Yonex BG AeroBite

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by BengGuan, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    You are welcome. No need to learn, go out and play. ;)

Saru, llrr and speCulatius like this.
  2. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Actually I am not sure PS makes a difference at all @10%PS. Let me explain. I use a WISE and 10%PS @13.5kg(30lbs). Strings used are BG80, No.1 and Aerobite. And to be honest I almost never hear the motor dropping tension (like once for each racket done). The display shows what you would expect: string is pulled to 14.8 kg and then the tension drops to 13.5 kg, however without the tensionhead moving (in any direction). So it seems like the PS only compensates the immediate tensionloss. Can anyone explain if this is normal? @rbynck maybe?

#222 Mr Arc2, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  3. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I usually go for 15%, but I also get this effect at lower tensions on thicker strings. I find that properly clamping and tensioning the string prior to the PS pull also has an effect.
    Overall it does effect the string as using PS will result in the motor doing less extra pulls after hitting the desired tension, whereas it keeps pulling when not PS'd :)

EDIT: However Arc2 make sure you clamp as close to the frame as possible and that there is no slippage, as I don't personally think the motor should be doing that @ 13,5kg even with "only" 10%PS :/

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Since we're on the BGAB thread about PS, I wonder has anyone been consistently using AB with PS? One issue I had when I tried this string was how fast the tension dropped from literally not playing with the racquet.

5. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I always PS Aerobite, when I string it. Even then it drops quicker than others, however I find that Aerosonic does the same, so that could be the culprit :/

6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    The motor don't need go back, I just have the impression it shatter less on some strings and you are right it's not that the motor drops and exactly how you describe. Do you use it on the crosses (as to maintain the shape and to overcome friction) or even on mains? I used it on both in the past and found it especially for BG80 past 30, that the PS killed the string.

7. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Exactly my findings. I always use PS. Aerosonic loses tension a little faster than Aerobite.

I use 10% PS for the mains and crosses. Even then it helps a lot with overcoming the friction on the crosses. I havent strung bg80 above 30 often enough (mostly 12,5-13 kg) to really have a strong opinion on the PS-issue. I did see a really big difference repulsion-wise between bg80 and AB when I switched a month ago, which could be normal.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Is there any thread concerning the experiences with pre-stretching in general? Would be interesting to hear more opinions on that, also with different strings.

Feel wise, I am with @ucantseeme in that regard, also with LN1 string - it feels more lively without PS. If I compare the ping frequencies, I see that if I use 10% PS, but keep everything else the same, the pings are consistently about 20 Hz higher with 10% PS. My theory is that when you tension the crosses, there is quite a lot of friction with the main strings involved. That friction causes a fair amount of the extra tension from the pre-stretching phase to stay on the string instead of going back to base tension completely. So in fact, it would come down to the idea that PS is somehow comparable to adding extra tension on the crosses and therefor resulting in an overall tighter stringbed. Which then will automatically also result in relatively higher tension after a certain period of time (aka less tension loss).

For soft strings like BG65, I also use 10% PS simply to make the tension loss on the racket a tad less horrible. Still I think that doing a manual pre-stretch before even going on the machine could have the same or even more effect. In the end, it's just another piece in the puzzle that is defining the specific style of a stringer and why switching between several stringers will always result in noticeably different results when it comes to the feel of the job. And again, different players have different preferences how their perfect job is supposed to feel.

ucantseeme likes this.
  9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I found out that different strings die off at different tensions and had a different area of peak performance for me. For me the repulsion of BG80 goes down past 30, while BG80 power, ZM62 or LN No.1 can be pulled a bit further until they die for me and their repulsion goes down

The last few months I experimented on my own rackets and changed my ratio. I was used to 1lbs on the cross for years. I changed to 2lbs on cross, which means I knocked off 2lbs of my cross string instead of one for the mains. The frequency went around 15-20Hz down, which is what I have awaited due slightly lower tension on the mains. Shape-wise the racket was by a small margin (maybe 1mm) more narrow. Nothing to scare or see, my 6-point setup is rocksolid. Playwise the 2lbs were horrible, not lively, less powerful on overhead shots. Last week I changed to 1lbs again and could hammer the shuttle down and clear out like nothing.

@s_mair made good and valid points, that the machine PS can effect the ratio and gave me a different impression. Great thoughts!

I also had a period a few years ago where I went to manual PS because of @Mark A talked about it. I also had the same effect that the string didn't played as lively, like without. IMO we are too much afraid of tension-loss and are too fixed on pings. I had a time when I restrung weekly or even every few days because of the affect of the stringbed due tension-loss based on numbers.

All in all, for me it don't make a difference if I had a ping of 1240 after 2 week, 1260 after 2 weeks or 1220 after 2 weeks. I have cut strings at different pings, because they didn't felt crisp. Lowest was the normal job, but it was the one which played fresh the best and most lively for the longest time. For me it turned out with the best performance at the beginning and the best 2 weeks sensation. Other will feel different on different strings with different stringing technique and setup. For me PS didn't brought any benefits on court just different numbers, but everybody may feel different.

A thread would be a great idea. :)

#229 ucantseeme, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Summoning @kwun or @Cheung.... any chance of copying the last couple of posts into a separate "Pre-Stretch"-thread in the stringing techniques section? Would be awesome! :)

Saru and ucantseeme like this.
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    done. ;)

Saru and s_mair like this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Great, thanks a lot! :)
    Any chance to maybe also add the posts startig at #216? That would add a bit of a storyline and foundation to the thread.

13. Astrox88SS

Astrox88SS Regular Member

Aerobite vs Ashaway Zymax 62 Fire

thoughts?

14. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Never used zymax strings but the big problem with aerobite is the aerosonic crosses cutting into the grommets. I've actually stopped using this string because at high tensions it's just not worth the risk.

ucantseeme and Astrox88SS like this.
  15. Astrox88SS

ok thanks for this info

16. Astrox88SS

Attached Files:

#236 Astrox88SS, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  17. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

18. magicaluni123

magicaluni123 Regular Member

So Pre-Stretching just makes tension retention better? There must be some change in feel right? Does it make a string more soft or less crsip?? Or other way around?

19. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    I'm about to string AB for the first time.
    Usually I do a one piece pattern with square tension.
    Since this is a hybrid string I'll go for regular Yonex pattern.
    The question is, should I add some tension to the crosses because of the thinner string (+1 or 2 lbs)?

20. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I‘d do square tension as well if it works with your machine.

endFX likes this.