World Championships 2009 day Six(Aug 15, 09) SEMIFINAL!

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by venkatesh, Aug 14, 2009.

1. spoileddelights

spoileddelights Regular Member

Student
    i think tmr's matches will be quite boring.. looking forward to XD and MD only

2. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

LD VD Sonny match was boring. Both look tired and pale, not 100%.

LD not his usual self. He did not pump his fist when he win a point even in the third set. He pump and yell very weakly after he win the match. I have not seen him play like that for a very long time. Not a good sign for tomorrow. Maybe he had something wrong.

Sonny also the same. Even when he win the second set, he did not seem pump up at all.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i really enjoyed the md match between koo/tan vs jjs/lyd..
    unfortunately mas lost...haizzzzz

4. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    Wow... I saw the match and I think it was a very interesting tactical match... :)

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Overall, some pretty exciting matches in the Semis..

..just a few comments:

- Chen Jin played as if his head was ready to be put on a platter should he lose. All out & never really gave Taufik any chance to get comfortable. For Taufik, i overestimated his effort prior to his Semis encounter. He certainly doesn't have it in him anymore, esp. when playing against a player of Chen Jin's caliber.
    On the other match, LD seemed to coast to his victory, despite Sony winning the 2nd game. I thought Lin Dan wasn't in trouble throughout the game. The 2nd game of his match showed he was ready to give up the game and play Sony in the 3rd game. The 3rd game, Lin Dan stayed focused and shifted to his 5 gear. Sony tried his best but just wasn't good enough.

- Missed watching probably the most exciting match in the whole Semis, the MD match between JJS & LYD vs. KKK & TBH. Both MD matches looked very interesting. Both MAS pairs came close to upsetting their opponents.

- LYD & JJS reached the MD Final as i had expected. But a slight surprise for his lost in the XD event. At the same time, not a surprise for the DEN pair of Laybourn & Juhl to advance as they've been on a roll. I think it'll be challenging for LYD to win both the XD & MD events, **unless**, he gets a very capable partner in the XD. Someone along the line of Yu Yang or Ma Jin or Gao Ling to complement him.

- WS and WD matches went pretty much as usual. I wonder if anyone else in the stadium was watching them intensely..;)

Anyway, here's a recap article for the Semifinals day:

http://www.calcuttanews.net/story/531274
    ==========================================================
    World Badminton men's, women's final to be all Chinese affair
    Calcutta News.Net
    Saturday 15th August, 2009 (IANS)

Led by 'Super' Lin Dan, a strong field of Chinese players stormed into the finals of the World Badminton Championships here Saturday, underlining the country's dominance of the sport.

The men's and women's singles, as well as the women's doubles finals, will be an all-Chinese affair.

Fifth seed Lin, who will now attempt to become the first player ever to claim a hat-trick of world titles, was given a tough fight by sixth seeded Indonesian Sony Dwi Koncoro in the men's singles semi-final, but the Olympic Champion prevailed 21-14, 13-21, 21-15 in an hour.

In the title clash, Lin will meet second seeded Jin Chen, who outplayed veteran Indonesian Taufik Hidayat 21-16, 21-6. Jin had defeated Lin in the All England Championships last year.

In the women's singles final, fifth seed Xie Xingfang, who won the title in 2005 and 2007, will clash with seventh seeded Lan Lu.

Xie defeated France's Pi Hongyan 21-18, 21-8 while Lan staved off stiff resistance from second seed Lin Wang 21-18, 21-19.

The women's doubles semi-finals was also an all Chinese affair. And in the final, Yawen Zhang and Tingting Zhao will meet second seeded Shu Cheng and Yunlei Zhao.

Yawen and Tingting defeated Jing Du and Yang Yu 24-22, 18-21, 21-8 while Shu and Yunlei beat Jin Ma and Xiaoli Wang 21-16 21-12.

The men's doubles final will also see the Chinese pair of Yun Cai and Haifeng Fu taking on South Korea's fourth seeded Jae Sung Jung and Yong Dae Lee.

Jae and Yong upset Kien Keat Koo and Boon Heong Tan of Malaysia 16-21, 21-14, 22-20.

Yun and Haifeng also defeated a Malaysian pair -- Mohammed Zakry Abdul Latif and Mohammed Fairuzizuan -- 18-21, 24-22, 21-15.

The mixed doubles will be the only final without a Chinese representation where Denmark's Thomas Laybourn and Kamilla Rytter Juhl will take on second seeded Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir of Indoenesia.

The seventh seeded Danish pair entered their maiden final with a crushing 18-21, 21-9, 21-18 victory over the top seeded South Korean Yong Dae Lee and Hyo Jung Lee.

It could have been an all-Denmark final in the mixed doubles, but the other semi-finalists Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen fell just short of upsetting Widianto and Natsir, going down 18-21, 21-14, 18-21 in an hour-long match.

The Indian challenge might have come to an end, but fans filled the stadium in large number.

Lin had played with a mission in the tournament so far, but was clearly in trouble against Kuncoro, who had lost to the Chinese in the final of the last World Championhips in Malaysia.

The crowd could not have asked for more as Lin and Kuncoro dished out a quality fare. It was certainly one of the best matches of the tournament and Lin showed why he is called 'Super.'

'Kuncoro played a matured game. He played patiently and made it difficult for me. He did not allow me to finish off the points quickly,' Lin said.

The 25-year-old said that China has asserted its supremacy in the game.

'It does not matter who wins tomorrow. We are from China and the country is assured of a gold. It only shows China's dominance in the sport. I have started taking it easy after the Olympics and do not think about winning,' he said.

#665 ctjcad, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    good effort by both mas md,but not enough
    work harder

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

its enough actually, its just that LUCK was not on their side that time. Lucky lucky korea.

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if u consider the way kkk burried themself with unforce error to be the luck of korea,then i can accept:p
    now is the time kkk need to improve:cool: