You know you need a hiatus when ...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by venkatesh, Jun 15, 2010.

1. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I've been playing badminton for God knows how long. My play lasts for approximately 4 hours, 3 times or more a week. At first, I only play at the court near my place. But as time went by, I expanded my territory and went on to join other clubs even far from where I stay. That's how addicted I am to the sport.

However, there will come a point in your badminton life that you'd feel you are too much exposed to the sport that your drive to play gets to be more minimal compared to before. This is the point of saturation.

Yup! I think I need a vacation. I think I need to hang my racket for a while and veer away from playing. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy badminton. But since it's already a part of my existence, I'm missing the feeling of "missing" to play badminton. Do you get the drift? In order to reignite the intensity of my passion, I need to abstain for a while. For now, I think I'll enjoy my other interests.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Have you been in the same situation? Would you care to share yours?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It sounds like you are making a wise decision, venkatesh. Too much of anything can dull your enjoyment.

Here in Canada we are used to rotating sports through the year: Not so much baseball in the winter. Not so much pond hockey in the summer. Change is good for the body & soul! Besides, how can you date beautiful women if you are constantly at the court?:p

You will be back in hungry fighting form after some time off. :) (keep singing though!!)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, sometimes you can oversaturate on badminton, especially if you're playing 12 hrs per week for years.

Other than taking a break, perhaps you can try improving in a different way:
    like getting together with a few others just to practice on drills. Any drill that you think you need improving upon, eg. smashes, drops, net, drives, etc.

The other option is to hire a coach to analyze your game, improve on your weaknesses and take you to the next level.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Maybe you should put some money on the games... or fight for a bottle of gatorade.. or probably get TRASH badly by someone.. then it will ignite your will to play and improve further.

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm looking forward to more gigs ... at least earn a little from that. Badminton could be too pricey also. Hehehe. Thanks man!

6. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Thanks for the advice. However, I think I'd stay away from badminton courts for now. I will be busy with rehearsals this coming July and August. But after that, I'd be back with more fighting spirit! Gggggrrrggghhhh!!!! I just hope I wouldn't lose my touch. :)

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Thanks ants. I've done this already ... betting bottles of gatorade. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't.

At first, I thought it was about playing with the same people every week. It became boring. Thus, I tried playing with other people from far away places. At first, I got excited. But it went back to boredom. Perhaps not playing will make me miss the sport.

Don't get me wrong. I got bored not because I feel like I'm the best player already. It's not that. I know I have a lot (lots and lots and lots and lots) to improve on. But I think the best way is to stay away from the sport for a while. I feel tired already. To quote someone I know, "Maybe I'm getting old". ;)

8. BadYankee

BadYankee Regular Member

hiker
    Same sentiments from my Pilipino friends as they reason out mostly the grandeur Monkey Hoodlum Politics destroying their Spirits!

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    vekatesh, i hear you. i have very similar experience as you.

there was one period of time where i was a bit down in terms of badminton, i took i think 4-5 months off and i was very excited to go back to the gym to hear that same "PAK PAK" sound that we are always used to.

a couple years later i came to another similar situation as you. i used to play with the same group of people all the time. it wasn't boring, nor was it not competitive, but instead it was repetitive and i was no longer excited playing with the same group. i noticed that i was must more excited when playing with people that i don't know. so i started playing with different people and i was so much more into the game. now i play more often in a different gym and played with a whole different group of people and i am playing a lot of very excting and fun games.

so please do take a break, but do come back to badminton as once you badminton, you always do. and meanwhile, hang out with us here in BC and enjoy chatting and watching tournament with us!

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

4-5 months off??..how long did it take you to dust off the rustiness??..i took abt a 3 weeks hiatus from playing baddy & when i came back my timing was so off..
    yes, we call it keyboard badminton..;)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wasn't very shiny to start off with so it didn't make that much of a difference.. ;)

12. Pulish

Pulish Regular Member

Theocrat
    Try playing and partnering with the celebrities, burgeoius, wannabees and at best radical clergies. Since you are down bored, their beautiful figures and outlook might integrate with your latest spirit, kind of balancing act! Beware of the bureaucrats and police for there presence might be an adventurism of shame and deceit. Then the foreigners are worth the Rebound!

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I don't think I can survive for 4 to 5 months without playing :)
    Maybe just one month or so.

And you're right. It's not actually boredom. The proper term is "repetitive".

Thanks Kwun.

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Nice one Pulish. I'll keep that in mind. :)

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I get bored if I don't play tournaments.

16. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I bet you win a lot that's why tournaments excite you. :)

17. makapili

makapili Regular Member

Police
    You win and get excited at the right setting with the right comfort and right "pointers"!:cool: