Your first few matches..

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by splinter, Sep 10, 2005.

1. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Hi all... I had a internal school match last wednesday which i had lost.. well that's not the point i want to bring out.. i lost because i felt nervous throughout the match which lasted like say 15 mins? haha.. i felt that i could have played better if i had calm my nerves down.. which i tried to do it after i lost 4 points in a row in the first set by taking a water break.. but that didn't help as soon as i got back to the court... in the end.. i was thrashed 0-11, 2-11.. (they had a 11 point system as it was in the qualifying stages)

i had no competitive expriences in my secondary or primary school btw..

so i was wondering if you people could share how you guys/girls mantain your composure during your first few matches of your "playing career".. Maybe the methods you used or some sort..

Oh yeah.. the defination of matches i meant is those which has something to be won like a trophy or prizes.. just trying to make things clearer..

thanks..

#1 splinter, Sep 10, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well. i started torunament when i was 8-10 so it's practically "live with it".

mostly i try to think positive, and focus.
    "they got 4 points..what the hell, they still need 7 more. let get cranking"

but of course...this never always helpes. just remeber when things get hard, dont play teh difficult shots: quick and clear badminton: drop, clear smash, lungs. don't make diffuclt slice's, do your backhand around-the-head no base-line smashes, no jump-shots. keep it simple: less errors=more points.

3. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    The first few competitive matches, especially in tournaments are soo helpful in the learning process... even when you think you learned nothing from it and just sat there with the large defeat. Uncounsiously, the great shots of the experienced players are stored in your memory as possible shots. My advise would be : don't care too much about the results, be open minded for methods other players use (whatever that is... from shots to rest breaks), look around and enjoy the ambiance.

4. Arief

Arief Regular Member

where u play? JC? well, just keep ur calm. pretend it's just a normal match. for me i always try to be 'cool' and cheerful. that way i won't feel any pressure..

5. Djiban

Djiban Regular Member

badminton addict aka baddict
    we are on the same boat splinter...i'm just trying to join competition whenever i can cuz IMO, the more you play the more u get used to it

6. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    first time playing a tournament is a new experience for everyone.
    You will more confident the more matches you play.
    Try not to worry about anyone around you apart from the match.
    And do not attempt shots you are not comfortable with.

when i first played in a league match at 16 i was in the same position as you.
    I lost both games playing with an experienced player (doubles). At times i felt i let him down and at times i felt i could have done a lot better than i did.

As i had more league matches, these failures soon came to sucesses and i am winning most of them now.
    So dont feel bad about losing a competitive game. Learn from it and build up ur confidence.
    You will soon be on winning most of them...

Good Luck

7. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    In Poly.. SP.. hmmm.. what about u?

8. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Yeah.. i think the more matches one plays.. the more exposure he gets and he will get used to the atmosphere..

9. terror

terror Regular Member

used to play against those pros in their 30-50s in sports halls. at first kept losing cos didnt know how to react to playing with them. previous i always played with friends and we were all friendly u see... after a while it gets better. then it gets competitive. then u start winning. its good experience anyways

10. Arief

Arief Regular Member

i play in JC, TP. oh, is it some international student competition thing? coz i got a friend there who participate also...

#10 Arief, Sep 12, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  11. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Competitive game

Hi Young man,
    When I was in my 30s, I used to play for my company. I too got nervous and cant win a guy who was not better than me. As time passed, I got used to the environment and got more composed, I started to win matches. Just relaxed and some times take some deep breathes and calm yrself down. Just play yr usual game. Concentrate on playing yr best shots and accuracy counts in this case. Once u get used to the atmostphere and competitions, the sky is the limit, man.:D "I v do my best!!!!" Logo;)
    Lee

12. macca

macca Regular Member

im only 17 so i still remember my first *proper* match which was a few years ago.

At first its a little daunting to realise that your team are counting on you to put in a good performance and to win games, along with the fact that you are playing against people that you dont know (normally).

Experiance is the only way to calm your nerves, after like 5 or 6 matches you wont be any more nervous than if you were playing your mates in a fun game.

Or thats what i found anyway :).

Also it can help if you try to keep your game simple and play percentage - play easy lifts and drives until your opponent makes a mistake then move in for an easy kill. (Easier said than done i know :p) This sort of tactic can decrease your unforced errors - tight net shots not going over, smashes into the net and so on - dont make hard shots, just wait for an easy one

#12 macca, Sep 14, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  13. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    playing first few matches

Hi Macca,
    Agreed. By making less mistakes, one loses less points. Patience is an asset in this game. first of all, one has to have good stamina to last the game, or else it is better to finish the game as quickly as possible.A tired person tends to make more mistakes. So tactic do play a part in game strategy.;) Attack yr opponent weaknesses, good placement and wait for easy kills. Well, ideal option.:D
    Lee