Yonex ALL ENGLAND 2018 : Round of 32 - FINAL (14-18 March)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

This year's big event should be Thomas Cup. Yeah, it was so close in both first and second game. But the deciding game isn't expected by anyone I think.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Yeah so looking at the rankings, I don't think the outcome would've tilted seeding in their favour either way.

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Three new champions, two defend the crown, five titles for five different nattions.

All England final is started to watch a huge upset in mixed doubles, really impressed with steely determination of Japan newcomers Watanabe/Higashino, they didn't play like a rookie yesterday, made bravery comeback in second game with combination of dropshots, fast attacking style and solid defense, deciding game is a gone case for under pressure Zheng/Huang. It's definitely mental problem for Chinese hot favourite who couldn't carry heavyweight burden in top-tier tournaments, such a disappointment character, they're little bit lucky to enter grand finale after stretched into full distance by Christiansen/Pedersen at last four. Watanabe/Higashino will be the pair to watch out.

Tai Tzu Ying becomes more more difficult to beat if she plays normal, Yamaguchi could balanced her skillfull opponent at the opening game but second game is quite lop-sided clash when defending champion dictated the pace and moved Yamaguchi corner to corner and often trapped her with her deceptive shots at front area. This is the quality of world number one player, so classy!

Finally, we witness the new generation of men's singles champion after the triumvirate reigned All England arena in last nine years. Shi Yuqi shows tremendous improvement of technical skill along this tournament. Last year, the nervous Shi succumbed tamely to Lee Chong Wei, the gesture didn't happen in finale against his illustrious senior, Lin Dan. He knocked out Jeon Hyeok Jin, Lee Hyun Il and Son Wan Ho but the most notable name was the Olympic Champion Chen Long at last eight. Lin Dan didn't exhibit same performance last night as he demonstrated in previous round, slower, erratic and practically throwing third game easily, maybe tired or another reason, we keep guessing. Orchestrated or not, China has found new leading man to take on the mantle of Lin Dan & Chen Long, the next tournaments will prove it whether Shi Yuqi is really the chosen one.

A big losing for Japan in women's doubles, fails to clinch AE crown despite bring full force here, Juhl/Pedersen tactical play contribute their victory, barricaded by three Japanese pairs in semifinal, the Danish veterans redeemed their defeat last year to top podium this time and end Asian domination. Fukushima/Hirota aren't Matsutomo/Takahashi who could handle high pressure better in prestigious event, it's too bad the Olympic Champion suffered quarterfinal exit to their junior Matsumoto/Nagahara.

The unstoppable duo Gideon/Sukamuljo affirm their status as top-seed and unbeatable pair so far, the high confidence Indonesians continue their superb action, Boe/Mogensen couldn't do too much to thwart their formidable opponent from back to back All England title in two-straight games with shortest duration of final match, 42 minutes. It's fortunate for Indonesia to have Gideon/Sukamuljo who always dependable to win title in every tournament, this duo remind us about Ricky/Rexy domination in 1990's era.

HSBC BWF World Tour will resume on early May with back to back Super 300 tournaments in Oceania region, NZL & AUS Open ;)

Michael V, Amlite, boon_keng and 3 others like this.
  4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Very impressed with the way Shi Yuqi was smashing.

Can't play passive vs LD with slow rallying.

Unlike LCW who kept smashing to LD's backhand he was smashing down the line more which proved to be very effective.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Shi has more effective smashes against Lin Dan because more of them are steeper.

Michael V and alien9113 like this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I was really impressed in the second game. The flow was with the Chinese but both Japanese players kept trying and fighting - not giving any easy points away. Eventually they turned it around breaking the Chinese duo's spirits.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Think HuangZheng is not the best combination despite reaching 6 Finals in a trot.

With ChenQingChen/ZhengSiwei, they look more intimidating, i dont know why.

melon94 likes this.
  8. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

what really? i really never notice this in the past wow :eek:

9. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

perhaps becoz CQC more creative than HYQ....

10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Even swiss open . Only few tournaments do that. May be because of its culture.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

11. volcom

volcom Regular Member

All you see HyQ do is netshots or soft blocks like Ma Jin previously, 0 initiative to attack unless the shuttle is super floaty.

melon94 likes this.
  12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah many shots she cant kill i feel yesterday. Should have done it like CQC ZYL, there will be no mercy.

Also think it has something to do with character. CQC is more naughty type, she definitely can change the rhytm of the inexperience japanese pair with her shoutings that she cant do with Ahmad/Natsir. Well, too bad it already happened.

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

[​IMG]

14. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

^Maybe that was the last year they did... :p

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Love it. :)

I saw the magician play that year live in Wembley

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I was there as well.

Cheung likes this.
  17. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I remember liliyana natsir was being asked the difference between cqc and hyq (that was after their lost to siwei/hyq in indonesia masters I think) she said that cqc are more agressive in front of the net, taking more half chances.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that was my earliest recollection of watching badminton on TV, when Zhao Jinhua sent Frost scrambling from sideline to sideline.

19. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

Didn't she say that HYQ is more sly in her shots?

#Tapatalk

20. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I don't remember her saying something about their shots, just that cqc are more agressive in her play while hyq are more calm.