Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, I saw a site that was charging about $40 USD more for a JP than another code. This didn't make any sense to me. Personally, this just looks bad on Yonex and/or their distributors.

2. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    if i am japanese, i am buy JP for sure.....:)

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Sh!t happens. Send it back, get a new one. No point acting like Yonex is impervious to the odd lemon...every other company on the planet has one slip through the cracks every once and a while, so Yonex is no different. What a surprise.

Anyway, I will say I was impressed with Peter Gade and his switch to the VT80. He seemed somehow more confident in the IO, and despite losing to LCW, still looked the bizniss and was wielding the thing like he was born with it already attached to his arm. Impressive.

4. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I don't think the VT80 had anything to do with the increase in confidence. In fact, to me, Peter Gade's level looked exactly the same as before - he was lucky LCW had a nap in the 2nd set. I didn't even know he was using the VT80 by the way - just learned it a few days ago.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    1. Yes, JP serial, from Shuttlehouse Japan.

2. The only reason that makes sense to make the weak-spost wider on the frame is to improve, strength/rigidity on these areas (without havving to use more expensive materials with higher strenght/rigidity in these areas of the frame). There is no advantage to make it thicker from an earodynamic perspective, so the only logical reason is that this to save production/material cost.

3. Yes.

6. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

I have to admire his fitness level; he didn't look that tired in the drawn out third game. LCW taking a nap would probably still beat me 21-0 though. :)

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Nope use a thin aero-frame with reinforced, hig-quality grapfhite (maybe woven, naon etc to increase strength) instead of using cheaper graphite and only increase thickness to make it stronger.

I hope/think the QC error does not affect durability.. I have it strung @ 31x33. Don't get me wrong the racket plays superbly!! But I cant help to think it could have been so much better, if the beancounters at YY didnt have as much say in the racket design :)

Will try to do a minireview when I can :)

/Twobeer

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Nope, It came with the bump from japan UNSTRINGED, I have since that stringed it now. but the QC error was on the unsringed unwrapped racket.. And it is a bulb on the frame not a mark. from preassure, scratch etc.

/T

9. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I've seen this stated numerous times wrt to the VT80 and with other head heavy raquets. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about this idea that head heavy raquets result in a fatigue issue. My current raquets are the 900P and the VT80. I play 5-6, 3 hour sessions a week and I don't suffer any fatique issues due to the balance of the raquet. In fact, by far the biggest arm/shoulder fatigue factor and injury hazzard are the quality of the shuttles used by the clubs I play at. I'm also curious what is meant by having to use the wrist. My other raquet is a Victor BS 10 and I find that failure to use the proper wrist technique is punished far more severly than with any of my head heavy raquets.

To each their own, I suppose. Just my $0.02

10. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Spoken like someone who doesn't remember what it's like to be an intermediate player.

11. thunder.tw

LOL, I can remember yesterday just fine. I am an intermediate player.

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    You play 18 hours a week mate. The only thing you're 'intermediate' at is maybe 'good places to go out'.

13. thunder.tw

quantity is not equal to quality. I don't get the last part of your message. I supposed I'd also like to hear your definition of intermediate.

14. samuelk

samuelk Regular Member

-
    anyone have both voltric 70 and 80 ,

which one is better at doubles ? specifically better for net play.

15. Rivai Zhukov

Rivai Zhukov Regular Member

Student
    It is very subjective thing
    I'm very sorry to say something for everyone especially thunder.tw,my review is very subjective.
    So,anybody could think differently.
    For me VT80 is the best racquet i ever use,because it so perfect and fit to my gameplay.
    Personally,I love head heavy racquet.
    So VT80 is not so tiring if you use it in right technique and good stamina.

Why I said using wrist ? because to impart the power from your body to racquet,you must use your wrist.
    If you swing the racquet using arm,your shot will be weak.
    Because the power will reduced at your arm.
    Just remember physics about Torsion.
    The most powerful force lies at the edge of subject like sword.
    (In this case the frame of racquet).
    The end of the sword,you got a optimal speed and power.
    If you want to generate powerful shot (smash),wrist is very critical to generate that power rather than arm.

I'm just highlighting at "Excessive use".
    For me,excessive use mean using exceeding your limits.
    Everybody has a stamina limit.So it is very clear.

About fatigue issue.
    If you don't have lactic acid,you'll never get fatigued.
    for me,the balance of racquet do effect the fatigue.

#895 Rivai Zhukov, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  16. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

You keep mentioning about wrist and arm power generation, but you have not mentioned anything about how energy should be transferred from the arm to the wrist to create the pronation that produces the torsional power that is needed for high clears to power smashes. Have you tried swinging a racquet with your arm remaining totally straight then just twisting your wrist at the moment of impact to hit the shuttle? Truth is, the most powerful shot you can generate is only a fast drop. Your forearm muscles that power your wrists just aren't as strong as your bicep and tricep that powers your arm at the elbow.

Another important thing is how energy should also be transferred from the feet to the twisting of the hip to the full arm plus wrist swing when hitting smashes and very high clears. All these techniques influence the flexing of a stiff racquet shaft more than just a simple twist of the wrist as how you imply.

17. thunder.tw

Precisely, it is subjective. With that in mind I merely reflected on my skeptisim about how big a factor head heavy raquets are when in comes to arm fatigue. Nowhere did I imply that this invalidated your review or even that I personally didn't find it of some value. You are also right do say that anybody could think differently and people certainly do. But, in doing so does not amount to an attack on the validity of the view you put forward.

See I'm completely with you on this.

Well, I defy you to come up with a raquet that isn't tiring if you use bad technique and have poor stamina.

Wether I agree completely with this or I don't. Once again it pretty much applies to any raquet you may choose to play with.

18. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Master TB,

I have no excuse and will not say anything about your finding on the paint/defect.

on #2
    That is one reason for ISO racquet. But that is not the main reason for making it thicker for the VT. The main reason is to add additional mass to the shoulders and throat. So when shuttle impact off the center, it is more stable (which is useless for pros because they always hit in the center anyway). In addition, it shift the sweet spot up by 1 cross and widen the top sweet spot a little (it is noticeable to me, may not be for other). Yes, additional strength to the shoulder is an added bounus. It is not a game changing racquet for pros or good player.

Man, i still need to figure out some way to send you some beer from US...

19. Rivai Zhukov

Student
    wrist is the point of torsion to distribute the power from body to racquet.
    using arm means the point of torsion lies at elbow,so the power is not as great as using wrist.
    But once again,everybody has their own techniques.
    If I did wrong with my opinion,I do apologize.

20. Rivai Zhukov

Student
    My review is based on my experience.If you thought that my review is invaluable and pointless.It's up to you.This review is just my opinion.
    I can't make a review that everybody agrees and of course you could disagree,you call.
    If you insist my review is invaluable and pointless.It's up to you.
    The only thing I can do,I'll do better review next time and hope make no mistake again.

make your own racquet that you think isn't tiring to use.
    I suggest you make a electrical racquet and ultra repulsive string.
    So you don't need to use any power to make a shot.
    bad technique? easy to overcome with this racquet.
    poor stamina? you don't use any power to hit the shuttle with the racquet.

Thank you