'Yonex Master Stringer' technique and knot

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mzc888, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Next time you're doing some mains, try opening the clamp with the base still locked... does the clamp fall down on its own? If not, dragging the clamp down will abrade the string. Mine don't, for the record, which is why I use Alan's "base-first" method.

Damage? Almost certainly not, but it's still safer - and no slower - to unlock the base first. Real OCD stuff. this;). (You're right: some machines do force the issue - the top-end Babolats, for example.)

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This will happen when the clamp is touching something other than the string (like the racket frame or the machine's supports), in my case anyways. It belongs to the stringer to know when that happens and try to prevent that issue or unlock the clamps accordingly.

I'm not having that problem though, the machine is well made and the clamps fall down almost every time.

And yeah, even if it were to happen, there would be no damage to the strings, if there is any, you'd probably want to use different clamps.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's probably down to clamp base quality - if the base turns any amount while the clamp receives the tension from the puller, the clamp won't be lined up with the string, and no droppy.

Weirdly, mine always fall down when I'm doing crosses, so I can "bounce" them the way Halim does.

4. kttcn

kttcn Regular Member

this is the reason why i suggested to unlock the base first.Actually i learn that from the us and china stringer certifying programme. Anyone have any European Authority on that?

Breakage by releasing the clamp first is unlikely as said but i think that is pretty bad practice to abrade the string in that way before the player even have as chance to play it

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I don't know about EU, but the UKRSA courses do mention base-first.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    unlock base first.

the fancy auto unlock mechanism is more over engineering and marketing than being practical.

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Who certificates in USA?

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA

Everything they do is focused on tennis though.

9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

He mentoined he learned from, meaning someone taught him? USRSA doesnt have anyone who teaches, not that I am aware of, most tennis stringers keep to themselves, dont want to give out knowledge, my tennis teacher wants his patterns and knots kept to the string team, not to teach his patterns and knots. Sounded like he learned from badminton people not tennis

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

He said certifying program, so I thought it might be the USRSA.

Also, while I don't understand why anyone would want to share their stringing secrets, it is possible to look for instructors on the USRSA website. http://www.racquettech.com/top/instructor_search.php

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Didn't really think about USRSA because We are in a badminton forum.
    I think anything on USRSA website is general stringing, when I string professional tennis tournaments, We have special patterns We have to follow, tie knots a certain way,players always want same string on same machine, in case a stringer is not there, We all follow same pattern, tie same knots, so the pro doesn't complain about string job.
    Tennis, We are way more technical, badminton, players are happy just getting their rackets back

12. kttcn

kttcn Regular Member

yes it is the USRSA when i say US certifying
    actually there is a two fold reason why i say it
    1st i learn the base first method form a person who was certified by USRSA who told me that is the way they were told do it.(which i admit is a kind of hearsay)
    2nd is that the china certifying programme which is endorsed by the USRSA published a manual saying that base 1st the way to do it in the practical exam,therefore i concluded the USRSA would agree on that method otherwise what do they meant by "endorsed" if they can't even agree on that

i was pretty shocked learning that USRSA focus on tennis. in a way it means that the china programme which is quite balanced between badminton and tennis, which claims that their authority comes from the USRSA is a some kind of fraud

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am not. if you look at the volume, i would not be surprised that nationwide in the US, the ratio of tennis to badminton stringing is probably in the magnitude of 100:1

and probably the reverse in China and HK.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My UKRSA course lasted two days; we spent five minutes on badminton.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

My stringer tells me he prefers to string tennis rackets more than badminton. For 2 reasons: it's easier and faster due to less holes and thicker string, and he can charge more. ;)

16. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I find quite the opposite! Some tennis strings are so stiff they're impossible to weave! hehe

17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Just out of curiosity, what did they actually cover in those few minutes? :confused:
    If all they had to say was, "It's the same but smaller," then that's more insulting than informative.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree. i have strung a handful of tennis rackets. ppl these days seems to be really into polys. ouch.

19. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

I did tried his service twice. The first one is on Apacs Lethal 10 (27lbs Apacs Elite string) and the second is 26lbs BG66UM on Kason C7.. both string are really great and even I usually strung my rackets by myself, the quality is more better than me. I wished I can learn with him. But the distance is too far from my places.

Btw, Yonex.co.jp did mention him as official stringer for Yonex.... :)

20. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Hmm, that isn't too encouraging. I have been considering going to one for the last couple of years (kept forgetting until it was too late) maybe i shan't bother now.