Zforce 2 or bs12? I can't make up my mind...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by chesta, Dec 11, 2016.

1. chesta

chesta Regular Member

I structured the question/recommendation this way to hear the experienced players opinions on tese 2 rackets. I've pretty much researched endlessly foe the past 3 days and cannot come to a conclusion as to which racket to choose. I've narrowed down my choices to the Voltric z force 2 and the BS 12. Question being, who should be using what racket?

Assume that I'm a player who can smash but not perfectly. I can clear with 95%accuracy (place my clears in advantageous spots), drop shots can use some work, serves can use work (i just recently learned proper serve technique so im improving) & know court movement extremely well.

I'm pretty sure my local shop doesn't allow demos or anything like that.

My friends and I play 3 hours a day 3 times a week.

Please help me put this issue to rest >. <

Money isn't an issue btw. I also plan on using BG80P at 23 lbs.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I'm very interested in how you narrowed your choices down to two completely different rackets with completely different specifications.

3. chesta

chesta Regular Member

Because I'm a player that enjoys the sound of smashing and would like to have powerful smashes.

I also like the idea of a lighter racket for faster defense since my friends like to smash... if only the bs12 can smash just as hard as the zf2 :(

But for more info:
    We play doubles. Sometimes mens doubles and sometimes mixed doubles. We only play at a local club and we're no professionals. But I like to hit hard and kill shots. I was really set on BS12 but I keep having the feeling that the ZF2 will help me with harder shots. But at the same time, I'm being turned off since I hear that only intermediate - pro players should be the only ones considering ZF2 since you need really good technique to use it.

#3 chesta, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    You do need good technique to use the ZF2, it's stiff with a small head, and quite head heavy. If you mainly play doubles you should probably consider the BS12 moreso than the ZF2.

You can always go for something in between, like the N50-III or VT 70 E-Tune.

5. chesta

chesta Regular Member

Another thing I failed to mention is that we don't really play super organized haha. Side - side kinda style. Not sure if that plays into this at all but yeah

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Thaaat kind of indicates to me that you're not playing at a very high level, like I said the ZF2 requires reasonable technique to use because of its specifications.

7. chesta

chesta Regular Member

I mean my friends don't know proper doubles technique (back front) but I know it pretty well because I played 4 years in High school with 1 yr in singles and 3 yrs in doubles and mixed doubles xD

8. chesta

chesta Regular Member

But i do see your point. Basically only go for ZF 2 if I start upping my game and playing way more competitively. Until then, stick to All Rounder rackets .

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Look, like I said I don't want this to come off rude, but it's not just playing for a long time or understanding tactics. It's about having a good hitting technique, and that doesn't just mean being able to hit hard, it means being able to hit consistently well with minimal damage to yourself. With a racket like the ZF2 it's very easy to pull things because you have to swing hard with a lot of weight putting on your joints. If your technique isn't good, it's likelier to injure you.

If you were doing drills and practising several times a week with a coach, using a difficult racket like the ZF2 or a training racket can be a great way to improve. But it can also be a good way to injure yourself. Even if you feel like the racket makes you stronger, it can absolutely work against you. Personally, I found the ZF2 hurt my arm to use it, so I stopped using it pretty quickly.

If you really want that extra bit of power, go for something in between. The rackets I mentioned previously are still relatively flexible, and not too head heavy.

10. bdmtfreak

bdmtfreak Regular Member

I would personally go for the BS12 as it is more even balanced and a good all round racket. This would be more beneficial for doubles and XD as the rallies are generally faster and would require faster reaction time. I would not advise choosing the ZF2 because it has an extra stiff shaft which would require good technique (not saying you don't have good technique cause i haven't seen you play) and fast explosive swings.

If you still insist on going for the ZF2 maybe consider getting the 4U version as that one seems more popular due to it being a lighter weight.

Once you get better and start playing more competitively you will realize that you won't end many rallies with a smash and will begin to appreciate the benefits of the more even balanced hence more manueverable rackets.

justinloong likes this.
  11. insular

insular New Member

ZF2 is a pretty good racket, you'll get easy clears, lift. It also fast in defense 10x compact frame, also you can pay attention on victor thruster k onigiri, it's more friendly

12. chesta

chesta Regular Member

Thanks everyone! I decided to stick with the BS12 ^^

Cheung likes this.
  13. Sianturi

Sianturi Regular Member

Ok, this is from my personal experience using vtzf2. I started playing again after 8 years of hibernation. I thought vtzf2 is a good racket (it is!), so I bought it (version 3U).

I have had never used a HH before. So using vtzf2 was a very large jump for me. I wanted to cry (seriously), as this racket is very difficult. I am a small guy, 165cm, rather old (42yr), and am no pro player. But I didn't loose heart. I kept playing with this racket. After 6 weeks (2hrs/training, 1x/week badminton practice) with dumble training everyday (2kg/arm), I am now very comfortable using this racket. Smash? Bazooka! Defense? I admit it's a bit slow, but returning a smash is fantastic! Since this racket has a heavy frame (hence high momentum to counterbalance that of the shuttlecock), you can control the return. Right now, it's hard for me to play with other racquets. I'm planning to buy the 4U version, which is a tad faster. Just my 2cts.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

14. junaid

junaid New Member

It depends on the style you play.... personally i go for bs 12... have a test with yourself and feel the difference....

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

15. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

My main rackets are BS12s 3U and I play mostly doubles. I demoed a ZF2 3U a couple of weeks ago. The head weight is noticeable but I found the racket itself was fairly light still. I guess they're both 3Us so the weight should be similar but I guess I was expecting something heavier. I only had a chance to play 1 game with it but I did like it. The problem is that it's stiff, has a smaller head and is head heavy so these things might make it more difficult for you to play with if you're not fairly skilled. The BS12 is a good choice if you can still find them.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    With no offense, giving any advice to buy a ZFII or any other monsters is really wrong. You are playing recreational, for fun with friends. It's nothing wrong with. But it seems you don't have the ambition to get coaching and improve in a more professional enviroment. IMO 80% of beginner will be happy with a BS12. User-friedly, less demanding, quick. A real racket which is easy to use out of the box for most people. Especially for the people who don't have a very compact swing and superb technique. I recommend to buy a racket at your current state and not for an aim in the future. I also don't buy a too small shirt just for my aim to weight 5kg less in the next month.

justinloong and dave010 like this.
  17. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

To add my 2 cents, I started out with steel/aluminum racquets like many people. My first high end racquet was a 4U ZFII and I immediately began to get blisters on my racquet hand and pain in the forearm. I only found out much later that:

a) I had bought the wrong grip size, leading to blisters and possible injury of the TFCC structures in my hand.

b) My swing technique was wrong and it led to me using too much forearm strength. Difficult to use racquet + imperfect technique = injury

Technique is everything in badminton. If your technique is wrong, you will get injured regardless of your fitness level. Racquets are about personal preference and using a particular type of racquet or string or tension WILL NOT give you significantly more power or control. Once you have good technique, power comes naturally. If I were you, I would pick a racquet that is cheaper and comes in your favourite color. :D Good luck with choosing a racquet and have fun playing badminton! :)

Cheung and Sianturi like this.
  18. siongbing

siongbing Regular Member

i have both bs 12 and zf2. i would recommend bs 12 as it is easiewr to use and less demanding. for optium smashes for bs 12 try opt for yonex bg 80 or ng99 string at 30 lb. if u wan best of both defending and attacking world u should consider js 12. zf2 is very demanding , defence are difficult and eats up a lot energy.

19. chesta

chesta Regular Member

I actually got the BS12 and am loving it so far. I chose the BG80 P strung at 23 lbs. I didn't want to go higher since I heard intermediate or beginners should go around 21-24 for plastics

skeksis, dave010 and Cheung like this.
  20. maakaa2

maakaa2 Regular Member

bs12 can go to 30lb? i thought the spec only can go max 26 or 28?