Why men like towel grips but women like synthetic grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Qidong, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    While watching tournaments on youtube, I noticed all top male pro players use towel grips but female pro players like synthetic grips. Anyone knows why?

And I try towel grip and it's very slippy. I lot players use some powder. Does the powder make the towel grip not slippy?

2. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Ive often wondered the same thing!

On the powder it does help with the initial slippery nature of a fresh towel grip for sure, i much prefer the towel grip when its actually well worn and firmed up a bit, also thins up a bit as when fresh the grip can feel a little large for me initially

Qidong likes this.
  3. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Maybe men sweat more or faster?

I'm a man and I use synthetic grip because it's way easier to grip for me than towel which slips out of my hand easily even with grip powder. But the feeling of towel grip is the best.

Qidong likes this.
  4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    According to several studies it's proven that women have less sweat glands than men. Also the body of women start to cool down later due sweating than men. The body temperature of men is ~0,8°C higher than women. As consequence men sweat more and earlier than women, because their body start earlier to cool down by sweating. So not wonder, that men prefer a grip which absorb sweat better.

Qidong likes this.
  5. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

Also women have smaller hands than men. A towel grip is always thicker than an overgrip. Plus the tendency in the last years for grips getting smaller it will not be easy for many women to find a towel grip which is small enough.

The ultrathin li ning towel grip I use is hard to find and many do not even know it exists.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 4 XL mit Tapatalk

6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Really? I played vs. woman who are taller than me and I'm not a hobbit.

Frankly I know many women who prefer a thicker grip than I does. They also have smaller hands than me. IMO the handle size is not equal to hand size. I met Mads Pieler Kolding. A giant, hands bigger than my head and even he use a relative thin grip.

7. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Well generally speaking woman does have smaller hands than man, try to read the context a bit, most of us is talking about it generally not from just your own experience :eek:

And about using PU grip and towel grip i think it comes down to every single person preference, but you are not wrong there about many male pros using towel grip especially mens singles, but in mens doubles i think theres more player using PU grip?Not really sure but thats how it seems for me :D

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Sure, but the question was why you barely see a woman using towel grip. IMO the smaller hands theory and that grips turn turn out to thick for woman can't be used as a general argument. There are exception and even these exceptions which don't fit into this small hand category don't use it. And try to read the context: THERE NOT ONLY ONE GRIP SIZE! which justify such argumentation. So why don't use tall females in the professional circuit, who can get any grip they want (e.g. G6) don't use it. The argument don't work in general. It's like saying man have bigger hands than woman and that's the reason why they use towel to enlarge the grip. :rolleyes: That's stupid as well.