you have an offensive weapon.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Feb 8, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so my mother just came to visit me from HK. i had her brought a couple of rackets over, quite a natural thing for a badminton fanatic to do. and even more naturally, i asked her "guard them with your life, and make sure you hand carry them".

being a great mom that she is, she brought two brand new yonex rackets through security. security looked at her like a criminal, questioning her what those stick with handle and nets are. with a little bit of thinking they declined to let her take them onto the plane, claiming that my brand new yonex rackets are <b>offensive weapons</b> and had her check them in instead.

so if you are planning to take a flight with your rackets, beware....

2. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    lol... :)
    Your mom was lucky enough she had got no shuttles on her. Or she could be easely prosecuted for trying to capture the plain planning SHOOTING shuttles at pilots and guards with the "offensive weapons" she had.

3. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Nice story. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think someone had investigated the idea of storing rackets in a harden case instead of thermal bags

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    those security staffs are well trained, they could recognize your rackets are for offensive plays, therefore, not allow onboard. :lol:

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    how about using the racquets for defensive plays. Does that count in her favour?

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    *LOL*

Therefore, only travel carrying MP-80's! :)

Seriously though, I could well imagine that a determined individual could kill a person using a splintered graphite shaft...

8. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Well, a really determined one could use almost anything for his dark purposes. :)And don't forget that bare fists can be lethal if you know how to put them in use. Is it sufficient for introducing handcuffs as an antiterrorist cure?

9. johnboy

johnboy Guest

I am diabetic and as such have to inject twice daily. On boarding ouf flight to Thailand at Xmas last year I advised security staff that I had needles on me,.. Their reply was that they had no problem with that provided I only took into the cabin the number of needeles I needed for the duration of the flight.

When I asked what difference it made as to whether I took 6 instead of 5 on board I met with that wonderful line.....Well that would be a security risk ?????????

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Indeed! it was a Iso 900 SX, for offensive singles. :)

11. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hahah...I always wondered about that since 9-11. Used to travel and brought my racquets along in the carry-on and I must admit that after 9-11, anything could be considered potential weapons.

12. clive

clive Guest

i travel a lot as well in the usa and i am usually able to carry my racquets on board with me. but its a huge pain nowadays since i am ALWAYS singled out for random inspections whenever i carry a racquet. i've actually had security people trying to scrape out the lining of the thermal bag. it helps if you're carrying a yonex bag i think since that is a little better known in the usa than yang yang or something.

i wish badminton racquets weren't so damn fragile. if you had to put them into the luggage compartment on planes, what kind of bag options are available, does anyone know ?

clive

13. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Perhaps for such reasons one could bring some:

1. Photos of a world class tournaments going on ie All England or US Open, best with the wordings 'All England' or 'US Open' visible.
    2. A couple of photos of players in action ie Camilla and Kevin Han could do nicely, I think... ;)

and explain that badminton is a world sport, played even in the US.

The only reason why your mother got questioned is because the officers simply had no idea what they are actually used for, I think.

14. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I had my friend carried racquets from Taiwan and there wasn't any problems at security checkpoint. I guess it really depends on the security officer if he/she recognizes what the stick is about.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well i guess that we have to promote badminton to those custom/immigration officers in that airport and i assume its HK Airport. So next time they will know its badminton racket and not your Offensive weapon. Hmmm is your mom carrying AT800 OF? hehehe

16. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    you could always take the rackets out and play a game b4 you enter the customs check :D (be sure to play defensively, dont go aggro, maybe invite the customs officers to join in, in which case dont hit him/her with ur racket:p )
    or get 2 cheap steel rackets and sandwich your precious expensive racket between them in ur checkin luguage, surrounded by the latest in winter wear :rolleyes:
    or get a cello case :D

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I was told

the Woven 13 requires a weapon locker for home storage :)

/Twobeer

18. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

How bout some one...a dealer...ship a dozen of MP-55 on a wooden box...and happen that one 5 of the 55 happen to flake off...den wuldnt it read MP-5...lolx...jus a tot

19. extremepower

extremepower Regular Member

Help badminton players to enjoy badminton and affo
    offensive.

Looks like she must be holding a killer models. Perhaps the custom wants to own one.....
    rgds

20. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Just curious. For those of you who have travelled recently with racquets do you guys hand carry them or do you pack it in with the cargo?

This applies to people who have travelled on singapore airlines recently as I have a buddy there who is bringing me a racquet or 2 home. Please advise. Thanks.