Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Not sure what you mean by round the head shot. I meant if the shuttle is far left of the court (I'm right handed). I tend to prefer to do backhand clears here as I have to move too far to one side of the court (maybe off it) to hit it with a regular forehand, putting me out of position.

2. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Around head forehand is when someone hits a shuttle to your backhand but you move across far enough to take it with your forehand. You shouldn't be out of position after doing this shot because you have more options as to where to return the shuttle, and it can be pretty obvious after doing this shot (in singles at least) that the return from is likely going to be placed in the part of the court furthest from where you are.

3. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    around the head shot is also called overhead shot

unless you are Taufik Hidayat avoid hitting a backhand if you can

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Even Taufik Hidayat's backhand clear can and has been smashed at for a straight winning shot by various professional players.

5. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Naturally. All players make mistakes, and sometimes just the wrong footing, timing or off sweet spot shot can cause a backhand clear to be less powerful than anticipated.

The shot I'm currently having the most trouble with is the cross court back hand. For some reason when I do this I often end up hitting the shuttle in to the net or off target. Don't think I've got the technique quite right, and often miss my string bed's sweet spot.

Need to practise this more!

6. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    that's mean even the best backhand in the world can be punished severely

so avoid backhand clear whenever you got the chance, it's better to do overhead shot ...

7. Racqman

Racqman Regular Member

I play for fun, so i seldom avoid using backhand. As enjoying all the techniques could use is my main purpose of playing all the sports, not just badminton but basketball as well.

Personally i oftenly use backhand clear, backhand drop n backhand cross court drop especially in single match.

Anyhow, i have problem with my backhand cross court clear accuracy n backhand smash not fast enough.

Like to play trick shot as well eventhough fail most of the time, but could be better with more practise.

Trick shot in badminton just as And 1 basketball style, it is so cool to learn n play.

To me, sports is enjoying as I'm not pro. Ofcourse different people different way of style of playing.

To be more related to the topic, i'm using VT80 3U version most of my game. Anyhow, I dont actually a fan of racquet. I used my fren's racquet Wilson, Victor, Apacs still I can play as well as what i usually do as long as it is 3U, string at least 25lbs and thin grip.

8. hduong

hduong Regular Member

Is the VT80 stiffer then SW35? I found the SW35 too stiff and was hurting my elbow after a couple of weeks. BS10 for me was fine with no issues.

9. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Probably more to do with the head weight difference than the stiffness imo. My MX80 is actually marginally stiffer than the VT80. But the VT80 is still more demanding to use.

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Another person who suffers from elbow pain. Is there anyone else apart from me who hasn't suffered elbow pain while swinging a 100g weight?

I'd like to know of those people who get elbow pain, what their total body weight is, and how many press-ups they can do.

11. hduong

hduong Regular Member

I play a lot of tennis though and suffer no tennis elbow when using heavy and flexible rackets. With tennis, the heavier and flexible the racket, the easier it is on the elbows and joints. But also means more demanding as the player has to generate his own pace. That is why I don't think total weight of the racket is an issue for me. More the extra stiffness of the SW35. No pain with ArcSaber 8DX, BS 10, or SW 36. These are head heavy and stiff rackets also. But only 80% or less stiffness of the SW35.

Been playing tennis and badminton for over 20 years so I do hit shots with moderate pace in both sports.

12. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    My shoulder gets little sore the next day after my 1hr singles session. But it only last 1 day. My elbows did feel funny at the beginning (cuz I never used a HH racket before) but no problems with the elbow now. Keep in mind that I only play twice (1hr + 2hr sessions) a week of singles and doubles.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So, has anyone who owns a Woven7 also used the VT80? How does it compare?

14. sxg2009

sxg2009 Regular Member

you can open a thread with this request. but what info you can get by correlating body weight vs. # of push-ups vs. elbow ache?? bit confusing!

15. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Can't wait to test out the 3U VT80 and post that it is an amazing defensive racket with the ability to produce amazing drives hehe. It's all in the technique/adaptation.

16. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I think you'll love the racket once you get in a few sessions with it.

17. raksasa.gorgon

raksasa.gorgon Regular Member

Full Time Badminton Player
    Woven7 is heavier than VT80 3u. VT80 feels slightly head heavier but slightly stiffer and a lot faster.

18. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    try to play with advance players as your opponent in MD
    or play with someone that's above your level
    then you will feel sorry that you've chosen a very head heavy racket

19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

How do you know I'm not Mathias Boe posting under a different name hehe.

I've got plenty of excellent less head heavy rackets already by the way.

EDIT: oh and by the way, if they are above my level, it wouldn't matter which racket I use - I'd obviously still lose in general, but at least I may be able to get some satisfaction from getting past their defense occasionally hehe.

#1099 ssj100, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

By the way, the VT80 seems to be used by both singles and doubles players at the pro level. I wonder if the singles players are using the 3U and the doubles players are using the 4U? Perhaps they are all using the 3U?