Yoyogi No2 National Gymnasium

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    From the IBF website, this is the venue of the Japan Open.
    Can anybody confirm the district it's in and the name of the closest subway station? How far is the Subway to the Stadium (by foot)?

I will probably be in Tokyo that time.

2. David

David Guest

I was there last year, it is a 10 min. walk from the train station to the stadium but I do not remeber the station's name, but they have both English and Kanji direction and I don't think you can get lost. It is very simlilar to the subway in HK. If you stay in Hotel Keo in Shijukou, they have a shuttle bus that take you to the stadium and you get to ride with all the players!! I think that's where most of the players will stay. I had a good time last year, well organized, good crowd but feel sorry for the player which work so hard for so little money! Have fun and bring $$$, it is expensive there!!

3. David

David Guest

Just a little more info for you. The train station that you get off is Harajuku. Once you exit the station, you will the Volcano like Yoyogi Stadium No. 1 across the street. Yoygi Stadium No 2 is just right behind no. 1.Becasue the parking lot is very big, you will have to walk for about 10 min. to get to the front door. From Shinjuku will the 2 station south.Harajuku area is very modern, a lot of retail shops and coffee shops. Also it is across the street from the Minjie( not sure I spell ir right) Temple. It is best time to visit Japan because the wether is going to be nice and the cherry blossom will be in full bloom! If you ever get tied of watching badminton touranment, you can go take a break there. If there is anything else I can help, let me know.

4. yling

yling Guest

May i know whether i get the chance to take pictures with the players before the tournament starts? Do they arrive early?

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's just a case of asking.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks David,

I also forgot to ask, do you the address of the Yonex shop in Tokyo?

7. David

David Guest

Yonex Tokyo is located in Yoshima area. It is aslo very easy to get to by train. I think is the green train which will take you to Yoshima station.Once you get off the train and you can look for Yonex exit. Go up to the street level and Yonex show room will be right there.Don't expect to see a lot of merchandises there, they have very limited selection at the show room which I do not know why. Last time when I was there, I will have to select the products that I want from the catalogue and retrun to the store the next day to pick them up.Add on to the problem, the sales ladies do speak any English. There are some badminton specialty store around Tokyo area, but I do not know where they are, I heard you can get better price for Yonex porducts there (as high as 20 % off). If you find it let me know!

BTW, Yonex also have a counter at the Japan Open where you can buy Yonex clothing for the tournament. They can also put the country name that you want on the back of the collar shirt that you purchased. Just like the national player.

Have a good trip!

8. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    Hi cheung where do you come from?

9. David

David Guest

No they will not arrive early, but there is a section that all the players sit, you are free to go get autograph and take picture with them. However, Japanese like to take pictures so players will only shows up there once in a while, when it gets too crowded with fans, they usually try to get away. I think if you want to take picture with the players, go there during the early round, they are more tolerable then! As I mention before, most players will be staying at the Hotel Keo in Shijuku, they are more relax and more willing to talk to fans and have their picture taken.Have fun, hope I can join you all there! Maybe next year!!

10. yling

yling Guest

here's the schedule and ticket prices for anyone who's interested.

3 April starting 9am
    all 500yen

4-6 April starting 9am except 6 april which starts 12pm
    1200yen ( 1500 yen that day )
    700yen ( 1000 yen that day) ---> for students

7,8 April starting 11am
    SS seat : 10000 yen(same for that day)
    S seat 4500 yen(6000 yen that day)
    Others 2500 yen ( 3000yen that day)
    Highschool students : 1000 yen (1500 yen that day)

11. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    BRIBERY!!!! =)

Cheung or YLing, can I bribe either of you to help me get autographs or photographs??? Starting price is 1 million rupiah, pls feel free to raise the charge. =)

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Re: BRIBERY!!!! =)

Definately no bribery
    I'll lose my job if it be known that I'm such a corrupt character................you can pay me though............;o)

Seriously, don't know how much time I can get there. Yeah, I forgot that the Japanese just love their photo taking.

Just a little sidetrack; when I was walking to the Thomas cup '98 final, the lights were green so had to wait. Just as the lights changed, I glanced around and suddenly I was looking straight into Yang Yang's face. He must have caught me staring because he looked at me (and then crossed the street). Well, I couldn't move (or even cross the road), such was the impression that had been created. And I didn;t have a camera at the time. :eek:(

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Great stuff

14. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

Okay, one million rupiah it shall be... nah, juz joking.... anyway, if you dun mind, pls lemme know if you manage to get anything. Good luck and have fun... in the meantime, I will be dividing the hrs bwt eating my heart out and cursing TV stations for not telecasting the match (if they dun) =P

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    let's see...

return ticket from SFO to NRT : $700
    train from NRT to Tokyo : $50
    hotel room : $100/night
    best seat for Japan Open : $100/day

vacation days available : 0 days :(

16. yling

yling Guest

i'm not sure whether i'll be going for it.. coz my new semester starts exactly on 3rd April!!!! whose autograph do you want it?

by the way i'll lose my internet conection after 26 March.. so.. u want me to send you the autograph if i manage to get it? Giving me your address? But i dun guarantee anything :)

And lastly forget about the 1 million rupiah hehe
    It's also an excuse for me to talk with the players? hehe

17. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

I can give you my address but not on the forum lah.... could you leave your email here? I'll mail it to you. Btw, which country are you from? (Am getting interested in this sort of things)

Oh, and whether you get it or not, thanks for being so helpful. =)

18. yling

yling Guest

sure :)
    i'll write to you. :)
    but my internet access is till 26 March noon.