Your opinions on this non-pro player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by llpjlau, Nov 4, 2007.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Just wondering, I don't know how verbal the umpires are where you people play...But in Holland the umps (at lower levels) are either team members or volunteers...They keep score, make linecalls, but that's basically it...

Stalling, shouting, serving above the waist...rarely gets reprimanded (even at pro-level, they don't have a servicejudge)

So around, players who play like this it's mostly a "deal with it" attitude...You just naturally learn to get better in 'teasing' than the opponent ;)
    The only judge about your behavior is the crowd :p

How is it handled in your club/state/country?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You miss my point entirely.

Excessive stalling, shouting, and so on, are also against the rules. So if you call them "valid", then you must accept that anything is valid -- such as calling the shuttle out when it's in (no line judges), tampering with the shuttle, or even spiking your opponent's drink.

It's a reductio ad absurdum, intended to reveal the hypocrisy of people who say, "So what if I behave badly? It's all part of the game. It's not like I'm breaking the rules."

Yes, they are breaking the rules. Just because they get away with it doesn't make it "valid", any more than spiking your opponent's drink would be "valid" just because he didn't notice!

3. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

And to further clarify Gollum's point, let me remind that ALL OF YOU, really, ALL OF YOU, are criminals !
    Because everybody jaywalked a red light at least once in their life, you are a criminal.
    Now, to be more subtle, it all depends on the seriousness and level of the crime.
    Does that mean that nicking your opponent's drink with concentrated marijuana is more offensive than stalling a game? It depends... The guy would be playing like a "really cool dude".... :D

And this guy doesn't annoy me. In reading this thread, I thought the guy was taking at least a minute between rallies. Not even close. Something like 15 to 20 seconds. Perfectly normal.
    I don't know why some of you are so rushed when playing the game. Yes, badminton is a super speed game. But you can take your time between rallies.

4. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    I agree, in gaming you must do all that is possible to maximize your chances of winning, besides screaming and delaying a little...if a player can let this get to their minds then...sorry but they don't have the psychological strength required to even play badminton.
    Absolutely agree, people need to learn to just deal with it -.-, i've seen people chuck their racquets and such...

Sorry, the two reasons i play are: (Enjoying my victory) and (To train so i can enjoy MORE victories)
    Agree with first point, but in the second point, you're just overdoing it...there is a line between mental tactics and your ideas of "VALID" tactics.
    Screaming and stalling are tactics...to keep your opponent guessing and then they'll be less likely to make risky shots(Which are usually good if you can land them) And just because no one can stop you, it doesn't mean it's valid, stalling and screaming thats perfectly fine with me, if they play me, ill just scream louder and stall longer and probably utilize other mental tactics i know of.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I think what Gollum means is that it's spiking drinks, tampering with the bird, and cheating are all valid ways to win because they can/will make you win. However they are considered cheating, so they're not fair, and such are not allowed by the laws, which only present fair and valid ways to win.

Just my interpretation on his thoughts; I may or may not be correct.

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i am sure at least 90% or more of us here would agree that a professional umpire would point out to him that he is taking too long. they would go "play" , "play on" and when he keeps doing it, the umpire would call him over and yellow card him. even worse, a red card if he does it after every rally.

7. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    as a coach, i would never let anyone like this one my team no matter how good he is, (i coach high school) and its just so unsportsmanlike-like, i do aprove of taking times between points and dont rush but this is too far, way to far, also yelling wen the opponent makes a unforced error is way over the edge, unless the rally was especially long and important then a first pump would be okay but yelling at the top of your lungs is soo rude periode.

8. matchbow

matchbow Regular Member

oh, if it's actually against the rules to stall and scream and stuff, then sorry gollum, i actually didn't know that. so doing those becomes an invalid tactic. just as hacking and physical abuse are invalid in gaming, so too are things that are actually illegal (tampering with food, assault), and things that are forbidden by the rules of badminton. and to play the game ignoring the official rules kinda defeats the purpose of playing to win, which is to expel all of your own fabricated rules of the game and play using anything in the scope of the rules of the real game.

9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i got bored of the video after the first minute cos it was taking so long to finish. he's pretty crazy, but i've seen worse. sure, there's a standard of sportsmanship, but in a situation like that, with no proper umpire, you're only option is to beat him, both on and off the court. there's no other way around it. beat him, and you've proved him wrong and shut him up, if you lose, well, just gotta bear it. then beat him next time.

i did notice, whenever i start shouting out to encourage myself, i end up losing the tight matches mostly, and when i focus more, and keep my feelings locked up, i have more success. a sign of something?

i'm pretty sure it's ok to scream, as long as you don't display signs of aggression to the other player. i've heard many chinese national players scream and curse their way to victory, which they get away with mostly because few of the umpires are chinese. but when Lin Dan fisted towards Peter Gade's direction in 2004 Thomas Cup, he got warned. it was probably a gesture of triumph aimed in the wrong direction, not hostility. but it's against the rule to stall, although everyone does it. there are "Official rules" and rules accepted by most. there's a slight difference

#49 Shifty, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  10. orgasmerator

orgasmerator Regular Member

couldn't finish the video as it pained me just as slow drivers backing up the freeways do...

11. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    if you meet someone like him who takes a lot of time to serve, you can use the time to plan a good return.

and I have met people who are worse. Like one of my friends(should I even call him a friend), who always uses double action serve against me and when the next rally is about to begin he has already served when I have not even return to the designated court and ready myself, then he thinks I can return his services and sorta feels that he is really good or something
    I am not really skillful, but I feel that the game should be played properly

12. orgasmerator

orgasmerator Regular Member

that's just wrong. after the first time, i'll start putting my hand up.

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    double action serve is a fault. rules say it must be one, clean stroke. although if it doesn't bother you, i'd let it go. it usually isn't necessary to go nit-picking

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    if no one complains, you can do back the same on whatever your opponent did to you.. hehe.. fair and square..