XXXII Tokyo OG 2020 : DAY-9 (1st August 2021) MS Semifinal, WS Bronze & Gold Medal Match

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Chen Yufei has been playing really solid, defended well and had a overall very good shot quality.
    Playing against someone like this puts a lot of pressure on you, in addition Chen didn't fall for most of TTY's deceptions so she had to play very precise to create openings which leads to errors

Suilven and dood1234 like this.
  2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I'm actually not as ambivalent about it as I thought. It's nice for us watching badminton again, sitting at home comfortaby, but this Olympics is an unmitigated disaster for the people of Japan and totally unwanted. Should have never went ahead.

3. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

As a fan of the Chinese players I can't agree, this tournament has been great to watch so far;)

Anks and Suilven like this.
  4. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Yup, have to admit WC/Oly titles do count big, but it's I feel their achievement in the circuit should also be taken into consideration.

If I'm not wrong, I have heard Clark's comments saying TTY and the Minions being dominant but failed to medal in WC/Oly in the past.
    But never heard she mentioned Liu Chen (won MD in WC17) and Ko/Shin (MD champ in 2014) being former WC but never ranked no.1.

TTY has won a medal now, albeit silver, but her numerous titles and duration as WR1, it will be difficult to judge where she stand beside Sindhu.

Consider LCW. He didn't win a gold, but have so many silver, won the most titles and being WR1 for the longest period, are we going to say VA is way above LCW?

Ko/Shin have a gold medal, but will we say they are better than LYD/YYS? Ko/Shin even ranked behind Kim/Kim in qualifying for Rio'16.

Anks likes this.
  5. Cunning Linguist

Have you even read what I wrote?

nilesh123 likes this.
  6. jim4wd

jim4wd Regular Member

Thanks for sharing tis post. I have a good impression of pvs now.

stanleyfm and Anks like this.
  7. jim4wd

jim4wd Regular Member

In Life, you win some, you lose some. Right and wrong is not so clear cut.

Anks and samkool like this.
  8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...and most of the time, whether it be right or wrong, it's out of our control. so in the case of these olympics all i can do is enjoy it.

9. Cunning Linguist

stanleyfm and samkool like this.
  10. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    It shows what a sweet person she is because she was at Tai's place in Rio and she was a target of this "So Close yet so far" etc because it truly hurts to be at the losing end of the biggest final in ur career however,in the long run Tai will realize what a feat she has achieved.From now anyone who opens her wikkipedia page those beautiful Olympic Ring colum at the top appears showing her greatness and as far as a major tittle is concerned there is WC and she can get that Gold and just shut the haters up !

Im glad PV could make her smile and she could cry in her arms but more so PV Helping her realize that its ok and irrespective of the colour of her medal Tai is a Golden player ...It is very moving to see an opponent who was beaten by a rival and denied a chance to final to run to her and hug her and I believe its the first time in the history of WS and its a great sportsmanship..this is what True Olympic Spirit is about....Im Proud of both of them ladies !

Thankfully now TTY already has an Oly medal and I just hope in the next WC she wins the Gold thats all not that she requires it but it would just look great on her career when Gill and Morten would adress her as World Champion and even after she retires she will be adressed as a Former World Champ...She Truly deserves it !

11. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    You see the reason why I always believe that this world ranking thing is nothing but the standing of a players consistency of performances but in actual the fans and audience dont open the website and check who is world no.1 etc what impacts and stays with the audience is what they see and at Olympics and WC where even non badminton fans are stick to their TVs they will consider the Medalists as the best players of their sports and see how they played !

Coming to Tai and Sindhu they both have different class of their own where PVS has proven that she is the "Queen of Majors" and Tai has proven to be the "Queen of Deceptions" "Forever No.1" both of them are special and unique because of their achievements,however Yes, I will say that its just 1 Major tittle that TTY is missing and I think she can win it which is WC as the next oly is still far away and unpredictable..her dream of Oly medal is already fulfilled and now when she wins WC Gold that would be icing on the cake ! She will forever be remembered as a "World Champ" !!

And Yes She can do it and I think she will !!

12. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Ya, getting an Olympic medal is all the more difficult given that it is held every 4 years and the added pressure of representing your country. That is possibly why Intanon broke down in tears at the end of her match. She'd be 29 come Paris 2024.

WC21 will be in December in Spain. TTY should be there and if she is still motivated to get a gold, after coming so close in the Olympics.

Now we can only pray the world is not severely hit by covid come last quarter of the year.

Anks likes this.
  13. lurker

lurker Regular Member

May the cuter of the 2 pairs win the Bronze ^.^

14. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

It's actually quite astounding that none of the badminton players (correct me if I am wrong, but hopefully I'm right) contracted covid during their stay in Japan. For an event of this magnitude, we are talking about not just the players, but all the umpires, service judges, line judges, staff, camera crew, logistics/event/venue coordinators, commentators, media, coaches, and whoever else I missed. Before the games began, I thought there was a good chance some players might test positive and randomly have to drop out of their events, but it looks like all the matches were played as scheduled.

I can only hope the rest of the world, especially the poorer nations receive help and vaccines for their populations. It truly is such a devastating pandemic for many.

Anks likes this.
  15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Indonesia women did well. China no form. ;)

16. warujati

warujati New Member

china pair have no answer
    what a pity

17. extremenanopowe

Polii will dedicate this gold to her elder demised brother and kido also I guess. A great win for her. ;)

Talk about adversity, sweat, blood and tears. ;)
    Hirota also.
    Msia gly kpkb injury wor.. lol

#417 extremenanopowe, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Airos and Anks like this.
  18. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Don't think you are using that emoji correctly

visor and Cunning Linguist like this.
  19. extremenanopowe

Am an old man. Excuse me if I am wrong. You may suggest. This is the only emoji I know. ;)

This is my standard emoji. Not much of an emotion eh? Lol

Anks likes this.
  20. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Markis Kido's demise was so unfortunate.
    Glad that Indonesia won a gold. Happy for them.

Anks likes this.