World's first super light-weight ear-muff sports helmet

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021.

?

is a sports helmet a good idea for noise reduction, focus and enhanced team communication?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avian Rodrigues

Avian Rodrigues Regular Member

81aVOsSl5jL._AC_UL330_SR330,330_.jpg 1dfb7a2b62579e86616d28bffd32167b--adidas-fashion-biker-girl.jpg Hi , what would be the idea for the world's first super lightweight ear-muffled sports helmet? I think a lot of sports can benefit from it, especially with built-in communication devices (microphones/headsets).. games like basketball and soccer can use it for noise reduction and superior communication between players/coaches on court/field, it may ease shouting from a distance.. I'm interested in the focus it can offer for badminton and would like to see what material can be used to achieve this for sports, nothing heavy would be good..,if a light rubber scrum cap helmet is possible or perhaps light plastic, will anything like it be produced soon?

#1 Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    next time try to wear a earplug and drown out all the environmental sound when you play badminton. you will be surprised how much we rely on environmental sound when playing badminton.

3. Avian Rodrigues

As much as you may think that environmental sound is very essential, this may only be so for the untrained unprofessional - the hearing impaired can actually play badminton very very very well.. and in the general understanding of focus and concentration, you should realize how close it is to completely blocking out sound....vibrations are much more essential in badminton ..plus it's not like you want it 100% muffled...it should be regulated or sold with different decibel level capability - so you can hear as much as you want to, while trying to learn the ways of the pros through enhanced silence, focus, vibration feeling and perhaps even improved shuttle contact efficiency ---- you can use earplugs for yourself ... LaMe ..and bad aesthetic...and dangerous, you can fall on them ..these helmets are an idea I thought of to support my team badminton idea where there is more leniency in cheering, noise props, etc in the audience.... While it may be a bit drastic to adopt for your game without proper reason (team badminton), they are still a very great all-round focus support for training, just like ankle weights is for speed..

#3 Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you are a good trained player. get some of those foam earplugs, try it out and let us know.

5. Avian Rodrigues

it doesn't look good and is dangerous if you slide, slip/trip/fall/buck/or dive... I don't care if it is custom molded, IT WILL FALL OUT AND BE SUPER UGLY AND UNCOMFORTABLE ... thanks for the feedback bro

#5 Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am talking about these:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-92077-80025T-Disposable-Earplugs-7-Pair/dp/B008U7IC6E/ref=sr_1_22

they are super light, very secure, they are super soft, won't even swish an ant if you try, they will not show and will look way better than that ugly helmet.

7. Avian Rodrigues

hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!, leave me alone kwun.. these will fall out, are not fit for a gun range and loud decibel levels, ARE UNCOMFORTABLE and i'm not into your risky business because hitting an ear may result in serious pain... but why can't you agree that it looks so dumb for focus play/training..would u stuff your ear...or cover it? hey mann..if this's about stuffing and covering I'm just saying they should make something for both of us

#7 Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
  8. Avian Rodrigues

hey but seriously speaking, could they have some special microphone/audio receiving set up on the court that sends/syncs all court sounds (shuttle hitting, movement and all court sounds enhanced - of course the volume on this should be controlled) to the players' EAR MUFFLED HELMET in the midst of high decibel levels..? I think ..this is the idea for its use in team badminton.. however, if the super light weight noise reduction helmets can be adapted to easily through the large vibration threshold it supplies.. then this technology would not be required.

#8 Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have a large box of those foam ear plugs. great for when using powertools and when kids are screaming in the house when working at home. It will work well with shooting range too. They are comfortable and works really well, and they don't fall out.

you talk the talk a lot, but never seen you walk the walk. If I were you I'd go and try out all these ideas you have. talk is cheap.

michael5098 and khoai like this.
  10. Avian Rodrigues

lol.. you probably don't bounce as much on court, or sudden stop or dive dash, or care about danger ..but I'm just telling you what is best for decibel levels...and complete silence ...you're guna hear things with those plugs and while this is a controlled form of noise reduction for badminton, a superlight weight ear mufflled helmet would be a more secure and fit equipment for the movement...and aesthetic - also healthwise, it may not be so healthy to have the foam in contact with your inner ear during sweat and play as sweat and ear impurity absorb in the foam and then can go inside the ear, as it has no room to escape

#10 Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021
  11. Avian Rodrigues

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as i said. try it.

13. Avian Rodrigues

not even if they looked like these..cuz it wouldn't reduce enough sound nor effectively contribute to my team badminton format with the above mentioned ideas.. reduced/regulated sound and silence is the problem - muffs may be a better fit than plugs for this

Attached Files:

#12 Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021
  14. Smash the net

Smash the net Regular Member

That's not even close to how foam earplugs look...

kwun likes this.
  15. Avian Rodrigues

Whatever plug works for you bro ..a helmet would work and look better

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

First of all: Who in their right mind thinks that this monstrosity of a helmet looks better than a tiny bit of earplug sticking out of your ear?!

Second: It will be close to impossible to achieve a 100% acoustical isolation. The bones and tissue around the ears will always transfer certain amount of sound to the inner ear. In fact, it will be a lot easier to achieve good noise reduction with actually covering the ear canals instead of putting stuff over the ears (see in-ear vs. over-ear headphones). And if you want best possible fit, you'll have to invest in custom fit ear pieces. I have a pair of those and you can do whatever you want without them falling out.

But as @kwun said, what keeps you from doing some trials with various options? Maybe start with that water polo helmet and stuff the ear-cups?

[​IMG]

#15 s_mair, May 11, 2021
    michael5098 and kwun like this.
  17. intrepid

intrepid Regular Member

It's hard enough to convince people to use bike helmets, so why should anyone wear one in a non-risky situation like badminton?
    If you want to control noise smart earplugs like this might be the way to go: https://www.npr.org/sections/health...oise-but-can-enhance-whispers?t=1620726158021
    The foam plugs mentioned by kwun are a good solution as well. We used them at the shooting range during army service.

Still, it would be a personal choice of the athlete.
    For hobby players like me, making it into a final and having some people watching and cheering is one of the best "career" experiences ever.
    So most of professional athletes are very used to that cheering throughout their entire career (playing big matches at many levels since childhood) and either get a similar boost from it or they are so much in the "zone" that they don't notice / are not bothered by it.

18. Avian Rodrigues

s_mair - first of all .. I DO!! Those plugs would be a monstrosity if you hit your ear...if you like how it looks, it doesn't look good even if it is custom moulded AND WILL FALL OUT WITH HARD MOVEMENT...but your preference.
    ...secondly - have you ever worn a high compression, super light weight, close fitted, won't ever fall off ear muffled helmet with 50%-100% noise isolation (should have sweat padded material with great hold and comfort)? ..has it been produced as yet?? where is it?? I like the water polo helmet idea, but it does not have the noise isolation capability. I already spoke about sweat, foam and the ear and why I am uncomfortable with this... Also, it would introduce a test of hygiene if you pull out those plugs near to me, clean ear or not, just don't touch me, and wash your hands! It would also look bad if you pull them out and someone sees wax on it... If you think it looks better and won't fall out, that is your preference, cuz I'm sure with some hard movement and extreme pace, THEY WILL GAIN SLACK AND LOOSE HOLD/ TIGHTNESS, and I'm not gona be touching em every second to fix it, while I'm playing... these helmets are an idea I brought up to support my team badminton format, and I am beginning to think a lot of people are stuffers who like sweat leaking in their ear drum like kwun ... just look at the sweat and dirt you guys want to leak in my ear because you don't sweat a lot!! At least someone realizes it is a thing of personal preference... while these ear covers are not yet available, they would be worth it for me.

intrepid - most badminton matches in the final have controlled cheering and not much noise.. In my team format idea, where there are simultaneous matches, and the audience cheer randomly as the points are scored (noise props, horns, screams), the decibel level may affect certain players, and hence, the idea to bring the best form of noise protection to the game - light-weight ear muffled helmets, that do not cause sweat to leak into your brain. And don't think of it as bike helmets, nothing like it has been produced as yet, it is a high compression, super light weight helmet, it can be sweat padded or made of hard high compression rubber material for the best hold, once it can get rid of sweat quickly and easily (sweat absorbent, easy to put on and take off), it will be great...A much thinner sweat padded (or can just be rubber), high compression version of this boxing helmet would be ideal..it doesn't even have to touch the face, once the muffs can be held firmly in place on the head, it's just to make it comfortable during play for the face skin and when sweating. Your plugs afer a while will also brand and hurt at the back of the ear.. thanks for the feedback

Attached Files:

#17 Avian Rodrigues, May 11, 2021
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

you should seriously channel that enormous amount of energy into actually doing something instead of torturing your keyboard. And not sure if you noticed, but your CAPS LOCK KEY seems to GET STUCK from TIME to TIME.

Why would you even want that amount of acoustic isolation from the outside world while playing badminton in the first place? I don't get it.

20. Avian Rodrigues

Don't worry sir, I don't over emphasize ...silence plays a major role in everything...and either way it was brought up for a team badminton idea where it would be able to reduce decibel levels from the randomly (for simultaneous matches) cheering audience who would be allowed more lenience in decibel levels AND even try to propose, if they require sound in the ear-muff, some mic/audio receiving setup for the helmets that can send all court sounds (would need advanced mic setup around court) to the ear-muffled piece (there should be technlogy to block out audience sound and relay court sounds in a clean and efficient manner to the helmets, this includes no mic transmission noise) ..if it's not too much technology for a big match.. you know what, i'm thinking if soccer could have done this, they would have helmets - maybe put the coaches in a soundproof box..turn off the player's mics and only when they have to speak turn it on...but i think the tech is out there

and you know what..I hate that idea of a water polo helmet!!!! Like how the heck are those ear muffs suppose to hold!? and in badminton, it would look as if I'm swimming, literally, cuz it has no sweat absorption material or at least material to not make sweat look so bad...once a light-weight high compression helmet can be produced that supports little to no movement on the head, this would be the ideal sports helmet...but if you have any idea for ear-muffs you can send as well, but not stuffs or plugs, I need 'vacuum' to make the silence, not stuff...

#19 Avian Rodrigues, May 11, 2021
  21. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Hearing Protection? When Carolina Marin is playing at the same time? :D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.