You Guys Have a Diet Plan?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by FirstSecond, May 10, 2009.

1. FirstSecond

FirstSecond Regular Member

Student
    I have a question to you badminton players.

Do you guys have a special food plan you follow? Like eat this in the morning, lunch, dinner, when to take certain supplements, energy drink, etc.?

I'm just curious. Thanks!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not for me. playing badminton 2-3 times a week is a good enough a diet plan already. besides that, i eat anything i want to.

3. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    I would not say that I have a very specific diet plan, but I do follow alot of general rules that I have taken from my sports nutrition book.

For instance, I try to drink arround 500 mL/30 mins of effort. The drink has a concentration of arround 5-7 grams of carbohydrate/ 100 mL with a bit of salt/potassium (usually 50% water, 50% orange juice with a bit of salt added).

In more intense training periods (like this summer), I also watch what (and when) I eat before the effort (badminton training, working out, cardio training) and what/when I eat after the effort aswell. I also try to eat alot of carbohydrates before and after the effort in other to keep my glycogen levels in an acceptable range.

In my case, having a more specific diet affects both physical and psychological aspects of my game: physical as I have more endurance and I feel that I can train harder, longer.
    Psychological as I feel that I am '' lighter '' on court and that I just move arround faster.

4. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    My diet plan consists of a lot of meat.

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Mmm... lots of meat and veggies is the base of my diet. Avoid the overly lean cuts of meat, fatty ones are much more satisfying. Eat carbs around the times you're exercising.

6. FirstSecond

FirstSecond Regular Member

Student
    How often do you guys eat fastfood? Or you guys never eat fast food? =o

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    almost never. not because of diet, but because most fastfood are just disgusting.

8. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

I eat a hell of a lot of rubbish, my mates don't undertsand how i'm still skinny. Like i have one litre of redbull equivalent 5 days a week. the only food i try to eat is some protein after a work out or badminton, like milk, cheese or some pistashio nuts.

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

ughhh, you might want to take it easy on the 'red bull equivalent' and the rubbish. being skinny does not make you immune to diseases. don't take what i've said the wrong way though.

that is not the way to lose weight is it ? from my understanding, to lose weight, you have to put in less than you use.

im looking for an effective way to lose excess body fat so that i can lunge around the court faster, not get tired as easy on court because i have less on me to 'carry', jump higher, and look better (read healthy) at the same time. now won't that be perfect. there are also some clothes (including badminton ones) i am dreaming to get into and feel comfortable in them. if only i have a magic spell for losing weight!
    any tips?

10. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    The objective of my diet plan is not to lose weight, it is to increase my performance (my weight is fine). While it's true that in order to lose weight, one must eat less calories than he spends, it is also important to understand that you need a minimal amount of nutrients in order to keep training. So you might aswell add a few calories if it can keep you training for a few more hours.

Now for the tips... Losing weight takes time. Usually, if you lose more than 1 kg per week, its because of dehydratation and that weight will be taken back quickly. What you should aim for is to lose fat. Losing 1kg of fat requires to burn between 7000 and 9300 Calories, which you can divide in 7 days = 1000 to 1330 calories to cut per day (with both food and exercicse). It is not recommended (actually, its dangerous) to go under 1500 calories/day if you are a man, and 1200 calories/day if you are a women, especially if you are an athlete. In order to have all the nutrients you need with so few calories, you must be extremely disciplined, thats why such diet plans should not be attempted unless you are very well informed and ready to calculate your portions and the amount of nutrients your body needs.

As a general rule (if you don't want to follow such «extreme» diet plans), you can cut the junk food and the «empty» calories and exercise more. The key is discipline and patience, I do not think there is another healthy way arround losing weight.

Hope it helped.

11. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

was not referring to your objective in any way ;)

thanks for the tips!

12. Kobold

Kobold New Member

University student
    Na, not really hey. I'm extremely health conscious though and my mother is a nutritionist but I don't alter my food intake just for badminton. Some things I do follow though are:
    • Don't eat less than 3 hours before you go play.
    • If you're going to be in a tournament or something important, no alcohol the previous/on the day.
    • Drink water. Never anything fizzy or juice. At most drink some energade.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my diet plan:

Friday: hotpot, ate almost a pound of beef
    Sat night: watched CO Final, ate half a can of Danish cookies
    Sun: Prime rib, ate another pound of beef

total gain: 4 lbs

Monday night badminton, lost 2 lbs already. 2 more badminton this week and i am back to normal. :)

that's my diet plan. :p

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    My diet plan is similar to Kwunie except for the inclusion of baby aspirin, bran congee with nuts and the occassional BK burgers . . .

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and the diet plan must work as both Pete and I are thin as a stick.

16. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Just you two skinny rakes wait until you reach 40. Then you'll find those "indiscretions" don't melt away quite so easily! ;)

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. better enjoy it now!

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    40 is not so far off :D:rolleyes::p:eek:;).

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Baddie three times a week + weight + running + training = burn all those junk foods!!!

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..you should share with kwun your diet plan and let's see if he can lose as much lbs as before..:cool:

#20 ctjcad, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010