your L/R forearm sizes.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Jul 3, 2001.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Re: Size Update! :D

Actually Joanne, it was more like 3 weeks, but with high weight(at least for me the weight I was using to do curls was pretty high)

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Re: Re: Re: Size Update! :D

Wow that's interesting. Since I started using working out my forearm (it was mostly ignored before) i noticed that my forearm size has gotten slightly smaller (by 0.2cm) but it's strength has nearly tripled. In fact, my forearm is stronger than my biceps even though its much small than it.

I can lift 40 pounds per wrist (more comfortable with 8x35lb or 12x30lb) using the forarm. Btw, how much weight are you up to now? I'm curious how much higher my weights have to be before achieving your forearm size :)

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Size Update! :D

BRL... believe it or not... 25 is as much as I've ever used... since I've hurt my wrist before i try not to risk another injury... so I dun go up too high... next time I move up another 5 lbs will be when I can do 25X30X3 without all the muscles tensing up entirely

I've just started lifting this yr(january) so... still a noob at this too :D

4. bigredlemon

It's good not to rush too fast into lifting weights... over-extending yourself does more harm than good. I wonder how much the international players can lift though. If they are so fast with 2U racquets... they must be superman/women. I'd guess 100 pounds with forearm adduction, and 40 punds with forearm abduction.

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    BRL, I am aware of the injuries that might occur during heavy weight lifting so I've been fairly careful with it.
    btw... I have a theory for ur shrinkage of forearm size. Here's how it goes: before you worked out, there might have been fatty inbetween ur strips of muscles, or extra H2O carriage by the muscle, when you started working on it, those start to deplete and thus it may appear as tho ur forearms have "shrinked" U might see the same thing when you see bulkier people work out. They might thin down and at the same time increase strength

Just a thought

6. bigredlemon

I think H2O amounts in the muscle should increase as the muscles become more fit because of the increase in creatine and calcium which lowers the salt-water equilibrium. Your fat idea makes a lot of sense though and that's probably what it is.

7. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer

Damn, I wish my progress is as fast as yours. I've been doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls for 2 months and all I got was 0.5cm more on the left forearm and 1cm more on the right forearm. I started with:

Left Forearm: 26.5cm
    Right Forearm: 27cm

And now it's:

Left Forearm: 27cm
    Right Forearm: 28cm

I workout every other day, for reverse wrist curls now I can do 45lbsx8x3 and 70lbsx8x3 for wrist curls but that's a barbell meaning both wrists at the same time. Maybe I should eat more or something.

8. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    silentlight
    I do mine with dumbbells, i find the much more efficient as ur curling in different positions (with barbell since u gotta hold it wif both hands it restricts your movement, with dumbbells there's also another advantage, while your curling with one arm, the other hand could be used to support your wrist, I find that when I support it I can go up to higher weight. Also, I'm prolly overloading already, the weights i'm using r on the heavier side of things (for forearm) I'm also doin reps til my forearm's too sore to move for a minute or 2... but that doesn't mean over-do it too much... pain=stop... that's wut I was told

rite now... both my triceps are sore as hell... I dun think I'll do too well later today when I help coach the highschoolers ^^"

BTW... if u set a goal for yourself, you're more likely to "gain" (either strength or size) faster because if ur not making the demands, ur mind will help you push slightly further than ur body can

9. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Yeah I was thinking maybe another thing that makes your exercise more effective is that you do more reps. But I read that choosing a weight that you can do more than 8 reps with benefit muscular endurance and that you won't gain much strength and mass. Also how often do you train your wrists? I'm gonna do it your way for a while in hopes that I can get closer results, thanks.

10. bigredlemon

JChen: sounds like you're working your muscles very hard. If you're using the "running the rack" principal on your forearms, you should take at least one, ideally 2 days to rest the muscle group, and possibly more if you are not eating a lot of protein with a high biological value (like whey, mlik, egg whites, etc.) If you are working the forearms every day and playing badminton every other day, then perhaps you should either stick to the traditional 3x12 method or do your workout after badminton practice.

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    silentlight, what may work for me may not necessarily work for you... but here it goes. I work mon/wed/fri but I do a lot than just wrist and I ONLY use freeweights. However, I do chest/shoulders/back/forearms mostly, and work out other muchle groups along the way. I have just recently moved up to 25lbs, and prior to this I've stayed at 20lbs for quite a while(2 weeks after moving up from 15) now I do 25lbs X 3sets X 8-10repes(increment) Hope this info helps
    wut does running the rack mean?
    I do eat a lot of protein, actually, I just eat a lot in general :D I try to base most of my intake on protein and do drink a lot of milk
    I play badminton the same day I workout. Depending on the day I will play harder and workout less or vice versa. Workout occurs after Badminton except monday, which I do not work out much of my shoulders and try to concentrate more on forearms/chest. Also, currently for me there's no "practice", there's only drop in and club, so I do not get worked over all the time ;)

12. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Size Update! :D

It's not that your forearm is stronger, it's just that it's doing less work. Your moment arm for your wrist is only half the length of your palm. The moment arm for the bicep is the length of your forearm so for the same amount of weight your bicep is doing between about 4-6 (depending on relative palm/forearm lengths) the amount of work.

13. Grufey

Grufey Regular Member

Student
    Weird

r arm - 25, tensed - 26.5
    l arm - 23, tensed - 24
    r wrist - 15, tesnsed - 15.5
    l wrist - 15.5, tensed - 15
    r thigh - 54.5, tensed - 55.5
    l thigh - 53, tensed - 54.5
    r calf - 36, tensed - 37
    l calf - 37, tensed - 38

my body seems weird compared to all urs....hmmm

14. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Weird

nah... if the size of ur legs havn't changed since ur gr7(lik me) then u'd be weird :D

15. Grufey

Grufey Regular Member

Student
    Well, my height hasn't changed since end of gr 8, and i'm gr 11 now...dat's weird enough for me!

16. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Forearm
    R 30cm
    L 27cm

Thigh
    R 62cm
    L 58cm

Calf
    R 41cm
    L 40cm

All measurements taken with muscles completely relaxed, and with no prior workouts on the same day. Multiple leg injuries have left me considerably lop-sided (pun intended :().

#76 timeless, Feb 20, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2003
  17. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    joanne

ur arm measurement?? :D :D :D :D:D

18. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    And that doesn't just stop a what you can see! hhahahh - thought i'd get even for that cat thing...

19. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hahahahaha~ :D Gives new meaning to the greeting "Hey~ How's it hanging?" :p

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    really don't need to know that.
    but if it were a racquet, you should cut it off and get it restrung...:p