YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Sheesh...

2. phorge

phorge Regular Member

This thread would be a lot different if Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei came out and played with this racket.

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Because they can magically explain away the horrendous QC on release that neither the ZF, ZFII nor LDF had?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

4. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Nah @Ch1k0, you got it totally wrong. The AX99 is close Myth of Mjölnir and Excalibur. Some pick it up and feel it's heavyness, other can swing it like a FB. It's not a QC issue, it's magic.

5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Like the elevator. It is not worthy.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I believe LCW was supposed to use it and advertise it... but then he got sick. So that left only Momota.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Now that is very unusual for Yonex because they have very good QC in the past according to my past measurements, unlike Victor.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

8. Adi Tariono

Adi Tariono Regular Member

hello,

did anyone that already buy AX 99 4U that have sinking problem at 4 -5 o'clock and 7-8 o'clock grommet?

Because my AX99 starting to have sign this, so I adding continous grommet.

thanks
    AX99 1.jpg AX99 2.jpg

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I can't say I'm in any way, shape, or form surprised at all. Look at how pathetic the grommets are on that side of the frame. They're clearly arcsaber grommets and those can't even take 28lbs reliably on that soft frame.

10. konww002

konww002 Regular Member

Just discussed this matter with Chong Wei’s personal stringer, Long Dragon. He mentioned that the racquet was likely to be strung more than once. The grommets were not twisted to allow new strings to settle on the new areas of the grommets. Thus, causing the caving effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What the hell... at which tension did you run it?

Great picture by the way - you can clearly see the root cause of the issue if you zoom in a bit. The frame seems to consist of a pretty thin outer layer which is then filled with lots of other material (which one would be the NAMD? :rolleyes:). First of all, the outer layer seem to be quite soft and secondly, if there is just a tiny gap between both layers, there is a big chance that the outer layer can't widthstand the load and caves in:
    Unbenannt.JPG

And the poor grommets used then add their part to the whole misery. If you ask me, that has been an overly rushed release with a product that has not been fully developed and tested sufficiently.

Mate, don't let anyone shift the blame for supposedly poor engineering on the customer. Turning the grommets after every single string job only to keep a 200$ racket alive? Yeah, right. Maybe at LCW-like tensions (which clearly exceed the warrantied max tensions anyways), but as long as you stay within the warrantied limits, there is no way that turning gromets is part of a mandatory maintenance routine.

#891 s_mair, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    ucantseeme likes this.
  12. Adi Tariono

13. Adi Tariono

well I think Yonex 4U is still Yonex 4U after all.hehehe.
    even they state can handle max 28 Lbs.

konww002 likes this.
  14. Manong

Manong Regular Member

MIS Engineer
    Hi I currently use 3ug4 Arc8dx for 5years (coming from MusclePower88 3ug4 which is so damn heavy XD) and I'm trying to find an upgrade for it. I am trying to find a racket that has more head weight than Arc8dx, I think I can compensate for lesser stiff shaft but would not like med flex shaft. Would it be wiser to pick Astrox88d or TK9000 rather than Astrox99? or 4u 99 is way to go?

My fear is that I read some reviews says that astrox99 has 'more' flexible shaft than 88d, if I'm coming from extra stiff racket arc8dx I would need a lot of adjustments right? If compared to 88d which is stiffer. My main reason for upgrading racket is I feel shoulder pain now and I think its because of my extra stiff racket, or maybe I'm a little bit out of shape now :(

Thanks!

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Glad to see that you take it with a huge sense of humour. If that was my racket, I would be fuming that I had dumped that much money on a fricking Titanic.

ucantseeme likes this.
  16. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I don't think it's a pure grommet issue. Honestly these are poor grommets which can be a part of this dilemma, on the other hand: Take a look at the whole hole. The grommet shape is fully puncheld around the hole, instead just of the area where the strings runs, which indicates a weakness of the frame as well. What tension and string did you use?

Great observation from @s_mair. My JS10s which sunk also had some space in the layers where they started to sink. IMO a sloppy molding. Maybe they rushed up the production, which would also explained the variances of the AX99.

17. dtjovan

dtjovan Regular Member

I'm with 28lbs now. I'll share with everyone if I encounter sinking frame issue on my next restring.

Btw, do anyone realised that the smashing sound effect of AX99 isnt as loud as your other racket if it is the same string model, same lbs and same stringer?
    For e.g. my n7ii smash sound is much more thunderous but with AX99 (4u), it is so much softer. (n7ii string, stringer and lbs is the same)
    I cant seem to get it from AX99.

#897 dtjovan, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    LinHalu likes this.
  18. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

bro. whr did u get continuous grommets and what are they, also wht can they do?

19. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Tested my friend's 3u today. If anyone has played with the ZF2, this feels like the true successor to it. Very stable racket. If you haven't played with a ZF2, the swing weight will shock you, but if you're used to the ZF2, this is an upgrade.

20. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

ill be getting 3UG5 AX99 tomorrow, ill check.

I am using 26lbs (25/27 + prestretch 5% for both main and cross) (string: BG66F), will get back to u once i finish testing to see if i also hv this problem.

As both AX99 and AX55 is made of "full body Namd" as claimed by Yonex, maybe we could also see the AX55 if it has this problem?