Why Taufik is number 1 in Sudirmap cup?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open / Chinese Taipei Open ' started by 2cents, Nov 10, 2005.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    I was just browsing the official IBF web site:
    http://www.worldbadminton.net
    and looking up the rankings, and found out Taufik
    was the number one in Sudirmap cup.

He was given 4003.96 points while Lin Dan got only 3873.16 points.

then I checked the records, Indo team met China team twice.
    The first time, Taufik did not even show up. Lin Dan defeated Sony 2:0,
    and also important, Lin Dan's win helped China team took the 1:0 lead over Indo team, and finally defeated Indo team 5:0

the 2nd time, Indo team and China team met again in the final, Lin Dan defeated Taufik 2:0 and helped China again with 1:0 lead, and finally helped China team 3:0 defeated Indo and won the cup.

I thought it's Lin Dan's win and Taufik's loss also. How come IBF, the official badminton bureaucracy thinks differently, they approved Taufik with more than 4000 points win over Lin Dan, what's the logic here? Taufik won because he didn't showed up first time? or Taufik won because he lost(not won) 0:2 to Lin Dan? or because he lead his team to loss? What's the logic here??? :eek:

Anybody knows why? What's the spirit behind this? Encourage people not to play? or encourage people to loss? :mad:

2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

besides, Lin Dan even didn't drop any set, He beat anyone 2:0 in the Sudirman cup. What Lin Dan did could be called perfect. While Taufic was far away from that, not only loss to Lin, and less wins, also some wins and not that convincing.

Most important, Lin helped China win all the way, this is what team competition for, while Indo team had lost to China even twice. From either team performance or personal performance, Lin Dan was perfect at Sudirman, while Taufic was a totally loser from any angle. How come he's the MVP of the event? MVP, in my opinion, could be the best in personal performance, or the one representing the champ team. Lin Dan was exactlly the one, while Taufik was neither of that.

#2 2cents, Nov 10, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  3. wanalexwan

wanalexwan Regular Member

Players/pairs can only win points for their best result in a 12-month period in any of the above team events.

·[font=&quot] [/font]If a player/pair win a match, they get their average (calculation of average is shown below) plus the sum of the total ranking points of their opponent(s) divided by 100.

·[font=&quot] [/font]If a player/pair lose a match, they get their average (see calculation below).

Lin Dan -
    15/9,15/11 W Young Soo JANG KOR 17/15,15/9 W Taufik HIDAYAT INA 15/6,15/8 W Rasmus WENGBERG SWE 17/14,15/10 W Sony Dwi KUNCORO INA
    Best player(highest ranked) beaten was taufik.
    Points awarded is own's average + taufik's/100
    36502.98/10 + 22286.37/100 = 3873.16

Taufik
    15/10,15/3 W Peter GADE DEN 15/17,9/15 L Dan LIN CHN 15/5,13/15,15/9 W Wei NG HKG 15/1,15/7 W Hugi HEIMERSSON SWE
    Best player(highest ranked) beaten was gade.
    Points awarded is own's average + gade's/100
    22286.37/6 + 28946.96/100 = 4003.9

4. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Thanks for your explanation. Very flawed way of awarding points. The IBF should re-think the way they award points in team competition.

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Thanks for your very detailed instruction. Now I understood it technically, but not spiritually, it is totally unfair. Highest ranked played was determined by process, not capability, second, Lin Dan cannot beat Lin Dan himself, so assume he was 1:1 with Taufic, then Taufic would have got 44073/100 = 4407.3 points alone while Lin Dan could have got only 22286.37/100 = 2228 points. This doesn't make any sense.

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

IBF's stupidity is unthinkable. Opponents' average points, which means if you have more wins, you will probably lower your points, or more exactly, if you have more wins, your points will be close to the middle points of all the players. that's the reason Taufik won less, got higher pointer. How stupid it is, I cannot imagine anything more stupid than this on earth. Let us assume, if you beat everyone on this earth one by one, then your points is just the exact middle among 6 billion people. If you beat just one, lose to all others on this planets, you would be ranked definitely the same as that guy you beat no matter how good he is. But if you beat two guys, and lost to all the other, you can only be in the middle of those two guys. If you beat anyone on the earth, IBF will think there are 3 billion people better than you! :rolleyes: This is the logic of IBF! :D :D :D :D :D I cannot help laughing that's the meaning of their formula!!!

I'm always wondering what's the hindrance of the badminton popularity, now I know why.

IBF=one crap + another crap

#6 2cents, Nov 10, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2005