was a returned overseas Chinese (from Indonesia - Justin,as far as I remember), he's also Fu Haifeng's very first badminton coach. In November 2015, Fu Ming Ying passed away. As Fu Haifeng was preparing to take part in a tournament, he was unable to see his father for the last time and on returning home later, he wept bitter tears.

From the age of six on the day he first took up a badminton racquet under his father's influence, Fu Haifeng and badminton have accompanied each other for almost 28 years already. Now that it's almost time to bid farewell, he is extremely unwilling to part with it.
    " People say when it's time retire, you'll feel depressed, irritable and suchlike, and that's exactly how I feel now." After the Rio Olympics, Fu Haifeng rested for more than a month, during that period though his body had recovered yet at heart he nevertheless felt uncomfortable.
    " Every day, I don't know what to do, no training, but every day I'd wake up at the usual time, thinking 'what am I doing?'. Once you become idle, it's really a dreadful thing, more weary than training, I presume."

Fu Haifeng even laughed at himself wondering if he is a bit " psychologically abnormal", actually enjoying a life of pressure every day. " For so many years past,I have been living under pressure day in, day out, and will get nervous during competition, but once I become idle, life without pressure can be insufferable. My mind will keep thinking of returning to the national team immediately, to find the feeling of competing, to contest together with the younger teammates, and to engage in competition. "

" Beliefs, humans need beliefs, to fight for the national flag in my bosom, once you have such a belief, you will forget about the outcome, the pain and suffering, the stress and strain, the nerves, the tension. Go, Team China ! I love you, China !" This is what Fu Haifeng wrote on his weibo (microblog) at the end of the Sudirman Cup.

Fu Haifeng, born 23 Aug, 1983, Guangdong, Jieyang city.

5. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    This was really nice to read. Thanks for posting Justin.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're most welcome, it's my pleasure.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

By the way, at first I only wanted to translate some of the parts I find interesting and informative , leaving out a few minor details, mostly already known, including the part which I've mentioned before,and also because it's getting very late when I finished it.

Just to add, since young, Fu Haifeng has been affectionately called by his coaches and teammates as " Ah Bao", and being doted by them as if he's a precious pearl. Now that he's much older, the team members in the national and local teams deferentially addressed him as " Brother Bao". Born Aug 1983, he is one month older than Lin Dan.

In Fu Haifeng's mind, the Olympics occupies a very special place. " Playing in the Olympics is every athlete's dream, joining the national team is to play in the Olympics." From 2004 Athens to 2016 Rio, Fu Haifeng took part in four consecutive Olympics, reaping two golds and one silver (one gold in London'12 and one silver in Beijing'08 with Cai Yun, and one gold in Rio'16 with Zhang Nan). Besides the Olympics, Fu Haifeng together with Cai Yun also captured four world championships, namely,in 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011. At the same time, starting in 2004, Fu Haifeng is Team China's five times successive Thomas Cups and six times successive Sudirman Cups main force team member.

#167 Justin L, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  8. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Now are you convinced? Liu Cheng is certainly not one of the top 5 players in the world to have as a back court partner. One more title in either XD or MD will cement him as the GOAT.

Justin L and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Undergoing treatment for his knees and other injuries after retirement ? The better to enjoy his post-retirement life. I think he might consider taking up a coaching job.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2017-12-10/doc-ifyppemf6191136.shtml
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the early morning of 10th Dec'17 at Beijing, during the Total Li Yongbo Cup 3v3 Badminton Tournament Finals, Li-Ning launched the special limited edition in honour of Fu Haifeng N9II Black Gold commemoration racquet and Kit Bag (as shown in the picture above) limited to only 3,000 sets.

Fu Haifeng spoke at the news conference sharing his thoughts on his 15-year career touching on the most significant moments both happy and sad and also encouraging everyone to continue to take part in badminton and related activities. At the same time, when recounting the racquets that he used, from F9 to N9, and till now N9II, by selecting the number 9, he said it is to imply his love for badminton is enduring, eternal.

For this press conference commemoration equipment launch, Fu Haifeng expressed, N9II is the most important racquet model in his career, it accompanied him for the first time at the Rio Olympics where he captured the gold medal (with Zhang Nan), the significance is extraordinary. Not only that, he himself also participated in the design of the racquet and he specially left a few sets for his collection as memory.

On the day of the ceremony, Li-Ning selected three sets of N9II racquets marked with special numbers and invited Fu Haifeng to autographed them. Among the three racquets are, the number 0823 which is FHF's birthday, the number 0018 which represent the 18 world championships in his career, and the number 2017 is the year FHF bade farewell to the badminton arena. It is reported that these three racquets will in the next few days be opened for bidding at the Li-Ning flagship store, the news once announced immediately evoked loud cheers on the spot, lifting the activity to a climax.

Worth mentioning is that over the five months across 13 cities where stage by stage the best of the wind goddesses of the Li-Ning 3v3 were selected, they also made their appearance at the press conference in close contact with Fu Haifeng. Hailing from Zhengzhou is Wang Liling, the overall champion, conferred the title of Most Passionate Wind Goddess, and from Beijing are Li Yao and Geng Jian, separately named Most Youthful Wind goddess and Most Confident Wind Goddess. Present today are the two wind goddesses who evinced their graceful bearings in their own ways, long-time badminton enthusiasts that they are, each bringing with them their distinct radiance and vitality.

Wang Liling said, being given this rare privilege, she feels proud and in future as before she will carry on supporting badminton activities, and disclosed that in the year-end they, the wind goddesses, will be doing an advertisement photoshoot with Fu Haifeng.

12. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

Very fitting tribute to Fu Haifeng by Li-Ning on Instagram.

yuquall and Justin L like this.