Yonex AC102 durability ??

Discussion in 'Grip' started by blablabla21, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Why not using one Overgrip direct on wood with 50% overlap? I don't get the reason for a second Overgrip beneath when you don't want to enlarge the grip size. Durabilty sounds to me like the worst reason to wrap one under it. I would prefer to change one Overgrip more frequent than having a decent Overgrip and a filthy and torn one over it. I really don't see an advantage of it, if you don't want to enlarge the handle. Pricewise and effective it's really a bad idea. If you really need more material for durability I would change to AC136EX slightly thicker than AC102EX and will deliver the same result by just wrapping one. Much better idea to get the same and cheaper in total. :)

Quentin11 likes this.
  2. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

It's because in my country the options are limited and I have to buy online each time.

I would consider your options but too late I bought six AC102

3. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    But how much do you overlap? Have you tried 50% overlap with one overgrip? Just six for one order? If I would live in Mauritius I would order for a whole year. :)

4. Manong

Manong Regular Member

MIS Engineer
    I think Yonex grips are hit or miss, i bought 2 AC133 red ones because 102 are not available, first one last for about 3 days and second one is still 2 months and strong and I don't know why :(. So I just concluded that maybe the first one is an old stock, and the second one is a newer stock.

I grip my rackets pretty evenly because I don't want it to be ugly hahaha 50% overlap master race!

5. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@ucantseeme

I've been struggling with finding a correct grip here. Tried so many different grips that I became scared of buying grip online because I pretty much know I wouldn't like it.

I was experiencing with grips and overgrip and found that I quite liked the overgrip's feeling. However it was too thick for my taste.

Then I experienced with a single overgrip on the handle, tried evenly, 50% and in between. Liked it but it wasn't enough cushioning for my skin.

That's why I tried adding a second one. The first one is applied at 50% and the second one is applied evenly just to provide that additional fine cushioning. Turns out it was just the thing I needed.

I use this on a G5 grip but use only 1 at 50% on a G4 grip. But soon I will not have to worry about my G4 grips because i'm getting another AX88D 3UG5 and won't being using my VTZF2 or Duora 10 which are both G4.

6. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    I can highly recommend Victor cushion wrap, if you can get it at your location. You can adjust the grip size with it perfectly and depending on how tight you wrap it you get soft or harder cushioning.
    At the end you cover it with a single overgrip.
    I do all my rackets this way.

So far ac102 been the best I had (compared to babolat, techno pro, pacific x), but mostly used white ones.
    Last package I bought however was mixed colors. After reading this thread I'm curious if the darker colors will be worse. (Currently using orange because it fits my orange bg66:p)

I would like to try RKEP G09 but it seems they are no longer available!?

7. lurker

lurker Regular Member

I am a fan of the ac102ex
    But since I hv moved on to some cheaper China made alternatives.

Slightly thicker than ac102ex, so I do not need to add cushion wrap. Less work also.

The china grips cost nearly 1/3 or Yonex equivalent (including cushion wrap use). Not as grippy. But I can afford to change it more often and hv a cleaner grip.

[​IMG]

8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeah I saw Victor chushion wrap in a UK online shop. I had my doubts. Anyway didn't think about looking for a similar thing on Shuttle House.

I bought the green and red wine colors to go with my two AX88D, Yuki and Chiharu!

Manong likes this.
  9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    You can also order the Mueller Underwrap/Prewrap. It's identical to others of the famous brands and cheaper.

Quentin11 likes this.
  10. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Okay it'll be for next time then. Already ordered my stuff from Shuttle House.

I hope the AC102 are not too different from the AC102EX and I can actually use them.

11. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Ok, orange ac102 is much worse then white.
    This is my grip after 2,5 h of play. Already starts to tear apart.
    rsz_img_20181110_131835.jpg

12. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

I heard somewhere the ac102 with 3 pcs inside, color white and yellow, is the best compared to singles, or 10 pcs inside..

13. Islubio

Islubio Regular Member

Same thing happened to my one and only orange one too, 3 sessions around 2-3 hours each. White ones last way longer.

14. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

I love using Yonex's AC102 overgrip, however somehow the durability is an issue. The grip will become somewhat slippery after a couple of hours of playing & as most of the readers here complain the durability varies from colour to colour. Is there any other grip which offer the same feel but more durable?

15. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I've used li-ning gp1000 red, violet and apple green(?) and they're pretty much durable. I replaced them only because they got dirty already but no tearing whatsoever. Maybe it depends also on how much acidity your sweat has?

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

16. Hans van Egteren

Hans van Egteren Regular Member

I made the switch from Yonex overgrips to Tecnifibre Overgrips Pro Contact X12.
    I currently played 2 evenings without having issues with the durability, while the Yonex overgrips also started to tear apart after one evening (2/3 hours).

17. bjt1

bjt1 Regular Member

there has been numerous complains of the red ac102 and its durability, i've been using yellow ones adn the only time its ever damaged is when i go for a dive and the grip rubs against the floor. Or you people's hands are made of sandpaper lol

18. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

On a slightly different note, it seems like yellow and white are the fav colors for many pros. Any special reason perhaps?

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

19. Hans van Egteren

Hans van Egteren Regular Member

I'm not sure if it has to do with the durability of those colors, because I believe that pro's always play with fresh grips each match...

20. bjt1

bjt1 Regular Member

Its looks fine with any racket of any colour i guess. I use yellow and not white cuz if white goes dirty its disgustingly obvious haha but yellow, you will notice it, but its bearable