Ye Zhaoying ( 叶钊颖 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by accent, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Surprised this is news to the outside world. It was pretty well known when it happened. LYB didn’t even deny it (obviously back in the day there weren’t that many questions asked via media). It was considered a strategic win, as China was at the time still trying to rebound from the nadir of the sport.

I was sympathetic with Ye back in the day. She persevered when CHN WS was down, and just when it was turning around, she was robbed a fair chance for an Olympic gold. Then she disappeared for many years. Then she appeared on some news. Then it got interesting… have to say this latest interview had a lot of political element in it.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    [​IMG]AFP News
    Chinese badminton star ordered to throw Olympic semi in Sydney 2000
    Chinese badminton star ordered to throw Olympic semi in Sydney 2000 (yahoo.com)

Sat, 27 August 2022 at 10:39 pm·2-min read

[​IMG]

Former Chinese badminton champion Ye Zhaoying claims she was forced to throw her semi-final at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 to increase the chances of a gold medal for one of her compatriots, in an interview broadcast on Saturday by Danish television TV2.

Twenty-two years later, the former world number one, who won bronze in Australia, says she was pushed by the team management to lose her match against Gong Zhichao so as not to "tire her too much" ahead of a final against Danish champion Camilla Martin.

"They asked me to do this. They told me not to let it look like I was losing on purpose. But at the same time, they wanted me not to tire Gong Zhichao too much," Ye alleged on TV2.

"They wanted me to lose in two sets, not in three sets, so that I wouldn't tire her out too much.

"You can go and watch (the match) again. I would purposely put points out of bounds, stuff like that, or make sure (the shuttlecock) did not go over the net. I had no choice."

Ye, however, stopped short of naming individual coaches or management staff she claims instructed her to lose the match.

"We feel very helpless, because we are alone against the system," she said.

"The Olympics is almost a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for an athlete, so it's really sad. But as an individual, I couldn't argue with the system."

Gong duly went on to beat Martin in the final and win the gold medal.

In a press release, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) said it "can’t comment on specific details related to this historic incident" but that measures were in place to combat corruption.

"Accusations of this nature are something we consider very seriously,"said BWF president Thomas Lund in the statement.

"Match manipulation of any kind is not tolerated in badminton. We are committed to protecting the integrity of the sport by putting in place very robust measures for monitoring and investigating acts of match manipulation."

Lund said the federation needed to remain "vigilant" in its attempt to keep the sport clean, while encouraging individuals to come forward through the BWF's 'whisteblower' system.

The interview with the Chinese player was conducted in Malaga, Spain, where Ye lives in exile with her husband, former Chinese soccer star Hao Haidong.

The couple explain to TV2 that they have almost no hope of returning to China since the strong criticism levelled in June 2020 by Hao against the Chinese authorities.

In response to their stance, both athletes have been airbrushed from the Chinese internet, having been removed from Chinese search engine Baidu and Chinese social networks such as Weibo and WeChat

3. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    She is now not in China, living with her new husband Hao Haidong (ex soccer player) who is also re-married.
    You can find their video in Youtube, i think China already blacklisted this couple.
    Hope they are fine now.
    Chen Yufei and Ye Zhaoying, interestingly were born in same city, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province.
    Anyway Li Lingwei is also from Zhejiang

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Glad its exposed in media.

We wait for Taufik news in the future about the Malaysian lcw match fixing. ;)