Yonex BG 66 Ultimax

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Badominton, Sep 19, 2010.

1. ryukku

ryukku Regular Member

Technical Support
    Haha.. "belum try belum tau, sudah try, tiap tiap hari mahu"Ok will cut my um66 later and try 66s tonight.

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

As usual, YMMV.

I've switched almost entirely to the BG66UM since Feb. So far, I have 2 TC700 @27lbs (late Feb), 1 mx80 @27lbs (mid Mar), and 1 US700 @29lbs (May). The only other racket is another trusty tc700 with BG66M again @27lbs (mid Mar). The string on the mx80 finally snapped due to a mishit just 2+weeks back giving it a service life of over 4 months. The two tc700 are still going strong mainly because I alternate between them. The 66M is reserved for very serious games and competitions.

While there is definitely some tension drop in the first month of stringing, I do not feel the drop is that significant with the 66UM. BG80 has a more significant fall in tension (from memory) and even then, not that bad. For the price of the string (same as BG80 here), the usability and durability of the 66UM works out very well for me.

btw, the 66um are all strung using ECP albeit by different stringers with their own strings in namely, Singapore (sgbad), Malaysia (Racketworld) and Taiwan (Song Shan). All are very experience stringers I used before except Racketworld who turned out to be great too.

3. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    I like the BG66UM with 12Kg on my Rackets! Plays nearly the same to NBG 98 great repulsion and so on but a bit more control every shot and espacially on the net. Durability around 3-4weeks is ok for me. Otherwise i will cut it after 5weeks because of the loosing tension and the string fells numb and stump.

4. ryukku

ryukku Regular Member

Technical Support
    yeah and its all depending on the way u play, i played mostly soft games.. could hardly do killing-smash but the tension still drop after 5-6 games.. the higher u strung the faster it drops.. but i still cut if every 10-12games.. argh this is gonna cost me alot to maintain that feeling.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

FYI, string up the BG66UM with ECP machine. The tension will last much longer and the string will break by the time tension drop too low.

6. thejym

thejym Regular Member

BG66UM is a great string. The only downside is that it usually only lasts for 10-12 hours of play for me (29x31.5lbs). Interestingly, I ALWAYS break the 10th or 11th cross from the top, dead center. I don't recall every breaking a main before.

For the first few hours, the string feels amazing. As it starts to fray, however, the tension drops and the string starts to feel a bit dead. Let's assume that around the 8th or 9th hour of play, the tension has dropped from ~30lbs to ~28lbs. I've had my racket strung at 28lbs fresh and it feels much better than playing with a slightly frayed string that was initially strung at a higher tension. I wonder if this is simply an error in perception.. have any of you experienced this before?

7. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

yes I know how you feel when you first play with it
    It is amazing but after the tension goes it is really dull

8. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Yup. I also think it matters whether or not the strings have bitten into each other (i.e. if the outer coating is slightly worn). The feel is different after the strings have started notching into each other.

9. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro,
    this is so call string dead..
    string would gradually degrade when u force them exceeding 24 lbs...
    the string curve shows...the 1st 24hrs its drop by 2lbs and this further drop every 1 lbs for every week...until its stop at 24lbs and awaiting to be snap off !
    this string is design in such a ways n no plan to improve them bcoz the sales generate from this string alone already taking the profit of 70% from all other string models...
    this string was producing like hell in their production lines.
    that way for me, i like it once then i hate them since then, now moving to other string which gave me more feel...

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Very impressive figures. Perhaps you can drop a note about your sources, or are you the CFO of Yonex?

11. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

One string out of more than 10 strings that YY made is taking 70% of profit. Your math must be out from the space. What happens if you string it less than 24lbs and it will never die according to your math.

12. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro,
    1)for simple calculation, walk into any baddy shop and ask which string is the most sellable and how much volume is allocate for stock taking from yonex distributor.
    2)string less than 24lbs would not have the senario of string dead which degrade aggresively.
    Maintain ur tension at 24lbs or below will only subject to normal degardation curve.
    that why there rule of thumb that to restring your string every 3 mths to gain optimum performance.
    i still follow them until today.
    4)i cant disclose the source of information but you may want to consider them in mind. If its not logic to u then its dont apply to you.
    its just my sharing from source and many ppl i walk in my life.

13. xenonoptics

xenonoptics New Member

where can i get low price bg-66 ultimax at a lower price I plan to get atleast 20 to 50 strings. Like wholesale price in hong kong or singapore..... any idea how much and where?

14. hop-step

hop-step Regular Member

Is it me or the 66 ultimax getting soft after 2 weeks of play? and it's about 2/3 times a week. Tension is about 26/27 lbs on Zslash/MX80. It's stiff initially then just right and then...hmmm it's getting soft.

15. kkwm83

kkwm83 Regular Member

Part time online badminton products seller
    That's the same as what I experienced using 66 Ultimax.
    The tension drops faster than any other strings I have used.

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Including bg 65 also?

17. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

What is getting soft? Blue pill might help?

18. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Yes, from my experience with both these two strings including BG66 Maxima, initially strung at 33lbs ECP. Right now, the BG65 is at 32lbs and still feels adequately crisp and usable for all shots while the other two are starting to feel very soft on hard, powerful shots. I am guessing the tension left in the other two is at about 31lbs.

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    wow. you guys must be professional to go beyond 24lbs and face dead strings. The string should have been snapped with your power before it goes a month. Or is it your stringing machine is super low tension? lol.

I like that blue pill thingy. ;)

You can get it for $9sgd excluding postage. ;)

20. hop-step

hop-step Regular Member

It's tension and lbs so it's obvious. Anyone change back to NBG 98 or other strings after using BG66 Ultimax for around 6 months ? I like players with long term testing not just honeymoon time test since it's too short. Yes I can break the string if smashing alot but the games dictating that. It's not just for breaking strings. Thanks for the input.

and about tension over 24 lbs, just increase 1 lbs at time for me until the equilibrium point, not trying to be macho, tough guy or anything. It's the same approach for my tennis string tension.