YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Micael

Micael Regular Member

Not sure if your talking about the 88S or D but I would say it all comes down to what you’re looking for in your Astrox 88 and what’s your playstyle. If you want more punch go 3U if you want more speed go 4U.
    4U is a bit more forgiving and easy to use and quick at the net but 3U is still really fast, would pack a bit more punch and would give you more if you want to use it as a backcourt player. Also you said you are a tall big dude so I would be sure you can wield a 3U. The 3U 88S is no where close to being slow as something like a 3U ZF2 so don’t worry about that.
    But even then, they both rock. I’m coming from a 4U JS10 so went 4U 88S and I feel like it’s nearly as fast if not faster (in my dreams) as my JS10 but still packs a punch. Had loads of fun smashing rockets during my games tonight.
    And as Chiko had said on an earlier post when we talk about international players, really doubt they would be using 4U. With how many hours they spend training I’m sure they all master 3U and heavier :p

#1461 Micael, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Micael

Micael Regular Member

To me coming from a JS10 I would say I feel more precision with my JS10 with net play but feel like the 88S’s extra holding time helps control it better on overhead shots and lifts. I don’t know if I’m crazy but that’s how I feel it

Leonline likes this.
  3. jickman

jickman Regular Member

student
    88D, I am more a back court player. I’m just wonder relative to head heaviness. If it’s HH like the big shot one like zf2 and vt80e. If it’s really HH then I rather go 4u.

I went zstrike at first it was good to use but once I went with duora 10 again, I really like it and can still pack a good punch on my smash.

4. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

The head heaviness of the 88d is definitely no where near zf2. If the duora 10 is serving you well, you don't really need to change it unless you're trying to explore new racquets or there is something you found that you don't like about the duora 10.

I have a 3u 88d. And though it is not like js10 fast, it is still a very fast racquet, and very maneuverable. Even though the 88d is marketed as a racquet that can dominate with power, I still feel that the 88d, like the 88s, is more about the control and quality of the shots that it can produce and not all about raw power. Either way, the 3u or 4u, whichever one you pick, will be a very good racquet.

5. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Kon - I am not sure if you have played with Duora10 , it will be great if you can provide some statists comparison of 3U 88d with Duora10 or DZS .. If not please give us comparison with N 9II ..

6. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Yes, I've played with Duora 10, and for quite a while. I still have my duora 10 LCW edition . But since changing to the js10, and then to the n9ii, I've not touched my duora 10 for more than a year now. As for the dzstrike, sadly i don't own one, I've only played with one of my friends', and not for many hours. I could try to dig up my duora 10, and play with it again to try to give a comparison with the 88d. But I'm definitely going to give a comparison with my n9ii and the 88d, I just wanted to spend a little more time with it first .

#1466 Konquerian, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  7. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

I thought you guys might find this review helpful.

No idea which of the 3 Astroxs I'm going to get.

badmintony and Dhandapani like this.
  8. Jozsef Halmi

Jozsef Halmi New Member

Yesterday I had the chance to try the Astrox 88S for the first time.

I've been curious about this racket for a long time, now the local badminton shop offered a test racket and I've decided to give it a try just to shut my interest and NOT TO buy a new racket.. (I usually don't really like the top-end rackets)

Do I need to say that I've ordered one today? For me, the 88S is in a different league than the 77, which I did not like when I tried. I've got the feeling that this racket also shines in the hands of a less experienced player (like me).

9. Praj

Praj Regular Member

Onigiri has more flex for sure. 88s plays quite stiff on court. Precision against JS10 is on par, except 88s have more oooomph! Dont think anything can be as fast as the JS10 but 88s is not far behind.

Leonline likes this.
  10. Mmody

Mmody New Member

Hi! You tested 88S 3U OR 4U?

11. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

Interesting, I've read a lot that the 77 was a very easy racket to use especially since it has a less stiff shaft.

12. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Sweet.

After so much waiting after that horrific stringing misadventure, AX88S is finally all set and ready to go for Friday's game!:)
    First impression on the shop I went to is good so far, they look professional although my first time to use them. Stringing job looks ok, no string misweaves or scratches or chips on the racket's paint job. Hopefully they would be my go-to shop for my badminton needs. They have an electronic RSL machine and some spare grommets (especially the U-grommet).

But on other news, my BG66UM light green freshly strung at 27 on a Li-ning racket snapped while in the case very early this morning. Second time such an incident happened to me. I went to the toilet to relieve myself and was back in bed and barely asleep when I
    heard something snapped in the case. My racket is hung just beside my bed and it was kind of loud enough "tick" sound. When I opened the case I saw it was the string on the right after the center one that snapped. How long can a racket frame withstand the pressure of a broken string if let's say it was strung at 27lbs? Sometimes I worry that some of my racket's string might snap while i'm not at home.

AX2.jpg

AX1.jpg

13. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

Can you compare the 88s with the 77 more?
    -You mentioned that you felt that there was a lack of power with the 88s, was this applicable to your 77?
    -Did you find the control of the 88s a lot better than your 77?
    -You mentioned you're likely not going to use the 77 again, what was major reasoning for that?

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, just trying to decide which one I want myself.

14. Haters_Gonna_H8

Haters_Gonna_H8 Regular Member

i have my vtldf strung with BG66UM. played with the racket at least 3 times a week, 2 hours each session. the string lasted for about 2 months.

15. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Yea, I've used 66UM for quite sometime already myself and never had any issue about its durability. It was just kind of a mystery to me why it happened like that on my latest one. Must be just one of those glitchy situation where string QC is not at its best I suppose.

16. Haters_Gonna_H8

Haters_Gonna_H8 Regular Member

yeah. it happens. maybe due to QC or stringer

17. Praj

Praj Regular Member

from the back of the court I found 88s and 77 to be on fairly equal terms for power, neither have devastating power but are powerful and accurate enough to cause opponents problems. It also depends on how naturally strong your smash is. My smash is ok so i wasnt expecting these two rackets to totally transform me. However, the 88s feels more accurate from the back, the stiffer shaft probably helps with that.

Control of the 88s is better than 77, much better in fact. This is how i felt anyway. Taking nothing away from the 77, it is still a great racket and was my favourite before i tried the 88s.

Reason for not using the 77 anymore is because i have an 88s! ha. Jokes aside the 77 is a wicked racket overall, but the 88s just goes one level above. For me the biggest difference between these two is the speed through the air the 88s carries.

Kokai likes this.
  18. Jozsef Halmi

Jozsef Halmi New Member

I've tested the 4U models of both the 77 and 88S, since in my country only 4U is available.
    It can be just me, but I felt that the 77 is less tolerant than the 88S. There should be definitely something with the flex points.

19. the_cutter

the_cutter Regular Member

I have both 77 and 88s in 4U. I feel that the 88S gives me decent power and more control than the 77. To be fair, the 77 is strung with BG66UM while the 88S is strung with Aerosonic, both at 25/27 lbs. I'm currently impressed by the Aerosonic's repulsion, so it could be a factor. Will have the 77 restrung with AS soon so that any comparison would apples to apples.

20. kulidone

kulidone Regular Member

Hey guys, I am currently testing 88S and 88D both in 4U since I am from Europe. Both rackets have NBG 99 strings (it wasnt my choice, bcs I borrowed them from Yonex) with unknown tension. My main racket is Arc Z-Slash. Playing mostly singles in low league and doubles in amateur tournaments. I got a few question regarding both rackets especially for those who got 3U versions since I am thinking about to buy a 3U version one of those (or both :D) from Asia.

88S 4U
    Well I tried the racket in singles and doubles as well. Imo in singles it was pretty useless. Control and the wrist smash was amazing (of course speed and defense), but apart from that it was too light for me since I was using ArcZS 3U. The racket suits in doubles tho for those who doesnt expect a good smash or maybe for beginners in singles (lol) since is easy to use, but yea with no smash.

88D 4U
    Overall I kinda like this racket. Although its a 4U version since its more HH than my ArcZS when moved around it felt like it was the same weight, but when I did full swing with my ArcZS and 88D.... I felt ArcZS to be more heavy.

If I had to choose from these 2... I would choose the 88D 4U for those who plays singles and doubles as well.

Now what I want to ask you guys since I am thinking about 3U versions how different are the 88S (4U) and 88D (4U) vs 3U versions. I read all the 74 pages of this thread even foo.tw comparison, but I still want more info.

Do you guys think that 88S 3U would be good for me for someone who used ArcZS before and expecting bit more smash power? or do you think that 88D 3U is the right choice? I am kinda afraid of to not have enough stamina for 88D 3U.

It really sucks since I cant test 3U versions in Europe and I dont have the money to buy them and sell them for cheaper price in case I dont like them.