Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I find smashing the most enjoyable aspect of badminton. Therefore, 3U all the way for me. I think good technique and timing can easily compensate for any loss of racket "speed". But at the end of the day, it's not like badminton is a source of income for me - it's mostly just for fun and exercise. It just happens a lot of that fun (for me) is to produce big smashes!

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I don't understand what you mean by "Yonex are notoriously heavy". They are the same weight as any other "3U" or "4U" rackets.

3. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

maybe 2U version? well, all of my rackets are above 100g, that because on the G5~G4 handles i put 1 YY tennis replacement grip with thickness 1.80mm plus another 1 RSL replacement grip with thickness 1.60mm & final touch is 0.60mm of YY overgrip. I never measure the total weight, but all head-heavy rackets of mine turn to be light-head balance. I find it easier to maneuver the racket with near-perfect control when having super thick handle!

4. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

EXACTLY HOW I FEEL!!!! Nothing like smashing the bird so hard that you can literally feel the racquet bend backwards.... Eventhough it claims to be stiff shaft LOL.... Just got my VT80 today... Can't wait to try it out tomorrow :D

5. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I wasn't the best smasher in my group. But with the VT80...I am now.:D

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Power generated from head heavy racket can be easily compensated by a stiffer shaft. Why would one has to sacrifice speed just to keep power while you can have both worlds of power and speed by having balance and super stiff racket like MX80?? In fact NS9900 is one of the most powerful racket out there, its just a matter how to use it.

7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

That's why the VT80 is also a stiff racket. The best of all worlds in the power department.

8. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    As discussed before, with smashes, unlike with smaller action shots like drives and defence, there's a lot more movement. If you're strong enough that you can swing a head heavy racket the same speed as a head balanced one, which is the case with me now with the VT80 vs MX80, the head heavy one will produce more power since it has more inertia and momentum. The ideal for power is a head heavy AND stiff racket.

9. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

I lost mine already:crying: and it is the 3rd racket I've lost in my life. It's not the fault of the racket although. Mine was delivered with pre-strung BG-65 with too low tension. So I restrung it with NBG-98 at 11 kg. After the restring in the morning I left it alone and took a look in the afternoon to put it in my bag. One main string on 8th hole had snapped and blade bent to one side so the blade has snapped also. Very expensive racket since I played 4 times with the old strings.

10. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    That doesn't sound normal or right at all. 24lbs (which is roughly what 11kg is) is not even a high tension. Very surprised it would snap. I believe you can do a warranty claim through Yonex as it snapped well under the recommended stringing tension.

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Isn't the RST for the 4U lower than for the 3U?

12. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Just Googled it.

Recommended String Tension: 3U (20-27lbs) 4U (19--26lbs)

He's still under the recommended limit.

13. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

True. Still, not a good look for Yonex. CarbonexFan, are you sure your racket is genuine?

14. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

THNX for the recommendations, but this is a real racket and the problem is not that the tension is way within the specs. I even checked it on the handle. The problem is that the string looses on one half over the time. 1 string line is not a problem, but if one side is losing all the tension, the other half is pulling with x times 11 kg, and that's never gonna hold. So let this be a lesson to all of us, cut your string when 1 has snapped immediately! I'll try to claim, but I guess I'll lose it as a user error as I cannot prove it's a defect of the racket.

15. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    That's why I carry scissors in my bag. To cut strings when they break and for when I want to replace a grip during a session.

16. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Thought I'd post my review taken from the VT80 vs MX80 thread here.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/95121-Yonex-VT80-vs-Victor-MX80/page11

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Naim.F.C, if you work long enough with the VT80 in the areas it apparently "lacks" for you, you'll find the ratings will go up. For example, "Drop Shots" and "Defense" seem to be the weakest aspects of the racket for you. Therefore, you just need to practise doing delicate drop shots more and try to improve your defense by eg. playing against advanced level players who have powerful smashes.

18. samuelk

samuelk Regular Member

-
    got a feeling voltrics 90 going to come out with thin shaft and head heavy thin frame.

19. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Obviously this is true, but it's also true for any racket. I honestly feel you can adjust to make any racket work for you, even cheap frying pans lol (not literally speaking). The above scores were really assessing what the strengths and weaknesses were of the racket pre-complete adaptation.

20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Perhaps I wasn't talking about rackets in general. Perhaps I was suggesting things you could personally work on in general.