you have an offensive weapon.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Feb 8, 2002.

1. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    travelled with racquets as cabin baggage on singapore airlines in March 2003. No issues.

2. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    confirmed with some friends. they have travelled to and fro beijing from malaysia with rackets as handluggage on china airlines, southern china airlines and singapore airlines (to singapore instead of malaysia)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Travelled between US and Canada in April, 2004. Read the flight regulation, and decided to go safe - pack the rackets in the check-in luggage (cargo). :(

4. Michael.ru

Michael.ru Regular Member

Badminton is so close to martial arts...

Just some moves of your favorite saw...

and it becomes clear why some badmintoners advocate that badminton and martial arts are sooooo close!

Attached Files:

5. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    so stupid, my fists can do more damage than a racket lol

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, that mean martial artists have to be hand and foot cuffed or chained to their seats :eek:

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Whatever you take, don't take AT800 OF. Because it's wording as "Armortec 800 Offensive" :p

8. shlikjohn

shlikjohn Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I went home to the Philippines last Xmas and I handcarry my rackets (badminton and tennis).:D

9. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    I am going to flight to AE this year, and I will be taking to the plain badminton rackets for the first time. So I was curious if I can get rackets with my hand luggage.

I contacted the staff on the airport and I was informed that rackets cannot be taken to the plane :mad:. I will have to put it into main luggage, but it will be a problem since I don’t want to take with me big and hard suitcase.

Anyway, I think it is good idea to call to the airport in advance and ask about their current procedures. There can be nothing worse when you are forced to throw away the racket at the last check-in.

I am just curious if it would be possible to hide the racket(s) under the shirts ;). They shouldn’t find it since there are no metal parts...

regards
    dzgdz

10. mulliet

mulliet Regular Member

hmm.. in Australia at least you cannot take badminton raquets on board planes..

am in the WA under 17 state team.. when we went 2 North new zealand for Australasian Under 17s.. then we got told 2 put the raquets in luggage.. and put the fragile signs on them.. :p.. I spent half an hour talking 2 customs making sure that the raquets (2 armortec 700s and 2 MP 99's) wearnt harmed..

Then they let this Professional tennis player take his raquets on board :( .. how unfair is that

11. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    they're rasist!!!!!! :mad:

12. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

G'day,

I just travelled out of Melbourne and Back. I had no Issues taking rackets out or even bringing a 6 racket kit bag loaded with rackets in. I think its Just Airline policy and Inland security. Also Try to get a Tag which says CABIN baggage.

What australia unfortunately does not recognise is that when a person (leaving the counrty) who is not allowed to hand carry them, poses an equitable amount of risk when he carries them on his return journey. If rackets are a threat, then flights into Australia should also not allow this. So much to their Stupid policy.

As to aussies being racist, ..................... but definetly they are very SAD losers. They have no Grace in defeat and that is when there are overtures of ...........

13. mulliet

mulliet Regular Member

lmfao.. they may b racist.. but considering im english and not asian??
    although all other members of the team were..

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I was traveling during Christmas time (two months ago), and I hand-carried over a dozen of rackets with me inside a Yonex bag on board. No problem.

I travel at least once a year to Taiwan, and in past 3 years, I have never have any trouble at airport. (By the way, I fly NorthWest). I think it's a good idea to take your badminton bag with rackets to show them that, badminton is a type of sports, and they will not even bother you on this issue.:)

15. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I went from Malaysia - London with an MP-88 with no problems in 2004 and also from Japan - London with an MP-100 in 2005

16. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    I brought two rackets with me from BeiJing to Toronto like a week ago. Luckily, I wasn't stopped for bring them on the airplane with me. But I too, have heard similar stories of how rackets aren't allowed to be carried on the plane.

Just a side question... do professional badminton players carry their rackets with them on the plane? :confused:

#36 tinkerbella122, Sep 2, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  17. valkyier

valkyier Regular Member

I think I'll share some experiences regarding this topic.

I travelled from Perth to Singapore the last time which was in July. Those f**ken officers did not say a thing about my racquets when I checked in. Only when I wanted to go into the customs, one Dic*head told me to go down back to the check-in area and have my racquet bag checked-in. I was really pissed off by them. Firstly, they did not inform or even asked me whether I wanted to bring racquets into the plane as hand lugguage and they stopped me from going into the boarding area.

However, there were no issues from Singapore to Perth.

Then again, last year, when I came to Perth to visit my relatives, I can't be stuffed carrying my badminton bag as I know that I wouldn't have much of a chance to play in Perth, so I only brought my racquet and hand carried it all the way. I didn't even have a bag. And there were no issues going or coming back.

One thing strange is, I am not sure why do Australia worry about me bringing a racquet out of their country and yet they forbid it as it has nothing to do with them. Furthermore, I am not even taking Qantas. May be racism...:mad:

18. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Flew Manila -HK -Manila last May.. brought 6 rackets with me, handcarried took Phil airlines --- no problems.. coming back was even better. We were about 5 or six who had about 20+ rackets in between us.. and no problems..

Last Aug 1 HK to Mla.. I suddenly had problems when I used a bigger carrying case.. had 12 rackets with me... so I check it in with the fragile stickers all over the bag.. had a most worrisome flight.. but fortunately, all rackets arrived in pristine condition .. also on PAL.

regards

19. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Valkyier, I can understand your frustration but please be careful with comments like that. You are generalising a whole country there.
    The nationals are on in Melbourne this month and the NT team was advised that they cannot take their racquets on a flight as hand baggage. I would have thought that they would make an exception for representative teams myself...but there it is.
    It is just a policy, and what I beleive is the problem is an inconsistent application of it. This has probably occured because the classification of weapon has now been extended somewhat inconsistently to items that may be employed as a weapon regardless of their original or dominant purpose. Some staff may be undertrained or stupid and therefore unable to make the distinction as the line is now much more blurry, others will be very highly trained and take their job seriously or turn a blind eye.
    This policy has in my opinion been born of fantastically exagerrated media reaction that tends to guide public reaction, and as such is a result of PR considerations as much as actual security considerations. Any serious consideration would find there are more inoccuous and cheaper weapons of similar capability to a 'strike-once then stab' badminton racquet available ;).
    Unfortunately, being an aviation buff, that is the reality of security policy in this country, inconsistent and more of a bother to the innocent if they are any impediment on the potential criminals at all.