Will Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong do better without Rexy Mainaky?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 3, 2011.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Haha.... Its too late to appologize... too late.... ohhh ohhh lol

2. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Suprisingly some Bcers here still put hope on them.

Underdog? Low profile? OG Gold medal?

Stop dreaming like those jokers in BAM.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Well, you know what my dad always said, Having dreams is what makes life tolerable.

4. extremenanopowe

I thought it is food and the other thingy that makes men tolerate or happy? lol. ;)

BTW, do they have targets to set before going to DO and FO ??

You mean they have to start from scratch again? Ridiculous... ;)

5. victory

victory Regular Member

Seems like a lot of you guys already give up on them. Nothing wrong but the MAS team is in a dilemma. If MAS split them now, we do not have any representative in MD in OG. That means zero chance to win any medals. Can Hoon thien How/ Tan Wee kiong qualify OG in May 2012? It remains a question mark.

MAS and BAM has invested too much on kkk/tbh to dump them at this stage. They are holing BAM's throat and BAM knows it. Just look at how they can request to change coach.

But I think BAM needs to implement two prong strategy.

On one hand keep them and motivate them.

On the other hand let them know that if they fail to deliver OG, they will be dump inside the refrigerator. They will not be given chances.

Other wise these two fellows will think they will always be given chances. After OG, there are world championships, AG, TC and SC. They think the worst scenario is being plit. They think MAS will always need them to play in these big matches.

Most immportantly, BAM must put focus on bring up junior players to replace KKK/TBH.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Split them after Oly 2012. Don't think they will win the title with these performances. That is if they qualify for Oly 2012.

7. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    i think it's not a good idea to change the coach in 1 year time before the olympic ... look what rexy's had done with the womens' department... we can see that we r going to have another good womens double in the making :) ... i dont think splitting them now is a good solution either (maybe after OG12 will be orait, provided this pair cant progress anymore)... the are many things that will be taken into consideration... :

1.qualifying ranking points
    2.to form chemistry partnership will not take short period of time
    3.we r lacking of 'great' world class doubles...

i think in humble opinion, there are several considerations here:

1.maybe change their game style (not too dependable on their defence... be aggresive like the korean)
    2.change their usual formation - more flexible (usually kk will play ath the front and tbh at the back... maybe they shud be more flexible just like cy-fhf)
    3.extra training
    4.more variety shots
    5.less risky shots at crucial moments... :)
    6.be more arrogant on court (just like what they did in 2006-2007)
    7.more psychological game (mind game-just like the manager in EPL always do :))

actually both of them have everything to be the best, it's just a matter of finding the right 'combinations' of strategies & technic as most of other pair now have studied kkk-tbh game (i think china & korean always do their homework on their mistakes and opponents weaknesses)...

i would like to share 1 thing with bc's members, when i watch denmark open 2011 final, i can see lyd-jjs and fhf-cy gave their fully best .. they treat the final just like olympic game final where they will give everything in every final they reach (espeacially when meeting their opponent from china, korea, malaysia or indonesia)... maybe we're lack in it... well, it's just from my humble opinion... anyway, kkk-tbh is still the best bet for our md gold in OG12... and i really hope they can do it again just like asian games in doha 2006... :)

#327 TheSmasherKing, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

maybe thats the maximum they can do and they've reach the peak of their talent and cant improve anymore.. and other pairs will be very familiar with their style and therefore its easy for other pairs to win against them... unlike other pairs who keeps improving and doing different things and styles, KKK/TBH is being stagnant and has no more room for improvements.. sad :(

its all just my 'maybe' as i can hardly watch them play anymore. TV only broadcast quarter finals, semi and finals.. i dont see them reaching that stage now so its all my 'maybe' :p

9. TheSmasherKing

Goverment officer
    i agree... it's all about 'MAYBE' :)

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    :D:D:D Perhaps KKK/TBH do not want their matches to be televised back to Malaysia. Therefore they do not want to make it to the Quarter-Finals and/or higher rounds. This really causes frustration to BAM and/or many KKK/TBH's fans. :eek::eek::eek:

11. Lobeh

Lobeh Regular Member

Well, with Rexy they still managed to get to the semis and finals. Then, their stumbling block was the 2nd Korean pair. Since their request for a new coach they are down to losing to unheard or unproven pairs in the 1st and 2nd round.
    Goes to show the quality of Rexy's coaching and he probably was getting frustrated at their lack of commitment. Many a times I read where he would mention that need to train harder in order to keep up.
    But, now a Malaysian coach and it's the sad ol 'tidak apa' attitude so prevalent in the society. Couple of exceptions would be Nicol David and the torch bearer Lee Chong Wei. Poor chap has to now contend with Lin Dan and Chen Long with Wang Zhengming fast breathing down his neck. Reminds me when Camilla Martin used to say she had to face the Great Wall of China, now it's happening to Chong Wei.
    Sad also to think he yet again has to face a fresh Chen Long and should he win then there'll be Lin Dan to contend with. Very punishing. And for Christ sake please don't write he didn't do this or that in order to win. I'm sure he would if he could.
    And btw, although not nice China are doing what needs to be done to maintain their supremacy. The much malinged LYB is the best team manager ever in badminton.

12. PrimeShuttler

PrimeShuttler Regular Member

Health Dept
    I would like to believe that this is another temporary slump. They had a bit of a slump in 2008 and 2009 before bouncing back up again in 2010. The thing is, even the mighty CY/FHF also had a period where they dropped down the rankings and didn't win much for a few months.

I have to say though that whenever I have watched LYD/JJS this year, I ask myself how does KKK/TBH expect to beat them. The only time KKK/TBH beat JJS/LYD was in 2010 WC MDQF when LYD was still relatively recent coming back from serious injury. LYD this year has been pretty awesome. LYD/JJS can sometimes even make 4-time World Champions CY/FHF look ordinary.

I hope that TKH and YYS can really use some Korean-style training/techniques to lift KKK/TBH out of the slump. I tak boleh tahan everytime I see them losing. How did a pair who showed so much promise and awesomeness back in 2006/2007 become so ordinary. Maybe that's also part of the problem. They came onto the scene with so much fireworks, that we expect the best from them everytime. Prob also like most MAS athletes, they also cave in to pressure, and lose their self-belief.
    Come on KKK/TBH. Pick yourselves up from the floor. We await your resurgence.

13. extremenanopowe

It is not pressure. It is attitude and lcly.... ;)

14. TheSmasherKing

Goverment officer
    yup... it might be a temporary slump as well... i agree with u... i just hope that i wouldnt take too much time to bounce back... they are running out of time actually :)

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Agree. To get a better chance to win a medal at the 2012 Olympic Games, it is best for KKK/TBH to be seeded in the Top 4 at the Games; so that they won't need to face the other Top 3 before the Semi-Finals.

Time is running out for the Qualification Period. ;););)

Hope that they can get back in shape and form before the Qualification Period is over.

#335 chris-ccc, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    LOL! perhaps true... if they lost and yet nobody watched how they lost... less criticism... at least they still can say "WE HAVE TRIED OUR BESTA" but once live on TV.... cannot lol

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Cheah Soon Kit asked: Can Pang Cheh Chang take Koo and Tan to a higher level?

It is interesting to find Cheah Soon Kit has now commented on KKK/TBH current performance.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/10/29/sports/9798430&sec=sports

====== * ====== part of article ====== * ======

By RAJES PAUL
    Saturday October 29, 2011

Soon Kit said that he himself was not clear as to who was responsible for major decision-makings in the national body or whether they knew the consequences of their actions.

“I have worked in BAM before and I have good friends in the set-up. But as an outsider now, I am able to see things in a different perspective. In the case of Koo and Tan, who is responsible for them? Who is monitoring their coaches?” asked Soon Kit.

“Koo and Tan asked to train under a different coach recently (from Rexy Mainaky to Pang Cheh Chang) but did anyone look into the reasons as to why they needed to change. Who is responsible for the appointment of the new coach? Can this coach take Koo and Tan to a higher level?

“I know that another coach from South Korea (Yoo Yong-sung) has been roped in. Is he a proven coach? Is he going to change Koo and Tan’s training programme? Why take a gamble and bring in someone new with less than a year before the Olympic Games?

====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * ======

18. victory

victory Regular Member

It is always easy to criticize. Cheah Soon Kit worked as WD coach in BAM before. Why didnt he voiced his criticism when he was in BAM? Nevertheless, I am totally agree that BAM sucks. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM of BAM is leadership. FISH ROT FROM THE HEAD.

Throughout the years BAM have brought in good coaches. MAS also have good junior players. But the result that BAM produce is mush less than desired. It is largely a leadership and management issue.

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

A TOTAL FAILURE in the european super series.. forgot: still need more time.. but how long? OG12 is less than 1 year to go.

20. extremenanopowe

This is an insult to these 2 guys. lol.

I still think it is attitude tho. ;) How did they win the AE and AG then? ;)

[h=3]Wednesday November 2, 2011[/h][h=1]Kien Keat and Boon Heong not good thinkers, says Cheh Chang[/h][h=2]By KNG ZHENG GUAN[/h]

PETALING JAYA: The problem with doubles pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong is that they are not very good thinkers on court. That is the harsh indictment of the coach the duo chose over Rexy Mainaky.
    It has taken only a month for Pang Cheh Chang to discover that what ails Kien Keat and Boon Heong is their speed of thought – the lack of it.
    The world No. 5 pair opted for Cheh Chang after an underwhelming performance in the World Championships back in August. They duly expressed their dissatisfaction with Rexy and demanded a change in coach.
    The BA of Malaysia (BAM) acceded and the nation’s top doubles pair were seemingly on their way back after fighting performances in the China Masters and Japan Open in Septem*ber.
    [​IMG]Back to square one: Koo Kien Keat (left) and Tan Boon Heong crashed out in the early rounds in the Denmark and French Opens.
    But last month, they were once again back to their worst when they crashed to early defeats in the Denmark and French Opens after struggling against lower ranked opponents.
    It even prompted South Korean head coach Sung Han-kook to pronouce that Kien Keat-Boon Heong were mentally weak after their uninspiring first round loss to third ranked Korean pair Kwon Yi-goo-Cho Gun-woo in the first round at Copenhagen.
    “The doubles game nowadays is more technical and very much strategy based. It is something Kien Keat-Boon Heong have yet to comprehend,” said Cheh Chang, who is trying his utmost to revive the pair’s game and fortunes.
    “The Korean and Chinese pairs have moved up a level and have a very good combination of defence and attacking play.
    “The European pairs may not have the best attacking game, but they are stronger and smarter when it comes to strategies on court.
    “Kien Keat-Boon Heong, on the other hand, are still playing their own game and being left behind. It allows their opponents to set a trap and easily expose them on the counter,” said Cheh Chang.
    “I’m trying to get them to understand their weakness and help them develop new ideas on court. Hopefully, they’ll start to think, add a new element to their game and make it less predictable.”
    Given their recent poor form, Cheh Chang has decided to wait a little longer before deciding whether to enter Kien Keat-Boon Heong for the Hong Kong and China Opens later this month.
    Meanwhile, South Korean coach Yoo Yong-sung has signed a two-year contract with the BAM and will report to head doubles coach Tan Kim Her today.
    He will assist Cheh Chang in training Kien Keat-Boon Heong for the morning sessions and help Kim Her with the rest of the doubles squad in the evening.
    The BAM are getting a special tutor to help Yong-sung learn English in order to better communicate with the players.