World Championship qualifiers

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by fan, Feb 20, 2003.

1. fan

fan Regular Member

3rd and 5th ranked Chinese women double left out of WC. Poor Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen.

IBF should have given them the Wildcard.

#21 fan, Mar 10, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2003
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    stages : may be they are doing to limit the number of players? either way, yeah, i think your suggestion still hold.

noticed that Trikus and Halim isn't selected. and INA chose to skip Flandy and Eng Hian.

it does suck for Yang Wei and Zhang ZW. Zhang came close to the final last time. and IBF chose to give the wildcard to Kellogg and Emms...

i also notice Zhang/Zhang isn't playing MD. China may be letting ZhangWei to focus on the XD for the Sudirman Cup. glad to see that Chen Qiqiu and Zhao TT also qualified. Chen seems to perform well in big events. if the two pair can hold the anchor for China, China will have a pretty good chance at taking the Sudirman Cup yet again.

hm.... that reminds me, SC is only a week away, i think i should post an update to the analysis article.........

3. Xu Zhen

Xu Zhen Regular Member

The Wild Card for Kellogg and Emms was given not by the IBF but by the BA of E and the IBF just gave a Wild Card to nobody except Gade so far, maybe the IBF only want to use one Wild Card this time.

As for Yang Wei / Zhang Jiewen, I think the IBF can not give them a Wild Card at all. You see, China is too strong especially in women's part shuch as singles, doubles and even in mixed doubles. would the IBF or others associations like to see all-Chinese Semifinals in WD?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    True. But Yang/Zhang are the only pair that I can see who have any chance of upsetting Huang/Gao. Huang/Gao must be the strongest candidates for capturing the world title. (Unless the Koreans are going to pull a surprise package out....but the chinese pair will be preapred)

5. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Don't you mean Zhang Jun instead of Zhang Wei?