Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I very much doubt you can tell from the pictures how thick the grip is. If you ask me, mine looks thicker (super grap on original grip). If he gripped over the original grip you'd be able to see the shape of the original grip below. In any case, it's pretty common knowledge LCW grips on to wood so I don't even know why we're debating it.

For the record, he does not grip straight on to wood. But on to tape. If you gripped straight on to the wood, the super grap would tear apart when you tried to remove it due to the glue residue on the wooden handle. I believe he layers up electrical or athletic tape over the wood and then applies super grap to that. Which is also likely why it ins't as thin as you'd expect it to be.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

there is no glue on supergrap.

3. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    When you remove the original grip, you get remaining glue residue on the wood itself. Hence why it's best to add electrical/masking/athletic tape over the bare wood first before you apply Super Grap.

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Simple. Prove it. What article are you talking about? Post a link as I have posted the pictures. Without a proper reference everything you claimed as "common knowledge" or "fact" is just plain back-fence talk.

And also when you overlap the Super Grap when you grip it especially as neatly as LCW does (yours is very messily wrapped on I really have to tell you honestly) you won't be able to make out any detail which is present on the original grip anymore. Unless of course if the grip underneath has a huge "backbone" right at the centre like some Kimony grips, which the Voltric racquets (and pretty much all stock Yonex racquet grips) do not have.

Regarding grip thickness, it is child's play when you compare a racquet grip with a double layered overgrip on top of the original grip versus a racquet grip with only the original grip (which is what I suggested people to compare). Specifically, the stock Voltric grip is 1.35cm thick while the Super Grap is 0.65mm thick (double layered as how LCW does it will make the grip 1.3mm thick). In this case it is impossible to not tell the difference between 2.65mm grip thickness (which is double layered Super Grap on stock grip) versus just 1.3mm grip thickness (which is your claim of only Super Grap on raw or slightly thickened wood).

5. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
  6. Blitzzards

And I can not believe you are actually using this to back your arguments up.

First of all, ants IS NOT LCW. The video is a demonstration by ants on how you can wrap the Super Grap like how LCW and countless others do it and make it look neat without the need to finish it off with the tape provided in the packaging.

A lot of times in the video ants said "How LCW does it too" but have you even once heard "This is LCW's racquet"? You can PM him to clarify if you insist.

As I have suspected from right the start, all your claims have been your own assumptions without actual scientific experimentation (i.e. getting two G4 racquets one with and the other without the stock grip and gripping the Super Grap neatly as LCW or how ants demonstrated then comparing the sight and overall grip thickness).

7. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Anyone has any picture of the VT80 LTD - Red for Japan? I ordered mine ... arriving in 2.5 months, August 20th.

8. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
  9. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Heard from http://www.bustedracquet.us/badminton.html that "The VT80 LTD will also have some proceeds going to the victims of the Japan earthquake" and I guess it'll be red themed because it's referred to as VT80 Limited - Red for Japan.

MBS is retailing it for 295$.

10. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Ants is supposedly friends with LCW and has trained with him or something along those lines. If I were to believe anyone, I'd believe him. It certainly looks like it from all the pics I've seen of LCW's rackets/grips anyway. Ants has personal contact with these players, you're going off some low res photo's, and even then, trying to gauge the thickness by eye from these photo's.

Talk about pot calling kettle black.

LCW's racket grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the same method results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the same thing, this time without any athletic tape underneath.

[​IMG]

#1370 Naim.F.C, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Gentlemen, choose your weapons!
    :D :D :D

12. Blitzzards

Good thing you actually posted these first two pictures. You can clearly see that in the first pic the grip is slightly thicker than the one on the second, which means that pic 1 is with the original grip intact while pic 2 has no original grip underneath. One more give away clue is how the grip tapers to the handle from the bottom, the grip in pic 1 is noticeably smoother which means the contour of the original grip is present underneath.

Your grips on the other hand looks more like the ones on the second pic of LCW you posted. The final pic (which I don't think belong to you judging from the uploaded source) tells a lot more about how the Super Grap tapers. With a little thickening material at the bottom it will look like pic 2 while the smoothness of the taper in pic 1 is unmistakable. You are lucky that I don't have a Super Grap with me at the moment. I have tried both methods before (with and without original grip on G4 handle) and based on my experimentation I see the results on the first two pics of LCW you posted. If you'd like, I will do my best to get the grip and take pictures of wrapping on wood and original grip to show you my observations.

One last thing is, do you think that the Yonex stringers who took the pictures I have posted WOULD NOT have actually picked up LCW's racquets and commented about the grip thickness? I guess that you are accusing of the picture takers of not knowing anything and that ants would have known better even given that fact that he is not the stringer at the most recent Sudirman Cup?

Then I pity you for not being able to look for any good information in the other forums (considering that you even read the other forums).

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are you guys actually discussing about the racquet (the thread topic) or LCW's method of grip?

14. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

i am confused, why is LCW method of grip an issue of debate? unless his grip style makes me play like him? back the topic, I missed the VT80 already, must pry it off my kaki's hand again...

15. Blitzzards

Pardon me. I never would have thought that it could drag on that long.

16. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    nevermind blitzzards...somehow i enjoy the debate and looking forward to try it on my racket. i think the end expected result is how to make our 3U feels like 4U in a sense....and this information found to be very interesting.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

OK back to topic now hehehehe

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, so many debates about the vt-80. I once asked LCW's close friends about his racket gripspecs.. He told me LCW sometimes use 3uG4 sometimes 3uG5. Just wanna add some information:)..

BTw, im looking forward for the release of vt-80 ltd:cool:

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Or u guys thinking of wanna grip your racket like that?:D
    More discussion and info please visit the thread at the gripping section of the forum;)
    View attachment 99464

20. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Did you ask if he grips super grap straight on to wood? (Obviously with tape over the wood first).

Thanks.