XVIII ASIAN GAMES 2018 : Individual Event (23-28 August)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 22, 2018.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

The problem is, there wont be any European Championship next year, and I guess the same goes to the other continents

If that is the case, it is not fair for atlhletes outside Asia since they will have less tournaments to gain points from

Heck, it still is not fair if all continents gonna have both tournaments (European champs and European Games),
    because this year the Asian have 1 extra tournament to get points from
    and only next year the rest of the world have the extra tournament

Might affect some peoples opportunity to join the world tour 1000, Ygor for instance

Michael V likes this.
  2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Maybe @Master can give better clarification on this matter mr Rudy?

3. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

It is very messy. They should choose only one to count, maybe whichever was higher, the BAC or the Indiv event of AG. Same should also go for the team event. They should edit those rankings ASAP.

4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Only one should count universally, otherwise Asian players would get 2 chances and Europeans only one, leading to inflated points for the Asian region in general. Imagine 2 guys - one getting to the BAC final, bombing out 1st round at the AG, the other just the other way around - if you count the better results, 2 players will get 2nd place points, whereas other regions only have one tournament and thus one guy getting 2nd place points.
    Asian players already have a certain advantage by flying way shorter distances to the majority of events, you don't need to give them an unfair one arbitrarily. Events are held where sponsor money comes in, so this is not intended as a complaint about event locations at all, btw. Just pointing out that there's really no need to somehow push the Asian region even further.

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    There should be no points since it is not a BWF tournament. Granting points is a freebie for bwf in terms of interest and publicity, yet it costs them zero.

In short BWF gets to base their world rankings on tournaments they are not a party to.

It's bullshit any way you look at it.

Cheung likes this.
  7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Can't you deliver this matter to Badminton Asia, and further BWF?
    You must have experienced dealing with them
    This way to include the result of Asian Games is not fair at all....

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Really? Not fair?
    I think in many ways, it is easier for the European players or any other continent players to gain higher points in their regional tournaments than the Asians in terms of regional or continental level of competitiveness. And we know the level of many or most players in other continents are probably lower than many of those competing in the Asia.
    So giving extra points for the Asian players are not really unfair if you saw it from another perspective. It is unfair for the rest of the Asian players for not able to gain more points just because they have to compete in Asia among Asian players in a very limited slots for participants.

Though it is kind of ridiculous for BWF to give points for the AG, because of the lack of high quality facilities the usual BWF tournaments have (no hawk eyes, shady line judgments etc).

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, it's just not fair to non-Asians to have both the BAC and the AG individual event counted in the BWF world ranking, since both tournaments are similar in structure except that AG followed the Olympic quota of two players per nation/MA, as they are held in the same year, only one should be counted.

Furthermore, the organization of the AG individual event didn't live up to the standards and requirements of BWF, such as the absence of Hawk-Eye IRS and a good mix of international linejudges, rather than all coming from the host nation, the more so when IRS was not implemented.

Between the two events, obviously BAC makes the grade, not the AG individual. One small peeve, the BAC livestream coverage leaves much to be desired in the early rounds, but that can be easily addressed, I believe.

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    why? my issue with what is fair or not to the players does not concern me. if the other continental federations/players, or fans, have a problem with it they need to complain about it.

my issue is how bwf is run: clueless, unprofessional, yet dictatorial.

if they are indeed clueless i suppose you hope they can learn as they go. based on history, and up to now, i haven't seen any significant signs they can get out of their own way.

as far as being unprofessional there are too many problems to get into. the main one being does anybody in their leadership know how to lead a business? i have yet to meet any bwf personnel with a sense of knowing how to do their job or even caring about what they are doing. punch in, collect paycheck, punch out.

the dictatorial thing is the most puzzling, in how they appear to 'control' the sport: mandatory tournament entries for top players, authorizing ranking points for tournaments they do not 'own', closing tournaments off to independent players, contributing virtually nothing $-wise towards tournaments, etc.
    • if they don't realize their rules are heavy handed and controlling it tells us yes, they are indeed clueless.
    • if they do realize their rules are heavy handed and controlling, well, what else is there to say?

11. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Fine
    I guess we lots of different perspective

It really is not fair for non-Asian

It is easy to make it fair, just by degrading the level of European champ points level

Not by incorporating 2 tournaments for Asian

It is extremely not fair for Non-Asian

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I thought they will have EuroGames next year?

If any, the EuroGames will count toward the Olympic points.. so why the fuss?

I dont think Marin and Axelsen care so much, obviously only both of them have the right to complain. Others in MD & XD are way too far to focus what more WD and some of the Asian players dont even play BAC. so you can count both of that its fine man. So fussy because both is included for what. You are asian even europeans dont complain.

Just trying to degrade tournament just because one cant win it is cheap shot. Try again next time bro.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Fairness is relative.

Is it fair for top 20 players or pairs to not able to compete in world's event because there are only 2 or 3 slots available for players from the same country but WR#100 or above are invited and playing just because they are from different countries?

In the end what really matters is where you stand within your country not your world's ranking. You can be #5 in the world but if you are #3 or #4 in your country, you are still not good enough. I don't think Marin nor Axelsen would mind because she or he would always be #1 in her country nor any other players from other continent.

So I think the ones who should feel this unfairness are the Asians players who couldn't qualify or not selected to participate in the individual event.

#2513 yuquall, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Yoji likes this.
  14. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Any links to replays of these matches, preferably where Steen and co. are commentating on? I did stumble some in YT but they're mostly Chinese broadcasts.

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

16. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

17. Master

Master Regular Member

The BWF rules mentioned it clearly.

The hint is just one of continental points is used for BWF Ranking Points. So, the player will have their best continental points into BWF Ranking IF they have joined 1 continental championship and 1 continental games event.

So, it's not a big deal for any players come from Europe or Asian, this year or next year.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Still, playing 2 tournaments gives an advantage,even if only one counts. There's going to be 2 first places to go around, for example, so 2 different players/pairs can get that many points, as opposed to others where there's only one continental event. Doesn't affect OG qualification though, although that's more by accident than because of the BWF doing anything correctly

19. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

LOL, lots of newbies getting upset over nothing -- rankings points is not "cumulative", just "best of 10 tournaments in last 12 months"...

Non-annual tournaments are what they are (special, even if regular/repeating, events) -- having one an extra high level tournament in the last 12 months does not automatically means more points.

20. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Oh I see

To be fair, the rules does not say it 'clearly'
    It only says "At the request of the Continental Confederation, points earned in the Continental Multi-Sport Games Individual Championships can be included in the World Ranking instead of Continental Individual Championships as specified in clause 6.5.1 above"

Which I did not see directly as 'the best points for each player(s) gonna be chosen' (most probably per request by BAC)

In this case, it is rather fair for how it is being calculated and when corresponding to the level of competition in Asia (atm)