World Championships 2009 day Five(Aug 14, 09) QUARTER FINAL!

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by george@chongwei, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..i don't know if LCW & WMC should marry quickly or if they are gonna be the next Alan & Susy in 2012 OG, but i've mentioned in another recent thread, in the Professional Players forum, that if i'm LCW's manager or coach, i will tell him to focus on winning the major titles from now on. His focus now should be on winning the major titles. Since he lost again in this yr's WC, then he has 2 more chances to claim that WC title. As well as 2 more chances to claim the AE title. The sooner he gets them, of course, the better. Once he gets both of those titles, then i'd tell him to focus on the 2012 OG. If need be, take 1 yr to really prepare himself, by playing in less tourneys. His window of opportunity is still there, but it's gonna get smaller and smaller.
    ..the part abt LCW having nerves issues in big stage>pressure is one part. He is after all one of 2 faves to win this whole thing (same in my book). But to play away from KL & in a non-Final match and he still has nerves issue?? More to do also with his opponent and their past meeting..
    As for Pemuda, yeah, he's probably smiling. I'd love for him to show up again. Maybe we all can shower him with confettis and flowers when he returns..:cool:

#1161 ctjcad, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Quick recap..

..ENG will get a chance to host the 2011 WC..Next yr, the WC will be in France. So, my guess is the quality of livestream should be better..:cool:
    ..really?? Sony really said that?? where did you get the news from??..

Anyway, to recap the QF day..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/448939/1/.html
    ==========================================================
    Badminton: Top-ranked Lee and Zhou bite the dust
    Posted: 15 August 2009 0318 hrs

HYDERABAD, India : World number ones Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia and Zhou Mi of Hong Kong crashed out of the world badminton championships here on Friday, losing in the quarter-finals.

Fifth-seeded Chinese Xie Xingfang pulled off the day's first upset when she downed top-seeded Zhou 21-15, 21-18 in 47 minutes to enter the women's singles semi-finals.

Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro, seeded sixth, then shattered top-seeded Lee's dream of winning the maiden world title with a 21-16, 14-21, 21-12 victory in the men's singles quarter-finals.

"I have beaten him before and the strategy this time was to attack because if I had slowed down he would have attacked," said Kuncoro, who will clash with fifth-seeded Lin Dan.

"I was a little bit down in the second game but I picked myself up in the third. I always stay focused and relaxed. Tomorrow's game is going to be equally difficult."

Defending champion Lin was involved in an exciting 49-minute match with third-seeded Peter Gade of Denmark before winning 22-20, 21-16.

Xie, looking for a record third World title, conceded that she had to fight for each point against Zhou.

"It was not an easy match. It was very close and tough," said Xie, who will meet France's Pi Hongyan.

"Zhou Mi is a great player and I have played her before many times. I respect her game. The important thing was that I had to remain patient and I managed that towards the closing stages which helped me win the match."

The other semi-final will be contested between seventh-seeded Lu Lan and second-seeded Wang Lin of China.

Wang ended India's challenge with a 21-16, 21-19 victory over sixth-seeded Saina Nehwal.

Pi staged a remarkable rally to overcome 11th-seeded German Juliane Schenk 15-21, 21-15, 21-19, while Lu outplayed a rusty Tine Rasmussen of Denmark 21-15, 21-13.

"I didn't expect to win here and my performance was far below the top level," said the third-seeded Rasmussen, playing her first tournament in five months due to an ankle injury.

"In fact, I should not have been here because I haven't fully recovered. I started playing matches only a week ago. I have beaten her in the All-England Super Series final last year, but today I was nowhere near my best."

The Chinese said she was better prepared this time after having lost to Rasmussen in England.

"I was able to stop her from playing an attacking game," said Lu. "I lost to her last year, but I was not thinking about that. I was better prepared this time. I just went and played my shots."

Pi had to struggle for points against the German, but kept her cool under pressure to make her maiden semi-final appearance at this event.

"I am really happy to reach the semi-finals," said Pi.

"She played very good and I had to keep changing my tactics. It was one of those matches where you can lose in a short period. It was a close game.

"After losing the first game, I just kept telling myself 'don't give up, don't make mistakes. You have to believe in yourself'."

Schenk, who had upset fourth-seeded Chinese Wang Yihan in the previous round, matched the Frenchwoman for a major part of the 62-minute encounter before losing control in the final stages.

Fourth-seeded Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia was also involved in a tough match before qualifying for the semi-finals with a 21-19, 21-19 win over Denmark's Jan O Jorgensen.

"It was a hard match," said Taufik, who trailed 16-19 in the opening game.

"You have to keep your cool in such situations. That's the secret. I have been in such a situation before. I am lucky that I am in the bottom half of the draw which is not as tough as the top."

Hidayat will take on second-seeded Chinese Chen Jin, a 21-10, 21-13 winner against Indonesian Simon Santoso.

- AFP /ls

#1162 ctjcad, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

for sure, despite all the praises n worship dat leecw got; only the blind n deaf still thinks he is championship material.

cannot really perform in major tournaments.
    and he will forever be 2nd rate.
    poor lee.
    if only he live in time with no lin dan, no taufik and now no sony.

4. DairyRon

DairyRon Regular Member

Student
    Poor LCW... Lost to Sony.:crying:

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

that defeat to LCW is nothing to ashamed of.. every players have their bad days..life still goes on;)