Yonex Nanoray 900 / NR900

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by demolidor, May 12, 2014.

1. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Yes...hmm, hard to say. Maybe the most difference is psychological.....but for me, that's counts to. I know I have made some differens with the racket, so I becomes extra sensitive to feel some differences and when I test the racket, my mind has already setup what I want to feel, and in the end...that's the difference! Did you get that!? ;)

It feelt more firm, and I don't regret to had them installed!

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I think I'd rather have the NR900 than the ZSPD I have at the moment.

3. djlightscene

djlightscene Regular Member

I was undecided at first but upon reading the comments here, i decided to buy the Nanoray 900. I love this racket especially when playing with tough opponents since its head light and defense, for me, was superb. It isnt as powerful as my other rackets but it is the fastest with i have. A definite must have for doubles

4. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

Hendra-Setiawan.jpg

2 WC titles for Hendra and Ahsan proves that you don't have to have the most powerful rackets and the biggest smashes for MD, clever and fast placements, counter attacks, fast flat exchanges and super speed at front play. NR900's definitely a must have for doubles!

5. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

^ Thumbs up for the above post ;)

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'd rather have a cricket bat than a ZSP.

7. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Yeah nanoray 900 is pretty damn good for doubles at the net guy;

The Z Speed is probably more suited to singles than doubles, and shows it's (unrivaled imo even to zf ii) potential when you have ample time to hit from the backcourt. You've got to be fairly accurate to manage it though...

8. blue.fired

blue.fired Regular Member

This is such an awesome racket. I wanted to go back to headlight after ZF, ZFII, NRZSP and VT80ETN.

Love the 9900, best racket Yonex ever made IMO. But it was pretty hard to find when I wanted to order 3 more as reserve plus this was supposed to be an improvement. It's not a 9900 copy! It has it's own quirks (I don't think it's as stiff or fast swinging either).

Anyway, NR900 has phenomenal defense with excellent power, control and very good feel for a headlight. You cant expect it to help you in attack like a VTZFII but if you put more of yourself into it, you can manage a steep and lethal attack that is almost beyond reproach.

It's going to be my primary racket. I just ordered two more.

Chiranjib Abinash likes this.
  9. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

20151014_232713[1].jpg

Figured I owned this guy, might as well review it too: It's a 3U G4

10/10 would be the 'best' I've ever used. 0/10 would be the worst TOP END racket I have used. 5 would be average. This way, the comparison is more obvious. Or else, I'd end up with a lot of other people giving everything in the 8-10 range.

Looks-I don't like it, pretty dull in my opinion. Not that it affects it's performance. It's got a mid-large frame, and very thin top, a medium side, and a thick bottom, qualifying it as a headlight. I could feel a lot of changes in curve shape in the frame. No ratings for this.

Attack: 2.5/10
    The attacks were slightly better than I thought. The so called cut drop smash hasn't worked out on me much, although there is a little bending on the top 1/3 of the frame. It can still pack enough of a punch in full power jump smashes to keep the opponent from walking fowards in anticipation. You have to be quite strong yourself to swing it at a high pace, else the smashes aren't going to be hugely threatening. I think it's overall fairly good.
    The 0/10's would be the 5U JS 10 and the arcsaber flashboost for comparison.

Drop: 2/10
    The fast quick frame allows easy stick smashes/fast drops to maintain the attack when you're not in position for a full hit. With jump drops, it is more difficult to handle because you swing the frame more in order for it to pass the net, at least compared to head heavy.

Escape Clear-5/10
    Pretty good actually, it is easy to generate power, but that power caps off pretty fast. Doesn't allow me to send it to the back of the opponent's court.

Defense-8/10
    Blocks are beautiful. Due to the quickness, it is excellent at blocking and regaining the attack. A large frame also makes it easy to block with. Lifts are also easy to connect, but sometimes the racket is too light you have to use more of your swing instead of a tap in other HH rackets in order to return an opponent's full power boom. If I had to break it down, blocks would be 10/10, and lifts 7/10.

Drives-10/10
    The master of drives. Nothing beats this racket. Extremely fast, large enough sweet spot (since drives it is hard to always connect the sweet spot). Best there is for every racket I have tried so far. In attacking drives it may lie in par with other head heavy's, but it's defensive drives are unmatched. I can't emphasize enough how good this is. In doubles, drives are the most important shot in doubles along with the serve. It is what makes you get the attack. In serious games, this is the racket to go for.

Note: if you are super powerful, you can generate even more speed with the VTZF II (both attacking and defending). Then my 10/10 rating is meaningless. I am speaking only for myself, as I am nowhere near good enough to hit faster with the ZF II than the nanoray900. But I can assure you the gold medal winners of the 2012 women's doubles aren't strong enough to generate that speed. Are you? Note: if you string anything less than 28lbs, the answer is a guaranteed no.

Netplay-10/10
    Slightly better than all other rackets I've tried, but don't look into this rating much. It doesn't make that much of a difference. Headlight makes it easy to net.

Overall, this is the best doubles racket I think in the existence of created rackets. It's drawbacks are obvious though, and be warned this is a specialized racket. For most recreational players where the pace of the game is not fast, it's probably a better idea to buy the head heaviest racket they can handle with the fastest smash.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Good review. :)

11. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I thought the workings on the piece of paper behind the racket was going to part of the review :(
    Still, very detailed.

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

To get 'actual' numbers/measurements you'd have to go to the lab, not the gym. :p

13. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Haha, true. :)

14. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Heck, a mere undergrad engineering degree gives me barely ANY knowledge in what YY is doing. I might know my basics about material properties regarding common carbon fiber structures, but that is not nearly enough.

Although the mechanics are so difficult to understand...I think even people in YY don't know what they are doing. I think trial and error thousands of times is the only way to go when creating designs.

It's kind of strange for the NR900. I hardly see anybody use it, but when I ask dealers, they say it's one of the most popular selling rackets behind the zf ii.

15. zaviour

zaviour Regular Member

Hi xiaoqiao,

may I know what is the weight of the ZFII that you using for the comparison to NR900?

1 more question, on the attacking rating you did mentioned JS10 0/10, is that the 4u spec? and did you actually play with the JS10?

I am considering this NR900 or JS10 actually.. tried ZFII 4U, feels too light..

Thanks.

#255 zaviour, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  16. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

I use the 4U ZF II as comparison. 4U ZFII still has big time power...I can't even do backhand drives with that racket with no backswing.
    0/10 would be the 5U version of the JS10. 4U JS10 is a little better and would be borderline acceptable for me.

If 4U ZFII feels too light...these guys are going to be much lighter than the ZF II. Are you sure you're saying it's too light? If that's what your really want you gotta go back to the 3U ZFII, or if that's too easy, the ZFI 3U.

17. zaviour

zaviour Regular Member

so did you tried 4U JS before? how is it comparing to NR900 for the attack? 1/10 or 2.5/10?

yeah that what I feel when i tried 4U ZFII.. Maybe because all along I used 3U Yonex rackets... 3U ZFI too slow and too demanding for me, I used it for awhile before eventually sold it..

Note: i am just a rec player level :eek:

18. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Jetspeed 10 4U would be even worse in attack than nanoray 900. I'd say 1/10 for fully loaded jump smashes. Hey...if 4U ZF II is too easy, and 3U zfI too slow, there's an inbetween 3U ZF II for you to try.

19. zaviour

zaviour Regular Member

Ok then nanoray900 maybe still a better choice.. hahaha scared it will be like 3U ZF1, which is not for mere mortal like me..

Thanks for the input ;)

20. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

nah man, nanoray 900 is gonna be a joke for you to handle if you tried ZF II. Just cuz it's 5 grams heavier overall, only means its harder if everything else is equal.