YONEX® Thailand Open 2021 World Tour Super 1000 (12-17 Jan)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by samkool, Jan 10, 2021.

1. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Buying vaccine and oblige all players to inject, then the problems solve.

2. lurker

lurker Regular Member

vaccine DOES NOT WORK that way

3. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Surprisingly no coaching for any Indian player today

4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

The entire Indian team has been categorised high risk by Thai health authorities and all players and team entourage are currently self-quarantining in their rooms at the hotel and will be subject to a PCR test today.

Each individual is subject to daily testing until further notice from the Department of Disease Control, but players can continue to play upon producing a negative result.

India players scheduled to play today will be allowed to come to the venue. No coaches, managers or other personnel from Team India are allowed.

Taken from clely's post

Ps: but if players are allowed, why not managers and coaches, bwf ?

Sumanth99 likes this.
  5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

so Sindhu without coach and duly in trouble.

6. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Mia is good. However, I feel Sindhu is not in her best form. Slow movements, slow reaction and many errors.
    Now bye bye Sindhu :)

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Lets go GohTan. Its their best chance to win SS since SSF2016 I believe. On the sidenote, i have to think about it again. I thought they never won SS before but i believe they won DO & SSF so total 2.

8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    from all appearances it looks like she needs to re-strengthen her core.

9. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

It's not the decision from BWF , it's the decision of the Thai health authorities .

10. Sirppi

Sirppi Regular Member

Does anyone have a link to court 3? I'm watching the tournament via my local distributor, but they only show courts 1&2. :/

11. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Dear badminton friends all over the world!
    In these difficult Corona times, there are also different opinions in badminton on how we should deal with the current situation in world badminton and especially at this tournament in sport. After the first positive Corona test, many would want to cancel the tournament immediately. I accept these opinions, but I would also like to point out an aspect that speaks in favor of continuing the tournaments.

There is nothing wrong with suspending the tournaments at the lower level, but at the top of the world it is important to remember that all these players are professionals and earn a living with their sport. Due to the long break from the tournament, many players run the risk of losing their sponsors. It can also happen that badminton itself loses many sponsors from tournaments. Of course, the aspect of player security should not be ignored!
    But I think the BWF does almost everything to ensure security. I can confirm this as a participant in the bubble at the Denmark Open in October. In the current situation, however, it is not only BWF that decides on the consequences of whether a tournament may be held. Rather, it is up to the local authorities to make this decision after the corona situation in their own country. Fortunately, the situation in Asia is still very calm.

But if we look to March and Europe ... I am very sure that All England will be canceled. In England we currently have around 60,000 (!!!) new Corona infections per day. The rate of Corona is thus around 200 times higher than in Thailand. I also believe from the experience of 2020 that the Swiss Open (80 times higher than Thailand) and the German Open (60 times higher than Thailand) will be canceled by the authorities due to the high corona numbers. This is a shame, of course, but the safety of the athletes has first priority. But it is also important to remember that there is no such thing as 100 percent security in life.
    As things stand now, it is justifiable for me to play the tournaments in Thaliand! Stay healthy !

#31 Bardie, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    jyeung, pp35 and Sirppi like this.
  12. pp35

pp35 Regular Member

TTY wearing make up on court. That's new :D

Cheung and samkool like this.
  13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    frankly, bwf doesn't care about the lower levels anyway: fs, is, ic, wt 100 - "you know the laws of badminton? great. we'll send you a referee. good luck!"
    and that would be unfortunate. however, during this long break many people in other professions have already lost everything months ago.
    at the highest level it's bwf's job to see that it doesn't. otherwise why else do they exist?
    i'm all for tournaments continuing whenever & wherever possible and giving you the opportunity to keep on playing. but, the plan this current tournament laid out opened itself to spreading the virus much easier from the start. upon arrival a minimum period of 10 days of isolation (q'tine) is imperative before starting an event. if you're going to stage an event safely, do it correctly or don't do it at all. are the consequences worth cutting corners for? a tournament falling apart doesn't do anybody any good in the long run. btw, local authorities don't always make the right decisions either.

i've been loving this sport for 50+ years.
    i've been hating the way it's governed over that same time period. :(

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

DAY-1 Recap :
    • Sindhu premature exit becomes the biggest headline in opening day of THA Open, the world champion said it's not her day as Mia Blichfeldt did better job to outmaneuver her more fancied opponent in three games. Top-seed Tai Tzu Ying needs to dig deep to secure her second round ticket against world #129 Aimsaard, this match contained loads of unforced error rather that her fascinating shots showcase.
    • It's not major surprise to witness the inconsistent 6th seed Faizal/Widjaja lost to more determined Indian pair Rankireddy/Ponnappa. Strong contenders Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai were forced to exploit extra effort before subdue Malaysian back-ups duo Hoo PR/Cheah YS.
    • 8th seed Aaron Chia/Soh WY who're touted as MD future stars score setback, down to senior compatriots Goh VS/Tan WK in two straight-games, an unexpected result for MAS camp. In the meantime Alfian/Ardianto almost bit the dust against home combination Phuangphuapet/Viriyangkura, grabbed four crucial points to progress into last 16, 17-21 / 21-16 / 22-20.
    • Reigning All England Champion Viktor Axelsen outclasses 2019 Macau Open winner Sittikom Thammasin with authoritative mode. Meanwhile different fashion were displayed by two Indonesia hotshots, Anthony Ginting and Jonatan Christie who had hard times to clear first round hurdle, Heo Kwang Hee and Loh Kean Yew respectively.

ROUND OF 32 - PART II (09.00am) : https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...541B33-2037-4644-A541-EDA77A870CE1&d=20210113

*MATCH HIGHLIGHTS*

- Liew Daren (MAS) v Anders Antonsen (DEN)
    - Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk (THA) v Chou Tien Chen (TPE)
    - Sonia Cheah (MAS) v An Se Young (KOR)
    - Yeo Jia Min (SGP) v Ratchanok Intanon (THA)
    - Qi Xuefei (FRA) v Carolina Marin (ESP)
    - Astrup/Rasmussen (DEN) v Lee Y/Wang CL (TPE)
    - Rankireddy/Shetty (IND) v Kim GJ/Lee YD (KOR)
    - Nohr/Magelund (DEN) v Jordan/Oktavianti (INA)

LIVE TV COVERAGE (09.00am)
    upload_2021-1-12_19-30-57.png

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Asia refers to Thailand right? IND and INA are excluded for "relatively calm" condition.
    We'll wait and see how Race of Tokyo fate if both SUI & GER Open 2021 were cancelled.

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Ha ha ha...yeah, it's so obvious. Now, she knows how to look beautiful...;)

17. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

I don't know if I understand you right , sorry therefor ;-)
    Of course, the situation in India and Indonesia is not so good than in Thailand , but fortunately still relatively harmless compared to Europe. You can't just compare the numbers in absolute terms, rather the number should be compared to the population of the respective country. In the last seven days there were per 100,000 inhabitants infected with Corona:
    Thailand 3.2
    India 9.3
    Indonesia 24.2
    Germany 174.8
    Switzerland 262.0
    Great Britain 609.5
    Of course , every infected person is to much. But the situation in Asia is still very calm.
    Stay healthy !

18. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

I agree with most of your points , therefor we discuss ;-)
    But BWF hasn't to do anything with the lower tournaments. The continental associations send the Referee ;-)
    Cause of the sponsorship at big (BWF) tournaments , for example .
    This special year we have the Thailand Open II and BWF was lucky to find the sponsor Toyota for this tournament.
    Just in case the tournament get canceled by the Thailand Government. What do you think Toyota is doing ?
    In the best case scenario they give the money for another badminton tournament, in the worst case they say wee give
    the money for a whole in one at some golf tournament and badminton loses the money.
    But is that not in the power of the world association?

BTW - I've been loving Badminton since 45 years , so five years to go for the 50 ;-)

Stay healthy !

Cheung likes this.
  19. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Good news for India !

Attached Files:

samkool, Sumanth99 and kurako like this.
  20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Too be honest for INA case because it's very limited testing here (below WHO standard).