Yu Yang quits badminton over disqualification

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by vip_m, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    Out goes old, in comes new....Nothing loss, no new gain.Perhaps, we will see a much more disciplined And better china team after this episode...

China have no lack of talents, they just need to pick one from their hat.... :)

Cheers....

2. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Tell that to the ticket-buying public who had to endure the circus act. Good bye, I for one wouldn't miss you.

3. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    I say, let fair play reigns and common sense prevail. Why BWF came up with round robin format is beyond me, better follow ITF style for tennis ie. elimination rounds. Pit WR1 vs WR2.

4. sgFred

sgFred Regular Member

Engineer
    Perhaps SBA should take this opportunity to convince Yu Yang to take up Singapore Citizenship and represent Singapore for the next Olympic.

5. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

We will probably never know, but if this is true then i am almost certain the decision didn't come from yu yang. It probably also didn't come from LYB either.
    I would bet everything that it came from the absolute top. In China, sports is 100% run and funded by the government. So this whole fiasco not only painted a horrible picture on the sport of badminton to the world but also smeared the reputation of China as a country. On top of that, it happened at a time where the whole world just so happened to be tuned in with a microscope to everything that is going.
    I live in an area where we get ZERO news on badminton and for the past 24hrs I have seen this story EVERYWHERE, print media, TV, internet news, even people in my office are talking about this.

Although not good for the sport, I think this is the best possible route that China as a whole could have done to save what little face they could. Get as far away as possible and alienate the people involved in this fiasco, even if that means ruining the career of a still young and very gifted player. By dissolving the association between the two parties, over time it may seem that the decision ultimately came from the players themselves and not the coaches/management/higher up people, regardless if they had a hand in the decision or not.

In the very end, I believe Yu and Wang were ultimately pawns in a giant chess match, just following orders. It's honestly very sad to see because she probably would have walked away with the gold medal regardless if she threw the match and still be competitive in 2016. Very unfortunate to see one of the BEST females players career end in such a stupid fashion which could very easily have been avoided.

6. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    LazyBuddy, many folks won't ever realize it... though spare yourself all the burdens to explain the intricate matters ;) btw ever heard ZeroHedge ;) try it if not yet

"The notion that journalism can regularly produce a product that violates the fundamental interests of media owners and advertisers…is absurd." -- Robert McChesney, journalist and author

Asked to give a toast before the prestigious New York Press Club in 1880, John Swinton, the former Chief of Staff at the New York Times, made this candid confession [it's worth noting that Swinton was called "The Dean of His Profession" by other newsmen, who admired him greatly]:

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world’s history, as an independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinions out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job.

If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. The business of the journalist is to destroy the truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of Mammon, and to sell the country for his daily bread. You know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an independent press. We are the tools and vassals of the rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    it too reach out to greater number of spectators... if Olympic don't limit number of participants per country, it will end up like exclusive club VETO club in UN.. that's common sense, doesnt need to make things look more complicated than it should be...

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    You can do tons of wonders and one bad thing, Miss Yu Yang .....

People will only remember the one bad thing. Which is always why keeping your reputation intact is crucial.

9. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    I'm not a fan of Yu Yang... far from it. Still it is pretty sad for an athlete to end their career like this.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    "... Li Yongbo, chief coach of the Chinese badminton team, said the poor behaviour of his players reflected the shortcomings of the new regulations in the sport. "I feel that no matter whether it is the rules or something else, that's no excuse," said Li.

"The key point is we did not behave professionally as athletes and did not treat each match seriously.

"We didn't strive with all our might in the Olympic way. From that point of view we really didn't grasp this point thoroughly ... as chief coach I really feel I must say sorry to fans and viewers nationwide," Li told Xinhua...."

11. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Come to the States! Bring a partner or two. We can definitely use a player like Yu Yang. Finally have a chance to metal!

12. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    The irony would blow up the whole universe...

I think what LYB means: you need to act better!

13. okiazr

okiazr Regular Member

merchant
    plz dont waste your tallent... move out from china... im sure every countries will be happy to accept you... and you wont have to listen to li yong bo anymore....

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    She is forced to take the rap.

15. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    Is the quote lost in translation? If its accurate then this comment is really an arrogant denial by this SOB.
    To me, it basically says that fault lies with the regulations(bwf), he doesn't mention any match fixing but claims the only injustice done is that the athletes didnt take the game seriously.

I hope the top brass gets him out..he is detrimental to the outstanding chinese players career and image and definitely not good for badminton period!

16. s3160717

s3160717 Regular Member

You guys, please be gentle. Why do you attack her? Motivate her keep moving forward.

17. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I didn't think Yu would do anything like this but she already has

18. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

This is just like in times of war. When the system is wrong, and eventually fails and the public notices, someone needs to go down and pay for it.

With this DQ, the whole world suddenly sees what is going on in badminton for a while now. BWF didn't care because its 'isolated' anyway. The Olympics on the other hand are high profile, cross-sports and highly attended. You cannot let this go unnoticed for the eyes of the whole world. The IOC did what BWF never did, and in some way, CBA never expected this to happen too.

CBA can also not just start rioting about the match fixing exactly because of the profile of the Olympics. Instead, they look for an internal scapegoat. I think that YY's exit is split between her own disbelief, and internal pressure from CBA.

LYB will never admit that he fixed this match (maybe he did, maybe he didnt, we will never know).

It's sad to see an extraordinary player like her leave the scene like this. While she did deserve the DQ, she didnt deserve an exit like this. After all, she is the top WD player and there is a reason why.

19. erpepaulus

erpepaulus Regular Member

Student
    Yu Yang already has a gold in WD, bronze in XD (I forgot, did she win the bronze last Olympic?)
    She probably quit anyway after grab 2 consecutive golds this year if she isn't disqualified and will replaced by another WD youngster to be paired with Wang Xiaoli hahaha.

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i think u understand Mr. Li the besta