Yonex Nanoray 900 / NR900

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by demolidor, May 12, 2014.

1. color_wolf

color_wolf Regular Member

Just played a 2 hour session with this racket for the first time. I usually play with a NS9900 and I mainly play doubles. Strung the racket with N98 at 26lbs.

What I first noticed with this racket is that it isn't as headlight as the 9900. I felt a I could move the head of the 9900 a little bit faster and easier so it took a little time to get used to defending.

I did notice that can generate more power with this racket than the NS9900 ... and I am already a big smasher with the 9900. I hit a jumping smash so hard that the opponent could not defend the shot and it hit him right in the mouth. Clears from both forehand and backhand were crisp and effortless. Drives were solid and a bit harder than the 9900. I hit drop shots with a bit more speed and angle as well.

Now to the bad part... I felt that my touch at the net got significantly worse. I probably hit 2 nice net shots all night. I probably just need to get used to the racket, but it was shocking how much worse my net play suddenly got. I was popping birds 10 inches above the net and when I tried to compensate I came up short.

Overall I feel that the racket is pretty good. I don't know if it is a worthy or proper replacement to the NS9900 because it just doesn't play and feel the same. I think I have to get a couple more sessions with the racket in order to get a good feel if this racket is the racket to replace the 9900 for me.

Bry

2. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    totally agree with you here. but the makers seem to produce at their fancy. just look at the grip size is a fine example. in my country, most of player like smaller grip as strongly shown in left over stock in shops or in those yonex sales. but I thk they keep producing the same amount of g4 in the newer product.

now, did they get any feedback from their marketing team?

come on, TH had been asking for a g6. yonex, please get your production proportion right.

3. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

[Q UOTE=concretemad;2248049]totally agree with you here. but the makers seem to produce at their fancy. just look at the grip size is a fine example. in my country, most of player like smaller grip as strongly shown in left over stock in shops or in those yonex sales. but I thk they keep producing the same amount of g4 in the newer product.

now, did they get any feedback from their marketing team?

come on, TH had been asking for a g6. yonex, please get your production proportion right.[/QUOTE]

Probably they got him a g6 but for the rest of the market g5 and g4. Heh

4. jimmycass

jimmycass Regular Member

Teacher
    Had a two hour session the other night with this beaut of a racket. Strung with 66ultimax at 27lbs. I was after a 9900 replacement and I have found it. Clears both side are effortless, bigger smash on both forehand and backhand sides. Defence is fantastic and net/drives are great. I heard some bad rumours about this racket about it being head heavy but the racket head to me feels very light and it is a very fast racket. Very impressed. I remember the 9900 getting some bad press when it was first released but don't always believe what you read or hear. This 900 gets the thumbs up from me.

5. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

This racket is one of the best rackets I have ever done smashing with. Slow, yes.... but what compensates for the speed is the angle. The smashes go down MUCH SHARPER than other rackets I have used.

6. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    Slow?? With such frame and head light. May know which racket is comparable?

7. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I think he meant the smashes aren't particularly fast lol. On another note. I must say. I rather like the stiffness of this racket. It's stiffer than an MX 90 and JJS to me.

8. i800Yoty

i800Yoty Regular Member

I was really looking forward to this racket, but it's really expensive here! :( Just waiting to see whether it's worth it or not

9. color_wolf

color_wolf Regular Member

The racket is considered head light but it isn't as head light as the 9900 and not quite as stiff either.

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The numbers (as per usual from at700). By the numbers definitely a higher swingweight than NS9900 (more like NS9000X/S)

重量G SW
    2U4 95.5 90
    96 90
    2U5 95 90
    93.5 89
    95.5 90
    3U4 90.5 86
    89.5 86
    89.5 86
    3U5 91 87
    91 86
    89 86

11. swunk

swunk Regular Member

I kinda got curious about this new racket and since i was eager to shift to something head-lighter than my zf2, i got myself a 3ug5 nr900. Well, it's stiff. Very stiff. Extra stiff. I absolutely agree with Ch1ko, it's on par with my mx90 in stiffness. It's definitely stiffer than zf2, even by bending, and more so in action, since the light head doesn't bend the shaft as much. It's noticeably head-lighter than mx90, head-lighter than arc11 (and way stiffer than this one, obviously). It feels fast, has nice power to it. Nice punch on drives. For me, coming down from head-heavy rackets, it's a bit hard to control the lifts and clears - you give a shot your normal action and they go midcourt, you add a bit more - and they drop long of the baseline. MX90 is kinda a lot easier to control.
    Somewhy i really want to like this one (maybe coz i flushed down the drain a pot of gold for it? haha), so i'll give some effort to get more friendly with it.
    I'd definitely recommend this one for doubles, not so much for singles (although Saina plays with it quite successfully, heh).
    Mine's BP is around 288 wet (zm65 at 25lbs, RKEP overgrip)
    Oh, and if you play with plastic - this one's not a good choice
    Also tried to add a couple layers of athletic tape to the top - doesn't work well, racket starts to feel heavy and slow, while bp shifted only around 4-5 mm.

#171 swunk, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Leonline likes this.
  12. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

Agreed with this. Had few sessions felt it plays differently than NS9900
    BP is slightly higher - NS9900 (285mm) / NR900 (290mm)
    Though i find the head frame swings faster and smoother...somewhat similar to BS frame IMHO :)

13. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

Personally, I won't say that. I personally find that Ti10 is heavy, slow and dull. I don't use that for my regular matches anymore..

I've waited so long for a NS9900 replacement and finally the wait is over. I got myself a NR900 2 weeks ago, strung with NBG99 with 24 lbs and 26 lbs cross. Wow.. totally love this racquet. I am not a pro player so I am not able to provide a full review of the NR900 here.. but coming from NS9900, Ti10, Arc7, Arc10 and NR800 and Arc11TH, all I can say is that I agree with some of the members here, NR900 is very close to NS9900 (according to some of my friends, I have not used NS9900 for a while now...). However, comparing that with my previous NR800 which I sold not long ago, NR800 is too head light for me and lack smashing power. NR900 is more balance, good for fast pace exchange, drop shots, net shots and driving. If needed, it can produce more powerful smashes as compare to NR800. NR900 is definitely what I will be using now for doubles together with my all time favorite ARC11TH for single.

#173 ahcash, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  14. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Thanks for your insight Ahcash. The ti10ltd to me was a nice and forgiving racket but still had great feedback. Predominantly a HH user (coming from Z-Force 1&2, At700,900 etc), I was hoping the NR900 to give me the same sort feel as the ti10. :)

15. ossscar

ossscar Regular Member

I bought NR900 today and play for 2 hrs. At the beginning it took me sometime to hit on the accurate position during normal stroke. But it goes well after I have played for few matches. My comment: excellent speed swing, fantastic control, net attacking, quick defense, smash shaper and sound of smashing are totally solid. Especially those player like jumping smash. However I need more times to get myself master on this NR900.

16. Lifestrong

Lifestrong Regular Member

PT Simpatindo Multi Media
    I use this racket NR900 3UG5
    Before use this racket,I use vtzf II 3UG5 and 4UG5,NRZS 3UG5
    I very like nr900 then vtzf II,nrzs,I think nr900 is all around racket..smash still good use this racket.
    But if you search for power racket vtzf II is better,if speed racket nrzs is better,and if you search all around racket I think NR900 is the best.

Sorry For my bad english

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Did I see Mathias Boe with one of these at the US Open? If so, it's about bloody time he tried a Nanoray; his defence is abysmal with the golf clubs he's used up to now.

18. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
  19. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Has anyone tried NR900 + victor powerizer (or anything lead tape) to shift the balance to be head heavy? I love the idea about flexible half head frame and extra stiff shaft... but never been a fan of headlight racket. (Sincerely hope Voltric range would have this flexible head frame in the near future)

Maybe the upper half frame will bend steeper if attached victor powerizer at point 10 & 2 o clock... would also increase the smash speed but maybe slower down the defense.

20. edak78

edak78 New Member

Hi,

New to this so forgive me.
    I have recently purchased a NR900 and have twin Arc11. Obvious difference in swingspeed and defence but I still feel I have more control over the majority of my shots with the NR. What's even better is that my lifts and overhead clears didn't go out the back as much as my Arc11.
    Bad news is that it has developed a crack at between 4/5 o'clock on the racquet. No clash of heads, no shanks and not high tension either....I think the knot has disappeared into the grommet and may have caused problems but any advice would be good. Already in contact with retailer.
    However I would still use the racquet (in full condition) and recommend it....if you liked even/ headlight racquets.