Yang Yang vs Icuk Sugiarto in Thomas Cup

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mb111, Feb 22, 2012.

1. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Hi all,
    Many years ago, I remember watching Yang Yang playing Icuk Sugiarto in the Thomas Cup final on tv.
    I was young at that time and it could have been 1986 TC.

If my memory serves me right, during this match, I believe I saw Yang Yang performing a jumping backhand cross court smash at his rear court against Icuk. Needless to say, this shot was perfectly executed.

My question is, did anyone remember this?

Thanks.

2. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

yes I did .... and that's for the first time Indonesia could not win the Thomas Cup as a host (of course after the 60's incident), it was repeated again in 2004 and 2010. Icuk as 1st Single was no-answer to Yang Yang. If I'm not mistaken, Icuk won only once againts Yang Yang.

3. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Thank you maa2003.
    At least I know I'm not alone and not imagininig thing. :)

Since you mentioned it, yes, I remember the host was Indonesia. I think Yang Yang was the mens single 2nd player in China team.

4. domainame

domainame Regular Member

5. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

yes,you are right. Yang Yang was a 2nd single.
    but Icuk was the 1st single, so when Indonesia vs China at the Final, China dropped their 1st Single (Han Jian if I'm not mistaken), and move Yang Yang as 1st Single coz the head-to-head between them at Yang Yang side, so the strategy was working.
    China get the point from Yang Yang, then 3rd Single Xiong Guabao won again Liem Swie King, with double 13-13 at 1st and 2nd set, but Swie King refused to extend the game, so he lost unfortunately ... people shout on him that night ....
    Indonesia then made it 2-2 after Christian Hadinata/Hadibowo won - there was an incident when the shuttle hit Christian's hair, he then gave the shuttle to China pair. During the interview after the game, Christian said the if he played trick, then it would be not good in his heart.
    Unfortunately, again Liem Swie King/Bobby Ertanto can not win against Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi

During that time it was Single-Single-Single-Double-Double format.

you can see the result here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Thomas_&_Uber_Cup

Liem Swie King/Kartono made Indonesia won the 1984 edition at Kuala Lumpur, but Liem Swie King/Bobby Ertanto made Indonesia lost in 1986 in front of his crowds ... what a night.