Withdrawals - French Open

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2009' started by Thom_bad, Oct 9, 2009.

1. crystal612

crystal612 Regular Member

Student
    MD: Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng (CHN) withdraw...

2. dchoy

dchoy Regular Member

Any idea why? Injury?

3. crystal612

crystal612 Regular Member

Student
    Cai said that they are very tired after national game. But they will participate Hong Kong Open in Nov.

4. dchoy

dchoy Regular Member

Thanks! I love seeing them play so I am a little disappointed, look forward to seeing them in HK Open next month!

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    it's easy to see why Cai Yun, Fu Hai Feng, Gong Wei Jie, Wang Xin .... withdrew.

Gong WJ has to play in the qualification round, after winning that, he has to play BCL in the first round. Then only 1 out of two BCL and GWJ has to go home. Which means it's a waste of money, time, effort and energy for China. Why not just rest them at home to save everything. Wang Xin had the same reason. So do Cai/Fu and others.

CY/FHF was arranged in the same quarter as other 3 chinese pairs: Guo Zhen Dong / Xu Chen, Tao Jia Ming / Sun Jun Jie, and Zhang Nan / Cai Biao. Therefore there would be only 1 pair can advance to the final 4. Why not just send 1 pair instead of 4.

As BWF let players play at early rounds, it doesn't make sense for the countries which pay big money for the tournaments. Why not they can decide at home who's better instead of sending all.

Of course for individual players, they can play it as person to person, but most players are paid by their association/country, then the countries could only support the better one and save the money for the one who has to go home after the early rounds.

I'm sure most players cannot financially support themselves by the prize money. That's the reason BWF should re-think the draw. China team (Li YB) was dumb before, now he got a little bit smarter now. I'm sure he will withdraw all the players who will face thier senior country man in the early rounds!

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Really??..^^

- So, what happens in the future, if CHN's top 3 WS players (WL, WYH and LL) were to end up in the same quarter or same half and 2 of them have to play against each other before the QF Rd?? Will LYB pull a fast one and withdraw 2 of the gals out??..

- I didn't know whether LYB was dumb before & now suddenly became a lil bit smarter..?!

- As for BWF's current draw system yes, there had been discussion and talks on a better way to formulate it. See the General Forum section/sub-forum..