Yonex SWISS Open 2018 : Qualification - FINAL (20-25 February)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Feb 14, 2018.

1. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

aerosensa 50 .... oh didn't know it's still in production

hmmm last time i used that was what .... 20 years ago? omg how time flies....

2. It'sMeMeMe

blondie stoeva quite pretty :rolleyes:

3. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Jorgensen movement seems likes he got a pulled muscle or something

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think JOJ is bit rusty though still fast and strong and he's not reading his opponent's game well; otoh, Sameer Verma is playing better than I expected from him here.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sameer's defensive ability is superb

6. lurker

lurker Regular Member

the way he dives reminds me of LCW

7. mohans

mohans Regular Member

With this game, Sameer will break into top 20 soon. JoJ, looked a bit rusty, but all set for a good comeback from injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. It'sMeMeMe

Boe using 88s ..... not sure bout carsten though

9. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Doesn't look lile fully match fit

10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    To me, JOJ performed way better than expected, I know this tourney missed by a mile even for a '300' but he still managed to put himself on the podium in the very first tourney that's really impressive.

The competition is "fiercer" than the last time he was at his '' A game' but I can see him breaking in top20 soon

stanleyfm likes this.
  11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

As predicted, the left-handed Sayaka Takahashi downed her compatriot Natsuki Nidaira, the senior totally outclassed the junior in first game but Nidaira started more aggressively in second game that brought her to lead 9-3 then 12-7 before Takahashi slowly to close the gap and turn the table at the end of match and won WS crown, 21-12 / 21-18.

Mixed double clash presented tight and most interesting final contest between two European representatives, German duo Lamsfuss/Herttrich edged out English pair Ellis/Smith, 22-20 / 21-19. The top-seed had chance to finish the tie faster when managed healthy leading 19-14 but their rival refused to give up and pushed German combination into the limit.

A marathon final showdown that involving many long rallies often occurs in women's doubles discipline and yesterday's match was included. Stoeva sisters took opening game, 21-19 but typically resilient Japanese players bounced back to nail second game, 21-15. At decider, a gruelling battle as expected primarily after the interval, Bulgarian pair led narrowly, 18-16 then the momentum shifted to Japanese promising duo to grab five consecutive points and claimed first ever Super 300 title after being runner up in Auckland last year.

Last two finals were anticlimax, Sameer Verma exploited his capability, combination of hard smashes, magical shots at front court area and solid defense that outmaneuvered the comeback Danish player Jan O Jorgensen, 21-15 / 21-13. Men's doubles last round also served similar pattern when the strong favourite Boe/Mogensen outplayed Thailand youngsters Isriyanet/Namdash, 21-15 / 21-11.

HSBC BWF World Tour Super 300 will be back soon in Mulheim an der Ruhr with strong line-up there :)

kwun, Cheung, stanleyfm and 1 other person like this.
  12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Congrats Clelly. As usual, your effort is incomparable. Wonderful conclusion.

Verma played extremely well to shut down jan o jorgensen as if he did it to Momota.
    Perfect boast to his morale. Hope he gets the confidence he needed to proceed for the future tournaments.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

13. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

Rescheduling of Spain Super 300 impacted the Swiss Open. If I remembered correctly, there is also Denmark Super 100 that occupied the week after AE but also vanished.

TBH I'm more worried about Spain

stanleyfm likes this.
  14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the level of tournament is based purely on how much $ is involved.
    bwf has no control of who enters or not @ the 300 level.
    players/teams have their own schedule worked out to a 95% degree before the season starts.

15. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Swiss open
    --------------
    Srikanth Kidambi (India) - 2015 winner
    H.S.Prannoy (India) -2016 winner
    Lindan (china) - 2017 winner
    Sameer Verma (india) -2018 winner

16. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    So what do you use now? Surprised that you are surprised about AS50. ^-^

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

That s why imo, they should reward the title differently

Let S1000 be S1000, S500 be S500. In tennis wikipedia, i believe they did separate it rather than lumping it together. S300 is too far off in quality (most of the times anyway except Ger Open)

But of course we will always know that S500-S1000 as Superseries.

18. It'sMeMeMe

i really thought yonex replaced as 50 with f series or something.... i remember reading it many years ago.... but here it is being used as the shuttles for swiss open..... i must have bad memory or something
    anyway i used to play with as40 and 50 interchangeably as i couldn't really feel much difference between the two.... though i sometimes downgraded to as30 when i was broke...well nowadays i'm not as strong as when i was 20yrs ago and just play for fun and sweats and using local brand shuttlecocks... definitely not worth mentioning the brand and type especially compared to as50 hahaha

suffice to say it's around 1/8 the price of as50 hmmmm maybe i should try to get a hold of as50 again for fun... though i doubt my current baddies group willing to cough up the dough ahahha

swsh likes this.
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Not plastic shuttles I hope. Should be much cheaper and longer lasting. :)

20. It'sMeMeMe

i actually played with mavis 300/350 for 4 years around 1 year after i moved on from as50/40.... those 4 years were the worst badminton period of my life.... there was 1 time i joined local tourney for fun in the 3rd year i think and they used feather shuttles in the tourney and i remember i lost in the first rounds both MS and XD matches coz i mishit the damn feather shuttles pretty much every points... so lame..... that's what you get playing with mavis.... lame.... i was so embarassed to my XD partner... lame..... never touching any more plastic shuttles.....

nah nowadays i'm using feather shuttles.... local brand cheap ones but still usable.... man i'm not worth using tourney grade shuttles nowadays....maybe if this knees somehow got better.... maybe... or maybe i just need to move on from this wavefang ss... the cushioning seriously is lacking despite the extra insoles.... but its rubbers still bite the floor like formula1 tires and it's the most durable baddy shoes i ever has..... man decision decision

ops too much unrelated rants maybe ahaa sorry mods

stanleyfm and Loh like this.