Xia : I hope to play Wong again.

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Chinese Taipei / China Open 2003' started by kwun, Nov 14, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Xia : I hope to play Wong again

Information Times (arranged by Wang Wei) (ed: I think original words by Xia himself)

I have been thinking a lot after advancing to the quarter finals last night, I think as I can hold on to it then it is not my chance, I will play my best in the coming matches.

A friend of mine asked me today, “do you know how everybody describe your relationship with Wong? It is ‘if there is Wong, then there is no Xia!’ “ after hearing that I have been thinking about the matches between Wong and I. Although Wong has never beaten me, I never thought of “if there is Wong, then there’s no Xia.” During a match, it is not the end, but also the means that everybody should focus on. (altenate translation: not only the result, but the process reaching it)

Before the match with Lee Chong Wei, I saw Wong in the arena, I noticed that he was also looking at me, I think this indicates that he is aware of me.

I am seeded at the bottom half while Wong is seeded at the top half, if we face then it will be in the finals. I really hope I can continue, however, I don’t know fans to have a “if there is Wong, then there’s no Xia” idea. As winning and losing is very common, I am not afraid of Wong.

Right, today is our 10th day in Guangzhou already, due to training, I have hard been outside. I heard Guangzhou has very good food, there is a saying, “eat in Guangzhou”, I really want to go out and have some Cantonese food with a group of friends, if I don’t do it now I will have to wait for next year!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting article! apparently written by Xia himself w/ minor editing by the reporter Wang Wei.

what an honor to translate Xia's own word...

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    ‘if there is Wong, then there is no Xia!’

I don't understand this bit. Mind explaining?

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

"There can only be one" - Quote from the Matrix

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. sorry for my bad translation. the meaning is, it is either wong or xia, but not both!

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think, correct me if i am wrong, that he is trying to say if wong were to be in the final, or winner of a tournament, then it must be because xia has not played him (ie not in tournament) or xia lost to another player........is this right?

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well its a rivalry thingy. They seems to be ok with each other when they are off-court. The tension is actually from the fans...