Your opinions on this non-pro player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by llpjlau, Nov 4, 2007.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

he's not even doing it write :p

don't stall before getting ready. you should stall during getting ready, The goal is to get him to serve while your hand is up ;) that's the way to stall time :eek:

I'd say he's a ****, but his opponent should be smarter: let him get the shuttle he hit into the net, let him wait 3secs when he's ready, do a victory lap when he makes an error...even better, smile when he messes up :p maybe chuckle a bit...

EDIT, I also wanted to add his footwork is rubbish ;)

#21 jerby, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Smart Jerb, nice thinking :D

3. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Sure he's annoying, but if you're going to play at a serious level, you'll just have to learn how to deal with it. He's not the worse I've seen.

Was there actually an umpire? I couldn't see one.

I am a little surprised that the annoying player won. His opponent looked like a better player technically. Perhaps he just lacked the competitive edge.

Wayne Young

4. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

this dude is just pure uncool
    not to offense him but he has poor footwork
    slow response(hands ALWAYS down, and not really ready for any smashes)
    and extremely poor sportsmanship
    i would complain to the umpire if it was to be me
    very unpleasant experience definitely ruins my day

5. matchbow

matchbow Regular Member

watching only the first minute or so, i really don't see what's so terrible about him. yes, he stalls a lot and yells randomly, but he's doing what it takes to increase his chances of winning, which aren't too good to begin with anyway. i do a lot of gaming, and one of the most important concepts in gaming is "playing to win." that means, taking any and all advantages you can find and exploiting them as far as they can go. if his entire goal was to win the match, not caring about anything else outside the match, his tactic was completely valid. in playing to win, there are no cheap tactics. only those that work or do not work. it wouldn't make him any friends, and if the opponent complained to an umpire, he'd be screwed, but that didn't happen. for more information about what i mean by playing to win, you can go to sirlin.net

6. Kiwiplayer

Yes, my thoughts about this are in line with Matchbow's. The player may be aggravating, but he won in the end. And he won against a player that looked a lot better. As a player, you need to just deal with it.

Wayne Young

7. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

i would like to say that ofcourse winning is the main goal in a competition
    but wat's the point of stalling and all what not
    it's fine to win
    but stalling that obviously and demonstrating poor sportsmanship
    is just a bit over line
    i hope that everyone plays for the mean for physical fitness and enjoyment
    instead of only knowing to win
    if so then won't you see all the proffesional stalling and screaming??

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If the all pro's are stalling and screaming, they'd get tons of complains and criticisms around the world, thus ending up in embarassment.

9. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

yep, even Nadal was bashed before... because it took forever for him to serve...:D

10. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

so, if you're concept is doing anything to win, do you consider putting sweat into the shuttle a valid tactic???

also, clarify this: "not caring about anything else outside the match."

11. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

hah, thats what i was about to say too.
    the best way to screw with someone's game is to call them on their serve or have them redo it beause you weren't ready.
    his opponent should of been a bit smarter, but i figured he was well beyond the point of thinking straight, he was probably so frustratred or angry.

12. Kiwiplayer

It's not unknown for top players to bend the rules. Stalling is quite common as are loud outbursts.

As an example, remember the Athens Olympics Mixed Doubles final between Gao Ling/Zhang Jun and Gail Emms/Nathan Robertson? Zhang Jun, being the fuller figure player that he is, was blatantly stalling for time to catch his breath. There was also plenty of mind games regarding shuttle change requests, too.

It happens. If you're a competitive player, deal with it (or you end up losing). If you're a social player, well, just do what you want or what your peers find acceptable. If you're a spectator, then feel free to heckle and express your feelings. It's just a game, afterall.

Wayne Young

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if there was an umpire, he/she would give out 2 warnings:
    - to stop delaying in between service
    - to stop making loud noises.

14. Kiwiplayer

Maybe. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. This is with qualified umpires at big events.

However, in low level competitions like this, the umpires are often just other players. These guys are really just there to make line calls and keep the score. They're not going to be giving any warnings or yellow cards.

Wayne Young

15. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

in my opinion, its not wrong to shout after winning a point. but not the way he did =_=

also, i dont see an umpire around, or this kid will certainly get a yellow card ;)

16. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

there was an umpire but not an all-out serious one like in an international tournament.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There are two sides to this.

First: if your opponent behaves like this, you should not allow it to disturb you. If there is a match official, consider complaining; but in any case, do not allow it to ruin your game. You must develop the psychological strength to be undaunted by such behaviour.

Second: if you behave like this, then yes, it's a perfectly "valid" tactic -- in the sense that you can probably get away with it in most games, because there is no umpire, or the umpire is not sufficiently confident in his role. Equally, it is "valid" to tamper with the shuttle, to insult your opponent, and to drop your trousers and wave your bum at him. You can even spike his drink with a narcotic drug, or threaten him with violence unless he lets you win. These are all "valid" tactics in that you might be able to use them to win; but they don't comply with the laws, and they are certainly not befitting of a sportsman.

If you are reliant on these tactics to win, then congratulations: you know how to cheat. ;) Similarly, you can serve from well above waist height, and change the score by arbitrarily adding points to your count. Why not? If no-one can stop you, then it's "valid", right?

#37 Gollum, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  18. Kiwiplayer

Like life in general, these things tend to be self correcting. Players who use such tactics may win in the short term, but it seldom pays off in the long run. For a start, these types of players will often not get picked by team coaches etc. This either encourages them to change their ways or they stay where they are with less opportunities to progress.

Like I said, it's no big deal.

Wayne Young

19. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    Oh men i think i am able to beat this guy down in single he is so cocky if i've a opponent like this i'll just smesh him all the way he just another crap & he is not even good at all...

20. matchbow

matchbow Regular Member

regarding the doing random stuff like tampering with birds or spiking drinks: it's properly against the rules to tamper with birds, or at least to break them, so that's not a valid tactic. also, things that aren't viable in high level tournaments aren't valid either. just as it isn't valid to kick someone in the shins to help yourself win, you can't do really random stuff like spike their drinks to help you win. what i was mainly talking about was his psychological tactics, stalling and whatnot