WISE upgrade | Glide-to-Activate gripper module

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Nov 30, 2022.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I got my hands on that new version as well and the different release switch design looks very good. The release is now triggered with a second microswitch and they got rid of the PCB:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only weird thing is that you can only release the tension with that switch, but not start the tensioning process with it. So you have to use the glide-to-activate function to trigger the tensioning. Not an issue at all imo, but at least something to keep in mind.

SweString and DarthHowie like this.
  2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Question. What was the height in mm for each of the pucks @Michal crafted for you?

I just installed mine last night for my v1 Gamma 6004 and I barely lost 360 rotation with Chudek supports (half a racket shaft max depending on racket model). To make up for added height of the new gripper I simply removed the Gamma adapter mounted for the rails. If i used the original Gamma Supports the racket would sit higher above the mounting arms and I would not have any issues with 360 rotation.

To re-iterate, depending on your machine (and model year) and support setup the amount of height added will vary.

For the time being i've added a stack of 3 washers for each turntable screw hole to raise my turntable.
    I certainly recommend you mount a few different rackets (old and new) as the "thicker" shafts will slightly bump/graze the diablo. I can still use the original screws at the moment (i had longer M8 x65 in my original setup as i had to raise the turntable a lot).

I'm definitely considering the more elegant solution to raise the turntable. I'll think about it after i finish a queue of rackets.

Racket shaft clearance with no washers.
    PXL_20230115_231634554.jpg PXL_20230115_231713100.jpg

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Congrats on your upgrade first of all! :D

They are 6 mm each.

DarthHowie likes this.
  4. DarthHowie

Thanks! At minimum I'll need 2. I'll know more after I string a varying degree of rackets.
    There's little to nothing more I can add beyond your thorough review.

Aside from a faster motor to pull the string or buying a brand new machine altogether, I believe I've exhausted every possible upgrade for my Gamma 6004 (don't give me any new ideas!)

s_mair likes this.
  5. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I bought mine back in 2019 from AEF China.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

DarthHowie likes this.
  6. DarthHowie

Update: I've strung 6 rackets so far. Turns out when I securely mounted the racket to the machine and have 3 washers to raise the turntable, I could get 360 rotation! 2 out of the 6 (YY Ti-3 and YY Astrox 3DG) rackets would graze the diabolo and not rotate 360 smoothly.

There was one thing I noticed that may be a possible con
    Wise 2086 V12 Settings - Pre-stretch and Constant pull are on:
    1. Set desired tension: Let's say 25.2 lbs.
    2. Tension string with glide to activate
    3. You'll see it pre-stretch above 25.2 lbs
    4. Pre-stretch finishes but and tension drops 1-2 lbs below the set tension.
    5. Continues pulling until hit set tension and does it's beep beep
    6. Wise is Constant pull to constantly trying to correct and hovers around be 24.9 - 25.1)
    Steps 4 to 6 seem to take a bit longer compared to the old gripper particularly due to the drop off and correction in tension after pre-stretch completes.

I was expecting my time from tension to clamp to be slightly faster but i'm waiting a few seconds longer between steps 4 and 5. Obviously every few more seconds of waiting after each pull will add up in time.
    (I'll try to get video of this hopefully tonight if i string another racket).

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed that?

I'm wondering if the added weight of the new gripper makes it more difficult for the wise to be more precise instantaneously compared to the lighter original gripper + diabolo

tjiew likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Interesting observation. I never use pre-stretch so I had to make a test. Here you go (10% pre-stretch, first with using the diabolo, then without):

Looks perfectly normal to me. Funny thing I noticed is that without the diabolo, the response seems to be more direct and more precise. You can hear and see the gripper moving when it adjusts the tension to the set value. And even afterwards, it stays spot on. Anyone tried this with the regular gripper?

Which version of the WISE do you have?

#27 s_mair, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  8. DarthHowie

After looking at my video again maybe I'm seeing things, but your tension certainly doesn't dip as low before correcting itself compared to my video below:
    String used BG-65
    Tensioning the Main
    Wise 2086 V12

Maybe i'll shoot another video when tensioning the crosses as I think that's when it's more noticeable. Regardless of the gripper I suspect it's generally due to the added friction of the cross weaved against the main which may add some miniscule time to reach set tension.

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Looks and sounds as if your WISE also have many, many more rackets on the clock. But overall it looks okay in your video. So weird that it drops noticeably below the set tension there.

Have you tried it without using the disbolo? I’ve done some more tests and I consistently get the feel that the tensioner is reacting faster and more precise when you don’t use the disbolo.

No matter what I tried, I couldn’t make it to temporarily drop below the set tension though.

#29 s_mair, Jan 18, 2023
    DarthHowie likes this.
  10. DarthHowie

Thanks for comparing and conducting some tests on your end. I'll see if there is any difference...
    As for how many rackets I've done since owning the Wise in January 2012 I can get you an exact number: 4245
    11 years and still going strong >knock on wood<

Overall i still feel it's worth the purchase. I'll just have to dig a bit further and investigate.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Good lord almighty. And never did any serious maintenance on the mechanics I assume?

If you ask me, it’s about time to go through this procedure:

A (un)WISE teardown
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...teardown.160646/&share_type=t&link_source=app

The way yours almost refuses to move after pushing the release button reminds me of my 92 years old grandma being asked to get up from her favourite armchair.

12. DarthHowie

No serious issues whatever so far. When the machine is not in use I put a (bicycle) cover over it.
    Haha...I bookmarked that post and read it many years ago. =)

I'm not sure i'll go through with that but i'll read it again as a refresher.
    If i ever disassemble it then i'll do it when the season ends and i don't have to coach. Just swamped right now.

13. DarthHowie

Ok I refreshed myself... Definitely need to do a deep clean. that's on my todo list then... 11 years of crud build up for sure.
    I'm sure my machine is out of warranty :cool:

@Mark A suggestion of the motor swap....god damn that is the one missing upgrade, unless cleaning it up makes the pull noticeably faster (which i expect).

#33 DarthHowie, Jan 18, 2023
    s_mair likes this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Please make sure to document the cleaning process with some pics!

The robustness of this thing is just amazing. Hard to believe when you hear that asthmatic pulling sound for the first time.

15. DarthHowie

I guess the Wise's current slowness and noise was it's way to tell me to clean it!

When i get some free time I'll take some pics of disassembly and add to the original unwise teardown thread.

Seems disassembly of WISE isn't too difficult and stressful (not brain surgery) based on @Mark A, @DuckFeet and @xZhongCheng experiences.

s_mair likes this.
  16. DarthHowie

Confirmed that not using the diabolo got more consistent pulls.
    Ultimately i need to clean the internals of the WISE to maximize its potential.

s_mair likes this.
  17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

...and this is me going without using the diabolo for the next couple of jobs to see if there are any downsides. The upsides are pretty obvious. :D

Jokes aside, is there a consent if using a diabolo or not makes a signficant difference in terms of damaging the string during the process? IMO as long as the string is fed in a straight line into the gripper plates (which is the case at least on my setup) it shouldn't be any serious issue. @Alex82, I remember that we've had this discussion before - what's your stance on this?

18. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    The diabolo reduces the pressure of the gripper on the string. The tighter you pull, the more the gripper squeeze together. Unless you can regulate the distance as with the Wise.
    The original Wise gripper (as I still know him) damages the string "a lot". You can see the damage that better on monofilament Tennis strings.
    Every time you wrap the string around the diabolo reduces the pressure (because of the friction) on the string a little bit.

Also, the diabolo guides the string correctly (in the same position each time) into the gripper. And prevents the string from having an angle at the gripper. The new gripper looks much better than the original. The original has a "sharp" edge at the front:
    https://stringing.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/wise_2086-6.jpg
    And here for comparison the gripper from a Yonex machine:
    https://stringing.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/yonex-es5protech-gripper-1.jpg
    So if the string does not run straight into the Gripper, it CAN damage the string. But I think that's more of a problem with tennis strings. Badminton strings are relatively robust in this aspect.

Your "problem" with the gripper could be the following:
    The Wise is not very solid and only like straight pulls.If you pull sideways, the Wise doesn't sound so good. I've also read about a case where the Wise broke while stringing Prince racket with O ports (Tennis), where you must pull sideways if you not string 50/50 or use the Prince tools.
    That can be more or less your problem. The string is maybe not in one line to the gripper. Thus, the diabolo generates a downward force (leverage), which then creates more pressure on the spindle gear inside. If you guide the string on the bottom of the diabolo (upside down), the diabolo creates a force upwards.
    It is hard to see in the videos if the string is in a straight line or not.

If you have no reason not to use the diabolo, it's just laziness. So use it if you have no disadvantages (except time).

kwun, DarthHowie and s_mair like this.
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

At least on my setup, the string enters the gripper plates in a dead straight line. Can't make a picture right now because I don't have any rackets in backlog atm. But still it could be possible that the load vectors are slightly different when the string is wrapped around the diabolo instead of just touching it at the top.

The edges of the GtA gripper are way more gentle than the on the original gripper, so I don't worry that much about the string being damaged with this one:

[​IMG]

Fully agreed. I have strung a racket yesterday without using the diabolo. And it confirmed the impression that the WISE was pulling more precisely to the set tension and didn't have to correct itself as much as with using the diabolo. The reaction just seems more direct. This is at least a small advantage. Is it enough to let me skip using the diabolo consistently without being nagged by my guilty conscience? I'm not sure yet.

20. DarthHowie

I've always used the diabolo. Only tried without using it for 2 rackets using the new gripper as the gripper plate is angled downwards vs straight horizontal in the original.

It makes sense that the original gripper plates may bite too much which is likely why i always used the diabolo (my old memory is fading).

Thanks for your suggestions. I likely believe the source of my little issues will be resolved once i clean up the internals of the Wise after 11 years of use. I'm sure to take a video afterwards to see the difference.