Yonex Astroc 100ZZ vs 88D (3U)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Syed R, May 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Syed R

Syed R Regular Member

can someone please review the difference between these two rackets? as much detail as possible? Please.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Spec wise (didnt own both)

-different frame shape. AX88D had common frame shape with flex point in the 3 & 9 o clock on the frame. AX100ZZ had new iso frame shape.

- AX100ZZ stiffer than 88D

- AX100ZZ had less head heavyness compare to 88D, but new color 3U 88D also had less weight.

There are huge discussion on 88D & 100ZZ.
    Read it all from start to the end & you might get a glimps of picture of how it perform.

Father Parrot likes this.
  3. Syed R

Syed R Regular Member

i did read the "Yonex Astrox 100" about 750 posts. There are only a couple of mentions there 100zz vs 88D. Some said 100zz felt less head heavy. some said 100zz have more punch than 88D. But I am hoping a full review. someone who tried both rackets. also some people forgot to mention did they compare 4U or 3U. it makes a lot of difference. I am just looking for some info before I buy 1 100zz to try it but need to justify spending money. I am pretty happy with my 88D 3U now. coming from VT80 4U.

ucantseeme likes this.
  4. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

May i know how did you get the conclusion that new 88d has less weight compared to the old one?

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

RF did swing weight measurement & their result show 3U having less swing weight but 4U getting more swing weight.

Idk if RF did measure number of sample or only 1 racket test. There is possibility that its production fault tolerance if its just 1 racket test only.

Consider we all had lock down & no games for quite awhile & no one will get new racket & able to have it in action, i guest RF themself who can answer it but for now its the only measurement data we had. But maybe im to early to conclude with just 1 data:p

6. neverdien

neverdien Regular Member

I owned both 100zz and 88d (both 4u however).

Main things:
    Stiffness: 100zz > 88d
    Head-heaviness: 88d > 100zz

100zz has a special "shutter-hold" feeling when you return the shutter which makes it much easier to defense.
    This feeling is similar to the nanoflare 700 if you ever tried it.

For me, the 100zz is like the balance between Z-Strike and Nanoflare 700.

7. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Kind of interesting that 100zz has a shuttle hold feel while being extra stiff. I don't think that's a combination I've ever seen in a racket before, correct me if wrong.

ucantseeme likes this.
  8. neverdien

neverdien Regular Member

I was quite surprised when testing the racket too.
    You are correct there is not any other rackets have the same combination.

9. SY777

SY777 New Member

I've got 100zz 3u, 88D 3u and 88D 4u (reference below)

Personally 88D 3u is too heavy, my go-to racket is 88D 4u and auraspeed 90K.

I've yet to try 100ZZ as i'm in lockdown now but it feels even balanced.

rackets v2.JPG

10. SY777

SY777 New Member

Just tested the Astrox 100ZZ 3U. It needs time to get adjusted to as the feel is different from 88D, I don't feel that the smash is particuarly strong. I'm more comfortable using Astrox 88D 4U at the moment.

11. watanabe

watanabe New Member

Not sure if the threads still open but I've owned a majority of the astrox line in before.
    I've only owned the astroz 100 zz in 4u so ill base the comparisons all in 4u
    IME, the 100 zz is closest to the 88s in terms of BP and shuttle hold. The shaft is stiffer for net shots but when you're smashing or driving it becomes whippier like the nanoflare 700 to generate more speed.

Overall the smash isn't as heavy as the 99 or the 88D however it is much easier to do repeated smashes with this racket especially if you're more of a wrist or placement smasher. The racket is great in defense as well, not as fast as the 88s but much easier to do defensive clears.

Personally speaking, I still prefer the 99 because I prefer "softer" heads but I have switched to the zz for doubles at least.

missclicked likes this.
  12. KingCantona

KingCantona Regular Member

Sounds like the 100ZZ 4U could be a good double racket.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

13. Croavistar

Croavistar Regular Member

I can't ignore the starking differences between the 3U and 4U versions with the latest Yonex racquets. The AX99 and 100ZZ variants are kind of different.

Performance - AX88D are more conventional. 4Us are decent, 3U if you want a more beastly version. Can't be said for the AX99 where the 3U is a Mjölnir and 4U is more like a easy speedy Nanoflare. I felt all 100ZZ variants are control emphasis and not intended for power play but tactical play and placement. The 4U is speedy while the 3U is not speedy at all but more for one who likes even more control and solidness. While both have relatively large sweetspot, it may fit a more skillful wristy player to fulfill its potential since the swing speed is a little unconventional.
    100ZZ i felt are not meant for casual players looking for more power simply. Technical merchants would probably love the audacious control it offers.

14. Galliano

Galliano New Member

Prob have to agree with you on the 100ZZ.

Disclaimer: Have only some experience with the
    • Astrox68D
    • Voltric Z Force II
    • Voltric FB
    • Arc Saber 11
    Tried the new Astrox 100ZZ (4U) yesterday. Control was very good. But rear shots clearance & smashes were surprisingly weak. I attribute this to my lack of ability to finding the "sweet-spot". Was rather disappointed initially, as i was hoping for more power.

Thus, I'm finding justification to owning the new 100ZZ. Considering the fact that its not exactly head heavy (eg, Z Force) neither is it light (eg, Voltric FB or Windstorm). It feels quite a fair bit like the Arc Saber 11. A rather balanced racket. Thus, curious the design & justification of 100ZZ when the Arc Saber 11 is already a very good balance racket (and much cheaper than 100ZZ).

Well, guess i can update more when i spend more time with the 100ZZ.

#14 Galliano, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Kokai likes this.
  15. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

Perhaps it's for those seeking a stiffer Arc Saber 11.

DZS and DUO8XP more or less fills that, but I'm sure many others like myself get bothered by the dual profile. I look forward to your update as an Arc Saber 11 user.

16. Croavistar

Croavistar Regular Member

DZS is a good control racquet but i can't really say it is close to Arc11 since DZS design is fundamentally shortening the shaft and compacting the frame to create a rather unconventional and slightly demanding weapon. Not in the mould of unwieldy but a different feel from the conventional ones with 200- 210mm handles.

17. watanabe

watanabe New Member

Managed to get a hold of my friends 3U Astrox 100zz today and gave it a few swings. My initial opinion still stands, although the 100 is able to produce good and powerful smashes, its still not overwhelmingly powerful like the 99. So comparing the 3 "smashing" models the 99 is still the most powerful with the steepest angle that I managed to produce out of the 3 as well, the 88d is more efficient in terms of generating power ie 50% effort for maybe a 70% smash as opposed to the 99 which is 100% effort for a 110% smash. The 100 is the fastest of the 3 in my personal opinion at least and it's also the most direct out of the 3 in terms of touch and placement smashes. just don't expect to overpower someone that easily unless you're 1 of those monster smashers.

visor likes this.
  18. neverdien

neverdien Regular Member

This is true that 100zz is not a racket for smasher all the way.
    For me it feels like a Duora (without 'dua' thing) rather than an Astrox.

Speaking from an owner of DZS, D10, AX88D/S, AX100ZZ

19. Galliano

Galliano New Member

[​IMG]

I've only used the 100ZZ in a couple of matches on 2 occasions. Never clashed or hit against anything, aside from the shuttle. Admittedly the 100ZZ does take awhile to get the sweet spot, thus contact with the rim was occasional also.

Geesh .. was surprised to see this scratch! Did not expect such condition so soon.
    I did not have such problems with previous Yonex rackets.

20. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

that looks like that paint smudge you get from hitting the bird with your frame. Can't you rub it off?

Bieffe likes this.