Yonex Astrox 100ZZ

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Junye, Dec 18, 2019.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

A heavier swing weight for me usually means the racket can produce a bit more effortless power, AS LONG AS the person playing the racket is strong enough to give it enough swing speed. For instance, if you're trying to play badminton with a 150g training racket, even if it's heavy it won't hit as hard as a 90g arc11 because you likely won't be able to generate enough swing speed for the training racket. But as long as you are above that threshold for strength, it's good. So I guess you could say the 88s will hit more effortlessly in terms of clears, smashes.

It does not necessarily mean it has a higher power ceiling than something with a lower swing weight, because in that case shaft stiffness has to come into play as well, and the 100zz does seem stiffer than the 88s, which means the 100zz could still have a higher power ceiling, despite swing weights. But honestly based on the stiffness of the 88s and 100zz i think only players who can swing as hard as professional male players would be able to reach anywhere near the ceiling, so it may be a moot point for most buyers, in which case the swing weight is still the more reliable number to see a racket's power.

So in conclusion: yes, the 88s will probably hit harder for most people than 100zz, unless the 100zz does actually have some difference-making technologies. In which case you need to wait for racket reviews.

#561 ChocoChipWaffle, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Quentin11 and LenaicM like this.
  2. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeps that's why i mentioned the racket itself / being swung by a machine.

Obviously the human element will change things.

I'm not too sure about how the swing weight measurement is done. Does it also take into consideration the flex of the racket? How is it done?

3. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

It's a weight test i don't see stiffness coming into play at all but obviously I can't say for sure.

#563 seanc6441, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  4. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    There's a thread on this in one of the sections actually. Perhaps you'd like to go dig around and take a look? I would link you but for my life I can't recall which sub-forum it is in at all

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

5. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Lead tapes are sarcasm dude just because u have 100+ grams racket!!
    Pls do not use such heavy racket with shoulder problems. There are only few here who does comment sensibly and ur one among them.. so keep playing and avoid dangerous weapons which have impact to ur shoulders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeah it is just a measurement ... i imagined something completely different in my head lol xD

7. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    What did you imagine? o.o

8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

The racket being swung onto something and the impact is measured or something lol

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    LOL oh my. No no no. We do not approve of destructive testing here

Quentin11 likes this.
  10. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

That's I found it quite bizarre lol. Sorry about that xD

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    no worries. Sometimes you just have to ignore us when we babble about numbers.

12. steven8991

steven8991 Regular Member

Is 3U Astrox 100ZZ has easier power access than Duora 10?

13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Depends on your ability. But if you want easy effortless power the Duora10 is still better for it because you can get a faster swing speed all things equal.

14. steven8991

I think only my smash is lacking from using Duora10, should I go with a racket with faster swing speed or slower swing speed than D10?

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Take no offence but perhaps have you ever tried working on your end instead of the equipment? Just that more often than not most of us really aren't getting the maximum out of the high end equipment we actually use (myself included). Sometimes the biggest difference in power can come from improving your physical ability and just being that bit more accurate on your contact point in the sweetspot.

16. steven8991

yup, I am a gym freak (workout 6 times a week) so I believe my physical ability is enough.
    Just want to know from the racket specification perspective, can I get better smash using a faster or slower swing speed racket?

17. ChocoChipWaffle

if all you're missing is the smash, you can also try lowering your string tension by 1lb, if not more

18. ChocoChipWaffle

technically it sounds like you need one with a slower swing speed, because if all your other shots are good, i'm guessing your backhand power strokes are fine, which is usually the biggest victim to getting rackets with slower swing speeds or overly stiff shafts. That means all you're missing might be a head heavier racket, or a slower swing speed racket

19. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Hmmm that's highly personal then IMO. Have you ever tried something with a box frame? If yes how did that go? Because if we simplify things then the theory is quite simple. If you can accelerate a slow swing speed racket (e.g. boxy frame like a Thruster K or oval power frames like a Voltric) to the same swing speed as high swing speed frame (e.g. Nanoray or Brave Sword), then you should be able to get a higher output in power.

But herein lies the problem with that I just said above. It's become over simplification because things that generally go into generating power from a racket are your physical ability, your skill and refinement of technique, hitting accuracy on your sweetspot, whether your biomechanics and swing are actually synergised with the way the racket is designed to perform.

Just as an example I knew a guy who has a similarity to you, he's a gym rat but not the crazy iron pump type. So he's got a great physique and he works on the muscle groups related to the sport quite regularly too. He's a far better player than I am both in skill and technique. So you could give him any racket and he could use it. But he personally favours the ARC11. Why you may ask? Wouldn't he favour say a ZFII or AX99 since he does have the ability to use them? What happened was that he did give the ZFII a go. Didn't work out for him at all. If anything it was reducing his level of play because the racket just didn't fit his swing style and biomechanics. Switched back to an ARC11 and he started raining bombs again.

P.S. I think waffle has a good point. You could try lower your tension by a pound. That sometimes actually works wonders to give a bit more bite. Otherwise assuming all your other departments are perfectly fine with the DUO10. You could actually give something a bit more boxy a try (an Astrox 88S for example).

visor likes this.
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Or an 88D... both these rackets are popular with many pro players, male and female included, for good reason.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk