You play two sets or three?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Grotius, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

I play in France and in Thailand and I've noticed a curious difference. In france if we play 2 sets, with one win of each side, we go for 'la belle', the decider set. Usually this last set is a good one, we've had the time to learn our opononents moves and there's a little more intensity in the desire to win.

However in Thailand I noticed that most of the time, two sets with a win on each side, we let it go at that, no one pushes for a decider game.

Perhaps a difference in culture or even religion. The french group need to know who is the winner, the thais are happy that everyone is satisfied and has one win under their belt. Christian badminton as opposed to Buddhist badminton?

Perhaps some of teh guys from Indonesia, China, Singapore and also the other european would care to comment on what is the norm in their country?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lol, funny story. Could it be due to court time allotment? At some clubs, with busy courts, groups are allow to play 1 set or 2 set as there are people waiting on the sideline. If people were allow to play the rubber (la belle?) set uninterrupted, then every groups would fix the winning to extend play time to rubber;)

3. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

No no, in both groups time and courts was not a problem. In France the court is ours for the 45 minutes, or double session 1h 30 minutes, we've rented it. In Thailand there was time and a a free court. In either case it wasn't an issue.

Myself, I think it's more a question of philosophy. Is it better to have the happiness of winning, individually, or the happiness of just knowing that your entire group is satisfied?

Personally I play much better when I'm happy. Whilst winning is good for the ego, it follows that losing is bad for it. Perhaps one of the reasons asians win all the championships is that they are happier than europeans, not having taken so many bumps to their egos?

4. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Yes. This is the main reason in the queueing that I join. There are many players waiting for their turn to play. But let's keep this hush hush. Sometimes, we do a rubber set without exchanging courts so that we wouldn't be obvious. Hahaha. :p

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I was told that training in China is a dead serious one. Darn! They even had a military-style training.

Maybe it's all about the balance of everything: happiness, competitiveness, discipline, etc. :D

When you're happy and you know it, whack your bird. Whack whack!

6. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

I live in southern France, and traditionally here, people are a bit sloppy about punctuality. In the clubs I play at, the 3rd set is such a normal thing, that most people accept to wait a few minutes while the guys finish their match.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Btw...is it a set or a game??..

..i know this is quite a common use, esp. in this forum, but technically in badminton, we call it a "game" instead of a "set". ;)

Taken from BWF's website:
    7. SCORING SYSTEM
    7.1 A match shall consist of the best of three games, unless otherwise arranged (Part II Section 1B Appendix 2 and 3).
    7.2 A game shall be won by the side which first scores 21 points, except as provided in Law 7.4 and 7.5.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, happiness of what ur doing is the key.
    chinese players are happy training badminton because it beats working long hours in factory, construction site or coal mine:p:p:p

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i guess u could be right because i can't think of other reason for that.
    There r many reasons that can explain european can't punch through the top 10 ranking mainly because their national interest isn't in badminton, so the best athletles are not going into badminton.

10. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Hmm, perhaps I'm using french style notation. here 3 sets = 1 match.

It's easy to muddle languages when the words are similar in sense, but not quite the same meaning.

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

In Australia we play mostly only 2 sets, the reason simply because time limit on the court and the amount of players waiting. Therefore if each won 1 set, we tend to go by how many point (in total) that we score to dertermine the winner. This apply to both social games and local competitions.

In Indonesia, i think its 3 sets match if i remember correctly. Plenty of time and courts available. You can play til you drop.

12. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    over here in malaysia, most of them play a game of 2 sets, whether its a draw or straight set won they have to leave the court - courtesy to the next group waiting.

while some play the 'best of 5' (sets) - this group usually smaller group and are regulars.

but some only play 1 set, that is half a game! lol they play for $$ and mostly over 45 yrs old. at any one time there are 20 players in queue for just one court!

as for training in my center when it comes to match play, we don't go for set or game, we go for a long duration, mostly 45 min non-stop .... x 2

#12 pBmMalaysia, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Erm..it's used worldwide...

..as already mentioned, the use of "set" instead of "game" commonly appears here in BC, even by members around the world; not just in your beloved France or in French style notation.;)

Anyway, i understand how the words could get muddled since tennis' terminologies are somewhat or somehow related to baddy and could be interchangeable.

Here's a good explanation below on the differences:

#13 ctjcad, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  14. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Maybe they are tired after 2 sets or games, to be more precise?

Here some players bet with shuttles. Each player contributes one shuttle and in doubles, there will be 4 shuttles. The winner takes any remaining unused shuttles. Sometimes they stop at the second set with each side winning one set simply because there are no more unused shuttles left and that the used shuttles are crap and no one is willing to contribute to another shuttle. That happens.

Other times, it is because of too many other players waiting to use the court or they are simply too tired to carry on.