Your Partner

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by MarkinJapan, Apr 13, 2005.

1. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    What's your partner like?
    How long have you been together?
    Mixed? Doubles?
    Do you not have a steady partner?
    Play together at tournaments but mix it up at club nights?

I don't have a steady partner for mixed or doubles right now, but after having a few frusterating weeks of badminton, i'm thinking to reach my next performance level it's time to settle down and start building a real team.

Let me know how your past or present partnerships were born and developed, and how they flurished or crashed and burned like a nasty soap opera.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Now this is a cool topic:)! Unfortunately I have no stories to contribute as I have yet to find a steady doubles partner (mens or mixed):(. I am so tired of scratch partnership for tournaments. There's always little practice time to gel as a team.

3. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    I play mostly MD and MXD but I don't have a fulltime MD or MXD partner as of the moment. Most of my partners are friends/officemates that have varying skill levels in the sport.

I currently play at the social level so I don't worry if I get paired to a weak player. I take that as a challenge, to be able to play above my weakness and my parthners weakness.

When I have the chance to select a partner (i.e. in a large group), I usually choose a good smasher since I have a very decent low serve that can force opponents to lift and good netplay skills.

4. tangle

tangle Regular Member

student
    My doubles partner is a friend of mine whom i met on the first day of my secondary school and we went through everything together since that day. Although its been 5 years since we first met, we are the best of friends ..... When we were in secondary 3 , we were invited to play badminton with our other friends. I without knowing that he has been playing badminton since young was amazed at his skills when i first partnered him .... After 1 and a half years of serious playing , i am still lousier than him:crying: . Maybe its due to the fact that i'm a left hander and he's a right hander and he could not teach me what to do .... but after much experimenting , i finally grasp the right technique. Although now we were both training with our school's C division badminton girls team , we would still lose to some of the better secondary 2 girls:D thus i would always be scolded by him as i kept repeating the same old mistakes that made us lose ....
    Hope most if not all of you would meet your doubles partner soon.

5. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    My MD's partner is one of my best friends, I've been playing with him for over 5 years now.
    And mixed i play with my sister, just for fun, since I mostly focus on singles

6. xx-keeper-xx

xx-keeper-xx Regular Member

paintballa and badminton playa
    mens partner
    -short redheaded afro fag
    -bad at badminton
    -extremely annoying
    -gets mad if you screw up, but whiffs all the time
    -can't smash or drop shot
    -basiccly, hes bad, but the only kid i have to play with

MIXED partner
    -extremely attractive
    -fairly decent
    -easy play with
    -makes great shots
    -basiccly shes a great partner and not an annoying redheaded kid..

7. pb_aznstyle

pb_aznstyle Regular Member

My doubles partner is really good compared to me and also a lot more serious too. He always works out when i'm going out for lunch, and he also plays at a private club and has a coach. Whenever we play singles against each other I barely broke 10 pts once. WE used to be equal but he jsut wen ballistic with his playing time and badminton training one day.

8. HappyOne

HappyOne Regular Member

my partner changes all the time so i dont have a steady one since i play for a highschool team. but im usually paired up with one girl whos really really really really really annoying. (i cannot exagerrate enough) well yah basically she just sucks ass so that when i come to play mixed doubles i dominate over the guy =D i guess i got used to dominating over the sucky girl since she was so sucky =] lol and today i lost my singles match due to the fact that i just kept believing theres a partner behind me and i did not have the right positioning watsoever. gosh am i gay =D

9. floriina

floriina Regular Member

What's your partner like? well, he's a little shorter than me, about 5'6''. he's REALLY athletic and he's pretty attractive.
    How long have you been together? about 4 months
    Mixed? Doubles? mixed.
    Do you not have a steady partner? he's been my parenter for 4 months, so no.
    Play together at tournaments but mix it up at club nights? we usually play together at club too, but we mix it up from time to time. we're really good friends outside of badminton so that helps a lot too.

i must say that i'm lucky to have a partner like him. he's really great and sweet and we get along really well. and he's also extremley good at badminton, but we're at about the same level because when we play singles against each other we always tie.

10. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    At j.county i have almost permament patners for Mixed and Doubles as do most in the squad , this is for county matches ,team tournaments and ranking tourneys or opens. Mind you i have had 7 mixed partners at j.county level in 2 years ...say something bout me???
    ..but my current mixed partner and me have been playin for county together for 9 months now. she 5 5" has amazing shots and ability though struggles off serve is attractive and moody, while im just angry and moody

my mens doubles partner is slighty bigger than me 6 1" and similar in many ways tend to hold us together in games (recent problems aside) basically we're good because we are very good friends and get along extremerly well whichi often brings itself onto court. Im impressed with his ability to stay calm and contiune to hit good shots and he's amazed by some of my shot abilities and speed (however they dont always seem to hit the court):)

11. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    I don't have a steady doubles partner or mixed either . For doubles , there's no one in my club that is female and around the same age as me ... so I just enter partner desired .