Yonex Astrox 77 - too slow?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by TonyCAN, Dec 24, 2020.

1. TonyCAN

TonyCAN New Member

Hi Everyone!

I'm new in the badminton world but I think I already have an intermediate level. I'm used to play for a very long time to different racquet sport like table tennis, tennis and I recently started playing seriously badminton and I love it a lot.

I just bought a Yonex Astrox 77 and the seller advice me Yonex SkyArc as string. I love the racquet, it's really lightweight but I have absolutely not enough power with it, I really want to have more power.

Do you think I need a more offensive racquet or the string I chose is pretty bad for an offensive playing style?
    I don't know if the string can do a big difference or not?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Tony

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

You recently started badminton. You have a powerful, but not extremely punishing racket. You're lacking power.

Get a coach.

It's not the racket, especially not if it's an AX77. Technique brings power. To properly learn technique, a coach is the best option. Get a coach. There'll be questions about your string tension coming. Ignore those and learn the basics properly.

3. TonyCAN

TonyCAN New Member

Thanks for your answer! It's also in my plan to get a coach too.
    Thanks for your reply. It's in my plan to get a coach but I'm sure I really need a bit more power. I tried other racquets from my friends and I was able to put more power and my shots was really better. I'm not sure AX77 is a powerful racquet?

4. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

There are so many factors that can give a different feeling to your shots. Racket, grip, string, tension, shuttle, temperature, humidity, sports hall, having a bad day. It's too much to immediately determine the exact cause of why a shot feels better or worse. It can be an expensive waste of money to get another racket only to find the cause was something else, or that a different string job would have turned the AX77 into your favorite racket.

I'm 60 kg and play with a 6u (lightweight) racket. When other players try my racket many will tell me I'm crazy and how could I ever generate power with something so light!? Those same players will desperately avoid lifting in fear of my smash, while being absolutely fine with lifting to my partner who is taller, with far more imposing shoulders and weighs in at somewhere around 80 kg.

And while I'm writing this reply feeling proud of my smash, there are hundreds of world class players who can pick up any racket with any string and put my best smash to shame.

It really isn't the racket. It isn't the string. Equipment is what players experiment with when they have already practiced their shots to the point where they have plenty of power and control. They will be looking to squeeze out an extra 3%. They are looking to go from something that feels good to something that feels great to something that feels amazing. Trying new equipment to change something about your shots you're not happy with is a distraction.

When you are not satisfied with your shots or how they feel, then changing equipment won't make them feel good or make them better. Technique is the cause of shot quality and power. So when shot quality and power are lacking, technique is the cause and nothing else will make a difference.

If you have not been coached before then it could be as simple as one small correction from a coach to improve your shots to an extent that no collection of high end yonex rackets ever could.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The only thing that you carried from other sport is no more than fitness & reflex, the rest will be new pattern that need to be learned. So get a coach, unlock the basic skill, try many friend racket.
    After maybe 1 year, then start looking for new racket. Your today racket is fine for your early training, considering you had many other sport background.

6. TonyCAN

TonyCAN New Member

Thank you all!

7. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Apart from technique, footwork is very important. Get the basics properly with the help of coach.. badminton is fast sport where the injury is also fast!! With good proper basics u can play for many years without injuries.

In which shuttle do u play? Plastic or feather? Indoor or outdoor? If plastic then ur already playing with faster shuttle.. but which one u choose? Mavis 350 comes close to feather flight but beware that plastic shuttle have fake ones. I have has similar experience as well. The indoor fake mavis 350 just won’t go!! It would be too slow sometimes. I have wasted a box full many times. A good Shuttle makes a world of difference..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Advanced/professional rackets are usually very stiff, has lesser sweet spot. And most professional players maintain very high string tension (about 30lbs). It works beautifully, when u have very high swing speed & timing to hit the sweet spot again and again.

Downside is, this setting is very unforgiving. Any mistimed or off center shot will not be effective at all. Also you loose the sling shot/ whippy effect compared to flexible rackets.

For beginners & intermediates, better to go for a medium flex even balanced racket with 22 lbs tension. Upgrade your racket as you upgrade your skills.

NB: The best player known to me plays with a $15 racket. My group have tried even the most expensive rackets and shoes-still not able to beat him yet. The difference was, he was trained and was practicing with national ranked players.

9. Sainttoo

Sainttoo Regular Member

Basic answer for your question is ax77 is powerful enough racket, but people have different techniques that make them utilize different kind of rackets more efficiently. You may spend more time with the racket to adjust yourself. Also, yes string makes difference. Dont go too high tension. Since you are fairly new, I would suggest staying under 24lbs or lower. Kind of string may give you different feel, but I doubt that you may feel it because of your current level. If you want, try bg66ultimax around 22-24lbs. Hope this helps!

10. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

As mentioned by others AX77 is a powerful racket. I've also used it before and I would say it's smooth and powerful racket with good feedback and by no means a slow racket either. I would personality categorize it as an offensive racket. This racket also has a medium flex which is more accessible to beginner/intermediate players. So if you can't get a good smash, then it could be many factors: not enough time playing with it, the racket is too stiff for you, your string tension is too high or your technique is lacking.

You also mentioned getting more power from your friends racket, ask what string/tension they are using, ask what racket they are using etc. Maybe they have a certain racket/string/tension combo that works better for you.

11. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

AX 77 is a power racket, it's probably in the top 5% in power among Yonex's current rackets, and was used by Gideon, backcourt player for the world's number 1 Men's doubles pair. So the racket is definitely not a problem - if you feel like the string is a problem go for the BG 80 because I heard Skyarc is quite a dull feeling string, maybe that's why the racket feels powerless. In fact, if you don't like how the racket feels, instead of selling the racket, I always tell people to try different strings on it, because it completely changes the playability of the racket. An Astrox 77 with BG80 is a very hard hitting racket, I suggest you don't go much head heavier than that unless you're planning on playing singles. Something stiffer might be okay, but you'd already be pushing it - even for advanced level back court players, Astrox 77 or 88D is on the extreme side of head heaviness, they're already sacrificing a lot of speed for power.

12. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

The string should not do that much, unless you have a lot of experience. Most newer players wont feel any difference between Skyarc, BG80 or BG65Ti. Tension makes more of a difference, as this could also sound like you have a bit too much tension for the technical level you are at.
    The AX77 should be able to generate plenty of power, I had one which I replaced with the AX88s (As i preferred a more stiff racket), I sold it to an 80-year old player in my club who has no problem generation power with it.

So give it a bit more time, and don't change until you really know what to change to (otherwise you are wasting your money)

13. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

Wanted to chime in here about the strings - I saw the skyarc for sale and since it was new, I wanted to give it a shot. It is hands down, worst freaking strings ever. I couldn't believe it was so expensive for something that feels like I'm whacking a banana. While everyone is saying that your technique is important, I couldn't agree more, but do change your strings. If you want power, go with bg66 force and I guarantee you'll get more power.